Matty Roper Interview (1 Viewer)

Cranfield Sky Blue

I have got to say I really found it interesting. MM seemed to speak honestly including talking about the rough times. And yeah he had to go... Much as I am a Coventry fan, I realise he isn’t. Higher league. More money. We accepted the bid. Off you go fella with my good memories.

Also great hearing about the semi final and final thoughts. Resonated with my joy!

Interesting about the big screen before the semi. Didn’t know that.

Well done Matty.

Liquid Gold

Fair play to him for putting the effort in.

Marc confirmed that he loved playing with Max as he does all the dirty stuff.

Sounds amazing the County pre-match Robins playing videos from all the family and friends of the players.

Doyle sending pictures of the Ricoh and the Mansfield ground to him is classic.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I have got to say I really found it interesting. MM seemed to speak honestly including talking about the rough times. And yeah he had to go... Much as I am a Coventry fan, I realise he isn’t. Higher league. More money. We accepted the bid. Off you go fella with my good memories.

Also great hearing about the semi final and final thoughts. Resonated with my joy!

Interesting about the big screen before the semi. Didn’t know that.

Well done Matty.

I will always respect McNulty for what he achieved here and without him, we’d be looking at another season in League 2, no question about it. He didn’t let the abuse and jeering get to him and proved a lot of people wrong. McNulty was a fantastic striker for us and he will be sorely missed.

With regards to the interview, there was nothing earth shattering in that interview and it was all pretty much run of the mill, I had a great time and definitely didn’t leave for the money patter.

I’m still unsure as to how McNulty will step up to the Championship, as the most amount of goals he scored in League 1 was 12 and the Championship is definitely a harder league to play in but none the less, good luck to him at Reading. At least McNulty can say he used to play for a big club.

Nonleagueherewecome

I will always respect McNulty for what he achieved here and without him, we’d be looking at another season in League 2, no question about it. He didn’t let the abuse and jeering get to him and proved a lot of people wrong. McNulty was a fantastic striker for us and he will be sorely missed.

With regards to the interview, there was nothing earth shattering in that interview and it was all pretty much run of the mill, I had a great time and definitely didn’t leave for the money patter.

I’m still unsure as to how McNulty will step up to the Championship, as the most amount of goals he scored in League 1 was 12 and the Championship is definitely a harder league to play in but none the less, good luck to him at Reading. At least McNulty can say he used to play for a big club.

Nah, nah, course he didn't....but he did.

What it comes down to really is that both he and his agent realised his stock may never be higher. An average L1 season with him scoring 8-12 goals wouldn't get him a big money move and he has a very mediocre record at that level, so he's agitated for a move to cash in on last season whilst he can. He'll probably be bombed out on loan to this level when he fails in the division above it, but I hope he sleeps well at night (on top of a big pile of money).

stevefloyd

wooohowwoooo we've got Michael Doyle...masterstroke signing last season lets hope we have one this season!!

Brighton Sky Blue

Nah, nah, course he didn't....but he did.

What it comes down to really is that both he and his agent realised his stock may never be higher. An average L1 season with him scoring 8-12 goals wouldn't get him a big money move and he has a very mediocre record at that level, so he's agitated for a move to cash in on last season whilst he can. He'll probably be bombed out on loan to this level when he fails in the division above it, but I hope he sleeps well at night (on top of a big pile of money).

So if you got offered a better paid job at a larger company you'd decline it?

fatso

So if you got offered a better paid job at a larger company you'd decline it?
It depends on many issues. Such as is your family happy where they are and do you have to relocate. Will you actually be playing. Where can you improve etc etc.
But ultimately, as a footballers career is so short, you have to look at maximising you earnings ASAP. So in short, yes, they move for the money.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

I really, really do not understand the bitterness towards him over the move. Why wouldn’t he want to cash in while his stock is high? It makes perfect sense, far more than showing loyalty to a club that gave him a platform to succeed – which in itself isn’t a reason to stay. Sure it’s disappointing as we’d all have loved to have kept him, but it’s more than understandable.

It’s clear from the interview he is very grateful to the club and people in particular (Doyle, Robins) and will hold fond memories – I think that’s all you can ask for really in the modern age. And - as many have pointed out on here - careers in football are short, players need to maximise their earnings and potential as quickly as they can. I hope the move is a successful one for him and goes a long way to setting him and his family up for life after the game.

Brighton Sky Blue

It depends on many issues. Such as is your family happy where they are and do you have to relocate. Will you actually be playing. Where can you improve etc etc.
But ultimately, as a footballers career is so short, you have to look at maximising you earnings ASAP. So in short, yes, they move for the money.

Think that's a bit harsh on McNulty in this particular case.

Liquid Gold

It's understandable for him to maximise his earnings while he can but the whole 'wouldn't you take a better paying job' doesn't quite apply to football. They have a 10-15 year career doing what they love. Going for bigger money at the first opportunity can mean they're moving too quickly which leads to a, them not playing, losing vital time in a short career and b, a potential loss of greater earnings down the line.

No animosity towards McNulty as he is earning a lot more and has the potential to challenge himself at a higher level but I think it's a strange move and he might have been better off being the main man in a team a league below rather than a potential squad member a league above.

Adge

He will be a big miss but I wish him all the best-28 goals speaks for itself. Shows how thick some fans really are with some of the stick he got for leaving after his contribution for us last season. Probably the same fans who gave Haynes a pat on the back when he left, praising his “contribution of hanging around the first team and contributing nothing”
As far as the interview goes-just run of the mill dross from Matty Roper and the usual loaded questions tripe.

Si80

Listened to this on my way into work this morning. Enjoyed it. I think McNulty came across really well on it and is under no illusions that he will be spending some time on the bench at Reading (even more so now they've signed Baldock) but he was willing to take that risk.
I'll happily take him back in January on loan :angelic:

martcov

Which is fair enough but I don't think anyone can be begrudged for it. I'm doing it myself next month.

Tbf, the difference is the length of time you have in your career. Footballers have relatively short careers and have to make hay whilst the sun shines. You could probably bide your time for a few years and still be plying your trade in 30 years.

stevefloyd

I think fair play to him, I was not always his greatest fan but he contributed massively to our promotion last season and earned himself a move, sure I would like to have seen him stay but I guess he got offered a damn sight more money than he was on here so good luck to the lad....thanks for the great memories Marc ...well after you was shit at the beginning of the season ;)

Brighton Sky Blue

Tbf, the difference is the length of time you have in your career. Footballers have relatively short careers and have to make hay whilst the sun shines. You could probably bide your time for a few years and still be plying your trade in 30 years.

As a player yes, but then there's coaching/management/scouting/punditry etc to get involved in. They generally all want to be performing at the highest possible level even if that means having a smaller role initially.

Users who are viewing this thread