Match Preview Article (1 Viewer)

SeasideShrimper

All,

As well as helping opposition fans such as your good selves ahead of the matches, I also write match previews for https://www.leigh-on-sea.com/

If possible, I'll need one or two (or however many!) to answer a set of questions which will be included in the preview. I will then post a link to the preview on here once it's been published.

Questions...

1. What is your name and how long have you supported Coventry?

2. What are your views on how the season has gone for you so far?

3. Who has been your most impressive player and why?

4. Which result have you been most pleased with so far and why?

5. What are your views on Southend United?

6. Are there any teams in League One who have surprised you?

7. If you are attending the game, will this be your first visit to Roots Hall?

8. Links - What do you think of former Southend winger Jacob Murphy and current Blues midfielder Gary Deegan?

9. Where do you expect both Coventry and Southend to finish this season?

10. Score Prediction for the game

Cheers

SBAndy

My name is Andy and I have supported Coventry for around 16 years now. It mixed in a bit with my glory-hunting schoolboy days of supporting Man Utd, but I realised when I turned 15 that “supporting” a club I had no affinity with was a bit of a waste of time.

It’s gone far better than I think anyone could have realistically expected before the season started, but almost with a disappointing hue. Our run of 2 defeats in 18 would be lauded as a grand success in any other season I have followed City, but with the team we have it is a concern to most how much of that run is padded out with draws. It’s obviously great to avoid defeat, but we have greater ambitions and we need to convert some of our draws into wins if we want to keep touch with the pack.

This is a tough question. We’ve got the league’s top scorer in our team in Adam Armstrong, so it’s difficult not to say him. However, the combination of John Fleck and Romain Vincelot in the middle has been an absolute revelation, and allowed them both to flourish. I’d probably have to plump for Fleck, who is unfortunately suspended for this game, because he is finally starting to show glimpses of the promise he showed as a youngster. His range of passing is probably the best I’ve seen in the league, and his added tenacity and positional sense shows why we fear losing him in this transfer window or the next.

I’ll have to say the 2-0 victory over Wigan on the opening day of the season. It’s not that we played brilliantly, and it isn’t detracted from by the fact that Wigan were horrendous, but a week or two before this game I’d been to watch us play Oxford United in a pre-season friendly and we showed no signs of improvement. At that point I genuinely wondered why I’d bought yet another season ticket and we thinking that relegation was all but a formality. Fast-forward to that Wigan game, our 4-2-4 lineup, and it was a different team. I think most fans knew at that point we were in for something special this season.

I’ll be honest, I don’t really have an opinion on Southend. They’re a typical League 1 side. I suppose we haven’t really met all that much in recent years, so that would go some way to explaining why. All I know of Southend is that Freddy Eastwood – the £1.2m carthorse – scored a free kick to knock Man Utd out of a cup a fair few years back.

I think Burton have been a surprise to everyone in the division. They have such a solid defence, and that’s a great platform to build on. Hopefully they concede in a few upcoming games as they don’t tend to score that many, and we could do with them dropping a few points! Aside from Burton, I think the fact Blackpool aren’t glued to the bottom of the table is a mild surprise, as I thought they’d drop straight through this league and probably be battling Stockport within 3 years.

I’m afraid I’ve never been, and I won’t be going on this occasion either. I don’t get to as many away games as I would like to, and it’s a little awkward to get to and from by train.

8. Links - What do you think of former Southend winger Jacob Murphy and current Blues midfielder Gary Deegan?
Murphy is a rather frustrating player, because when he is on song he is right up there for the best player in the league. He tore Gillingham – at the time top of the league – to shreds in the first half of our match at the Ricoh, but hasn’t really turned in a similar performance since. I want him to get more involved, and it seems that the game passes him by for the first hour of most matches. I still think he is an important player for us. Moving onto Deegan, he wasn’t too bad for us. Certainly proved to be worth the punt we had on him. I think we picked him up for about £30k and whilst he didn’t pull up any trees he wasn’t the worst player I’d seen. Although having seen the state of his beard now, I’m glad he’s no longer here.

I’m still harbouring hopes of a league title, but we are now at a point where we have to rely rather heavily on other teams falling apart. Realistically, we will probably finish between 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 4[SUP]th[/SUP], which is still better than I could have ever imagined at the start of the season. Southend will finish around mid-table I’d expect; it seems your form earlier in the season has tailed off a bit, but there’s plenty of dross that will finish below you.

Southend 0-2 Sky Blues
My name is Andy and I have supported Coventry for around 16 years now. It mixed in a bit with my glory-hunting schoolboy days of supporting Man Utd, but I realised when I turned 15 that “supporting” a club I had no affinity with was a bit of a waste of time.

It’s gone far better than I think anyone could have realistically expected before the season started, but almost with a disappointing hue. Our run of 2 defeats in 18 would be lauded as a grand success in any other season I have followed City, but with the team we have it is a concern to most how much of that run is padded out with draws. It’s obviously great to avoid defeat, but we have greater ambitions and we need to convert some of our draws into wins if we want to keep touch with the pack.

This is a tough question. We’ve got the league’s top scorer in our team in Adam Armstrong, so it’s difficult not to say him. However, the combination of John Fleck and Romain Vincelot in the middle has been an absolute revelation, and allowed them both to flourish. I’d probably have to plump for Fleck, who is unfortunately suspended for this game, because he is finally starting to show glimpses of the promise he showed as a youngster. His range of passing is probably the best I’ve seen in the league, and his added tenacity and positional sense shows why we fear losing him in this transfer window or the next.

I’ll have to say the 2-0 victory over Wigan on the opening day of the season. It’s not that we played brilliantly, and it isn’t detracted from by the fact that Wigan were horrendous, but a week or two before this game I’d been to watch us play Oxford United in a pre-season friendly and we showed no signs of improvement. At that point I genuinely wondered why I’d bought yet another season ticket and we thinking that relegation was all but a formality. Fast-forward to that Wigan game, our 4-2-4 lineup, and it was a different team. I think most fans knew at that point we were in for something special this season.

I’ll be honest, I don’t really have an opinion on Southend. They’re a typical League 1 side. I suppose we haven’t really met all that much in recent years, so that would go some way to explaining why. All I know of Southend is that Freddy Eastwood – the £1.2m carthorse – scored a free kick to knock Man Utd out of a cup a fair few years back.

I think Burton have been a surprise to everyone in the division. They have such a solid defence, and that’s a great platform to build on. Hopefully they concede in a few upcoming games as they don’t tend to score that many, and we could do with them dropping a few points! Aside from Burton, I think the fact Blackpool aren’t glued to the bottom of the table is a mild surprise, as I thought they’d drop straight through this league and probably be battling Stockport within 3 years.

I’m afraid I’ve never been, and I won’t be going on this occasion either. I don’t get to as many away games as I would like to, and it’s a little awkward to get to and from by train.

Murphy is a rather frustrating player, because when he is on song he is right up there for the best player in the league. He tore Gillingham – at the time top of the league – to shreds in the first half of our match at the Ricoh, but hasn’t really turned in a similar performance since. I want him to get more involved, and it seems that the game passes him by for the first hour of most matches. I still think he is an important player for us.

I’m still harbouring hopes of a league title, but we are now at a point where we have to rely rather heavily on other teams falling apart. Realistically, we will probably finish between 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 4[SUP]th[/SUP], which is still better than I could have ever imagined at the start of the season. Southend will finish around mid-table I’d expect; it seems your form earlier in the season has tailed off a bit, but there’s plenty of dross that will finish below you.

Southend 0-2 Sky Blues

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

1. What is your name and how long have you supported Coventry? Can't tell you my name...enough potential wierdos on here let alone oppo fans knowing who I am. I want to be able to poke fun anonymously! I've supported Cov for nearly 30 years now.

2. What are your views on how the season has gone for you so far? The only club out of the 92 who've not had a top 6 finish in nearly 40 years tells you how this season is going. Well above expectations. It truly is a once in a lifetime season for some of the younger generation but to be top 6 this side of the festive period is amazing. Mowbray seems to squeeze more out of players like Fleck, O'Brien and Stokes and then has been shrewd in the transfer market with the likes of Joe Cole (still can't believe he's a Sky Blue)Vincelot and Ricketts on permanent deals and then using connections to bring in the likes of Murphy and in particular Armstrong who has been a revelation in L1. December and January has seen us drop off the pace a little and lose ground on those above us but overall, it's been a wonderful season for us.

3. Who has been your most impressive player and why? Adam Armstrong, no doubt. The lad has a great finish and unbelievable pace. For a lad of 18, he's years above his peers with his intelligence on the pitch. Unfortunately, he's not actually ours as he's on loan. From our own lot, James Maddison is the latest in the Cov production line of talent following the likes of Callum Wilson, Calum Davenport, Gary McSheffrey, Chris Kirkland to name but a few. Another great prospect and likely to be with a Prem club in the not too distant future. Another great talent. Romain Vincelot has also been a great acquisition anchoring midfield to allow Fleck a little more freedom.

4. Which result have you been most pleased with so far and why? I think back to the first game of the season at home to Wigan and I genuinely thought we'd get tonked. We won 2-0 and the set the pace for our first few months of the season.

5. What are your views on Southend United? If I'm honest, I know very little about you...is Phil Brown still there?! Not arrogant, I'm just oblivious! You get clubs who you dislike for a number of reasons and for me, there's a number of clubs that fall into the category. Southend aren't one. I nice little family club, no grudges or anything from me. Wish you luck for the rest of the season (bar Saturday!).

6. Are there any teams in League One who have surprised you? Burton and Walsall to be fair. I also thought Swindon and Sheff Utd might have been stronger than they have been.

7. If you are attending the game, will this be your first visit to Roots Hall? Not attending and never been. Only been to Southend once. Broke my thumb on a fairground ride when I was a nipper. Never been back. #scarred.

8. Links - What do you think of former Southend winger Jacob Murphy and current Blues midfielder Gary Deegan? Murphy has been a good loanee for us this season. A bit inconsistent but he obviously has talent as he's on the books of a PL team. With the right continued development he could become a really consistent top flight player. Deegan, always felt he didn't do what we had hoped of him. Only saw him live a couple of times and wasn't overly impressed but to be fair, he was playing in a cr*p team with a cr*p manager at the time.

9. Where do you expect both Coventry and Southend to finish this season? If Cov don't get a play offs spot, somethings gone majorly wrong. I think after the past couple of games (1 point from Walsall and Burton) that we'll struggle for autos but had you offered me play offs at the beginning of the season, I'd would've bitten your hand off. I probably wouldn't have put Southend towards the play offs at the beginning of the season either to be fair so credit to you for your current position. As mentioned earlier, it would be nice to see a club like Southend in the play offs (although not at our expense). Fair play to you.

10. Score Prediction for the game. We really need a win but you guys are top 10 for a reason so it'll be a close game. I'm plumping for either a 1-0 or 2-1 to us.

Last edited:

Astute

Astute. Went to my first game about 40 years ago. Ouch.

Not too bad. About what I expected.

Between Fleck for being the spark that gets us going and Armstrong.

Any game we have won.

South who? ;)

Burton.

At work :(

Murphy will be a good player if he can get more consistent. Deegan was OK at what he did. But he didn't do a lot.

Will reserve judgement until the transfer window closes. South who? mid table.

3-1 to the mighty Sky Blues :D

SeasideShrimper

**UPDATE** :facepalm:- Firstly, thank you for your help! As it stands, I won't be able to post the preview as the person who runs the site hasn't got back to me about it.

There is normally a space on the site on Thursdays/Fridays. Hopefully I've heard back from them by my lunch break, otherwise, the preview can't be posted.

Apologies for this, if there was any way I could repay you (apart from gifting you three points tomorrow) I would.

Skyblueweeman

**UPDATE** :facepalm:- Firstly, thank you for your help! As it stands, I won't be able to post the preview as the person who runs the site hasn't got back to me about it.

There is normally a space on the site on Thursdays/Fridays. Hopefully I've heard back from them by my lunch break, otherwise, the preview can't be posted.

Apologies for this, if there was any way I could repay you (apart from gifting you three points tomorrow) I would.

And I spent hours typing that up.

I tell you what, post me a bottle of Grey Goose to a collection address and we'll call it quits, yeah?

Users who are viewing this thread