Marc McNulty (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

He can, he scored 7 in 15 in the SPL which is at least equivalent to L1. He didn't do great at Sunderland but who does, I think he had a few injury problems too.

Given a run of games in League 1 he'd outscore Biamou and Baka put together imo.
After scoring six goals in his first eight games for Hibs, he got two in his next eleven that season. The goals were an exception, as proved by the season after, when he didn't do it inLeague One (the level he'd have been playing at with us) and hasn;t done it since in the Scottish premier, with two different teams.

The only hope of his stock rising higher had he stayed with us, it seems, is he'd have started the season well and got a move before deadline day. It's hard to believe that would have got him a better move than Reading, too. It's not like Reading haven't played him, either. he just hasn't shown anything when given the chance.

Now, all that could well be down to personality rather than natural talent, but Lee Fowler had all the natural talent in the world, but did well to milk us for £8kpw when he could...

Not sure outscoring Baka or Biamou is the criteria for a move to a bigger club than Reading, either!

Grendel

Without wanting to start the same bullshit debate off again I wonder if he'd have struggled with Biamou being out injured for the entire year in our first season back in League One.

Doubt it 45% of his goals were scored when biamou wasn’t on the pitch and he’d have had better players - hiwula and bright to feed off

Liquid Gold

Biamou has now played more games and scored more goals at Championship level than McNulty (and has a higher goals per game at the level). Who'd have thought that would happen this time three years ago.
That's absolute madness, someone has been proper fucking about with the Large Hadron Collider

superskyblue

Doubt it 45% of his goals were scored when biamou wasn’t on the pitch and he’d have had better players - hiwula and bright to feed off
Biamou is a much better striker partner than Hiwula would ever have been. You're right about Bright though.

Hertsccfc

The argument is more, who wouldn't jump at a massive pay cut going from an upstart tech company that is growing 50% per year to go to an established media outlet whose readership is dropping but still has talent on the books.

I know it's not perfect but McNulty backing his talent could be viewed in two ways.

1. He backed himself too much, took the move too early and ended up with 1 decent contract.
2. He backs himself to prove to do it in League 1, develops as a player and either stays here or goes somewhere on an even more lucrative contract and can maintain that income as he's now developed into a good enough player.

There are so many ways to look at it. Stephenson and Thomas moved too soon and are back where they started. Bigi didn't have the talent so was right to get what he could when he could. McNulty could have improved himself with another year and extended that expected payday.
I don't think Stevenson or particularly Thomas had the ability either. I am really not sure what made Leicester feel he could make it in the Premier League

Grendel

Biamou has now played more games and scored more goals at Championship level than McNulty (and has a higher goals per game at the level). Who'd have thought that would happen this time three years ago.

So did Kevin Kyle

Skybluedownunder

I disagree with this. Just the club he chose and the situation he was moving from, the team was set up for him, he was the main man and the fans loved him. He went to a club where the manager was on borrowed time and the next one wasn't bothered with him. In the mean time we've had another promotion and he's not done much of any note.

It's worked out perfectly for us:
McNulty - Cost £0 - Sold £1.2m - Profit £1.2m
Chaplin - Cost £500k - Sold - £1m - Profit £500k
Godden - Cost £750k

On our three main strikers we've gone from one that fired us to L1 to one that fired us to the Championship and made nearly a million in profit.

The Chaplin one we actually made a bit less, Portsmouth had 20% of any profit we made on Chaplin so they kept $100k of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread