Manchester City, an English club? (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Reading the BBC website about Man City's triumph over PSG in the Champions League, they gushed about what this success means to 'English football' and the 'English league'.

Maybe they did not notice that of Man City's line-up only Joe Hart is English, the rest of the 10 starters and all but one of the 8 substitutes were foreigners.
Since 2007 they have employed foreign managers, except for Brian Kidd who lasted just one month in 2013.
In contrast, from 1880 until 2005 all of their managers were English or Scottish.
Since 2008, they have been owned by Sheikh Mansour from the UAE.
As for their 'Player of the Year', the last English one was back in 2003-2004 (Shaun Wright-Phillips).

Not very English in my opinion.

Otis

Paris St Germain last night.

Trapp - Germany
Aurier - Ivory Coast
Silva - Brazil
Marquinhos - Brazil
Van den Weil - Holland
Rabiot - France
Motta - Brazil
Di Maria - Argentina
Maxwell - Brazil
Ibrahmavic - Sweden
Cavani - Uruguay

Just one Frenchman.

Johnnythespider

Paris St Germain last night.

Trapp - Germany
Aurier - Ivory Coast
Silva - Brazil
Marquinhos - Brazil
Van den Weil - Holland
Rabiot - France
Motta - Brazil
Di Maria - Argentina
Maxwell - Brazil
Ibrahmavic - Sweden
Cavani - Uruguay

Just one Frenchman.
Is Paris in Germainy

SkyblueBazza

Reading the BBC website about Man City's triumph over PSG in the Champions League, they gushed about what this success means to 'English football' and the 'English league'.

Maybe they did not notice that of Man City's line-up only Joe Hart is English, the rest of the 10 starters and all but one of the 8 substitutes were foreigners.
Since 2007 they have employed foreign managers, except for Brian Kidd who lasted just one month in 2013.
In contrast, from 1880 until 2005 all of their managers were English or Scottish.
Since 2008, they have been owned by Sheikh Mansour from the UAE.
As for their 'Player of the Year', the last English one was back in 2003-2004 (Shaun Wright-Phillips).

Not very English in my opinion.
Not very Manchester either according to the names on the teamsheet - so does it really matter in the modern world?

...onwards & upwards PUSB

ajsccfc

Athletic Bilbao will be the only team left, and even they've snuck a few Frenchmen in over the years.

jimmyhillsfanclub

One of my customers is a born & bred Man Citeh fan....was a STH for nearly 30 years......he & several of his mates didn't renew last year & will not longer do so as he said his passion for HIS club is gone as it no longer feels like HIS club.....

I spoke to him after they beat PSG this week & he just shrugged his shoulders......

.....I know its a bit of an "old skool dinosaur" vs. "modern Sky generation fan" argument, but give me CCFC hanging by a frail financial thread in the 3rd tier over a rich arab or oligarths play thing of a plastic club any day.....

As for the modern Man Citeh fans......You've become just like united.....just like united....just like united

Terry Gibson's perm

I thought Psg for all their talk were average. Bland is a very limited manager they would be better off with Pelligrini but if he doesn't get the man Utd job Paris may be the next stop on Jose's world tour.

i don't care where the players come from it is a small world now.

ajsccfc

I have to say I do miss when an international tournament would lead to the discovery of great players you'd never seen before. It's nice that you have the entire world of football available to read about and watch at your fingertips, but a lot of the mystery has gone.

Ashdown

One of my customers is a born & bred Man Citeh fan....was a STH for nearly 30 years......he & several of his mates didn't renew last year & will not longer do so as he said his passion for HIS club is gone as it no longer feels like HIS club.....

I spoke to him after they beat PSG this week & he just shrugged his shoulders......

.....I know its a bit of an "old skool dinosaur" vs. "modern Sky generation fan" argument, but give me CCFC hanging by a frail financial thread in the 3rd tier over a rich arab or oligarths play thing of a plastic club any day.....

As for the modern Man Citeh fans......You've become just like united.....just like united....just like united

A secretive hedge fund v Genuine investment for club and community from a Billionaire....................Err, what shall it be ?

jimmyhillsfanclub

A secretive hedge fund v Genuine investment for club and community from a Billionaire....................Err, what shall it be ?

Ha ha....well yeah...fair point, well made.

I suppose the point I was trying (and clearly failing) to make was that such a massive investment & transformation of what was a community based club can actually be detrimental & alienating to the original supporters & stakeholders....so whilst it may deliver "success" in obvious terms....its long term implications are not necessarily as rosy as those looking in would expect.....

...or something like that....

Terry Gibson's perm

If the Man City fans get fed up I am happy to do a swap with our owners, thinking about it though did our beloved owner not try there before us.

Ashdown

I suppose the point I was trying (and clearly failing) to make was that such a massive investment & transformation of what was a community based club can actually be detrimental & alienating to the original supporters & stakeholders....so whilst it may deliver "success" in obvious terms....its long term implications are not necessarily as rosy as those looking in would expect.....

Yeah I do get you and appreciate what you were saying, however..............

wingy

Yeah but how about the last time we made the grail and Derrick Robbins put the money in?:facepalm::p

Covstu

I don't understand these Citeh fans who want the 'old days' back at Maine Rd. The investors have probably put more money into the local community that any other club in the league and the success has also been superb. What do these people want, to be sat in League 1 and getting demolished by Man Utd everytime they play them? Hmm don't buy it myself!

fernandopartridge

I don't understand these Citeh fans who want the 'old days' back at Maine Rd. The investors have probably put more money into the local community that any other club in the league and the success has also been superb. What do these people want, to be sat in League 1 and getting demolished by Man Utd everytime they play them? Hmm don't buy it myself!

Have you been to Eastlands?

It's dreadfully sterile, with silly gimmicks of the type Wasps come up with, it's as if people aren't there for the football. The rich owners are not bothered about those fans who stuck by the club at Maine Rd. They're bothered about attracting as many 'customers' as possible, who those customers are is irrelevant to them.

Ashdown

Have you been to Eastlands?

It's dreadfully sterile, with silly gimmicks of the type Wasps come up with, it's as if people aren't there for the football. The rich owners are not bothered about those fans who stuck by the club at Maine Rd. They're bothered about attracting as many 'customers' as possible, who those customers are is irrelevant to them.

That probably sums up most of the clubs in the Prem and about half in the Championship then. If you want a proper grassroots spit and sawdust type environment for the average working man, you likely have to look further down the pyramid and then the quality of the actual football is generally crap.

CJ_covblaze

If the Man City fans get fed up I am happy to do a swap with our owners, thinking about it though did our beloved owner not try there before us.

Does anyone remember the Cov fan, Gary Hopkins who tried to buy us (with help from his rich mates) before SISU came in? You'll never guess where he is now?

Terry Gibson's perm

Does anyone remember the Cov fan, Gary Hopkins who tried to buy us (with help from his rich mates) before SISU came in? You'll never guess where he is now?

Gary Hopkins don't remember him, can remember Dhinsa and Gary Hoffman but not that one.

Terry Gibson's perm

Just had a look on linkdin I was more interested in what Alicia Klein was doing:whistle:

chiefdave

The name rings a bell but I can't place him. We've had so many people promising all sorts of things its hard to keep track!

CJ_covblaze

Gazolba

Is Manchester in England?

You completely missed the point of my post. How does the success of Manchester City reflect on 'English football' or the 'English league' when virtually none of the organization from top to bottom is English?

Sumo the Micky Quinn

You completely missed the point of my post. How does the success of Manchester City reflect on 'English football' or the 'English league' when virtually none of the organization from top to bottom is English?

Because Manchester City represent the English Premier League in the champions League.

England was on the verge next season of only having three teams enter the champion league instead of Four, Manchester City's rise to the semis has boosted England's chance of keeping the four champions League places, Especially as next season the champions league places will be taken up by European well knowns :sarcasm:- Leicester & Tottenham and maybe even West Ham.

The Italian Leagues teams earlier exit guaranteed four teams for England next season.

Each European league team entry gets points over 5 years and England have recently been poor whilst Italy only has 3 qualify for the champions League are closing in on England in the points system.

The number of points per country League:
http://www.uefa.com/memberassociatio...try/index.html

The number of points per team:
http://www.uefa.com/memberassociatio...lub/index.html

CJ_covblaze

NorthernWisdom

Depends if he's in possession of a wand.

Yeah...

As an aside, should have sent major alarm bells ringing when his bunch pulled out, and when a random Greek multimillionaire decided he had better things to spunk his load on.

We're cursed when the only people who'd want to buy us are mentalists and carpetbaggers!

As for Man City... English? Not exactly. Not just them though, the same issue with Arsenal, Chelsea etc...

What Man City *are* doing, however, is trying to set up an academy to be envied so despite everything, of the new money clubs they're the ones I kind of root for, because they do seem to want to at leat embed themselves within their locality.

CJ_covblaze

Yeah...

As an aside, should have sent major alarm bells ringing when his bunch pulled out, and when a random Greek multimillionaire decided he had better things to spunk his load on.

We're cursed when the only people who'd want to buy us are mentalists and carpetbaggers!

As for Man City... English? Not exactly. Not just them though, the same issue with Arsenal, Chelsea etc...

What Man City *are* doing, however, is trying to set up an academy to be envied so despite everything, of the new money clubs they're the ones I kind of root for, because they do seem to want to at leat embed themselves within their locality.

Alki David! Impressive CV. Worth about £2bn atm. You're spot on with Man City's set up. They're investing off the pitch now with an aim to make themselves self sufficient in the future.

Do so much for the local community too. When my son was at RMCH for his first few months you could see the impact they had in that hospital. To United's credit they also do a lot more than most other clubs in the country to help local causes. They certainly do things right up there.

Sick Boy

Indeed they did, also Villa and Soton.

Our highly knowledgeable fans actually goaded Southampton's fans online after we were taken over and they went down to League 1.

Terry Gibson's perm

Indeed they did, also Villa and Soton.

Our highly knowledgeable fans actually goaded Southampton's fans online after we were taken over and they went down to League 1.

They must have thought they would come to the Midlands with all the other crazy owners Villa,Birmingham and Forest all we need is Leeds and Blackpool to move here and we will have a full set:facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread