Magnus Hedman (1 Viewer)

procdoc

Where would you rank Hedman amongst the goalkeepers who have played for us? Did anyone not rate him?

SAJ

Great stopper had a cube on the end of his foot and he regularly hit the angle.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Decent keeper and followed on the tradition we seemed to have of decent shot shoppers, can't kick for love nor money. Preferred Oggy. Also far too handsome to be a keeper.

oscillatewildly

Overrated, in my opinion. Did well when he first came in as Oggy's replacement but I will never forgive him for quite literally throwing the game away down at the New Den - early 2000's.
We had clawed our way back into the game to lead 2-1, courtesy of a superb Jay Bothroyd effort. Then Hedman decided to do his coco the clown act down at the other end and gift Millwall two late goals.
I was very critical of him ever after.
Went on a stag weekend to Hamburg, around 2002-2003. Saw him in a strip bar with a couple of his mates. Went over to have a chat with him but he continually denied he was Magnus Hedman!

NorthernWisdom

I didn't rate him. Athletic shot stopper, but the defence always seemed more organised with Oggy behind them, even when he was well past his peak. Not convinced by Hedman's positioning either, and it was partly that which meant he got to show the spectacular.

The best keepers don't need to be showy, they just are.

Adge

Didn’t rate him. Went even more down in my estimation when the fan ran up to him at PNE when we were getting hammered by them, Hedman shit himself then got all brave when the stewards had detained the pitch invader!:emoji_smile:

Last edited:

Gynnsthetonic

Having had Les Sealy, Raddy Avromovic then Steve Ogrizovic I dont think we were quite ready for good looking goalkeepers!

Seamus1

The fact that Hedman came in and within half a season had replaced Ogrizovic as Number 1, was really a sign as to just how poor previous back up goalkeepers were in the previous 10 years or more. I think only Filan played at Premier League level outside of Coventry City.

Hedman was the number 1 keeper when we went on that fantastic run of 7 wins on the bounce, conceding only two goals in the process (against Liverpool and Bolton away). Then when Ogrizovic came in for the Sheff Utd game we drew and nearly lost it at HR thanks to his appalling kick late on. I’ll always remember Hedman’s return from injury in the rather dour 0-0 against Wimbledon, when his return got the biggest cheer of the night (although it was somewhat unfair to boo the team for that game)

Last edited:

JimmyHillsbeard

Where would you rank Hedman amongst the goalkeepers who have played for us? Did anyone not rate him?

He was great In the Prem. he should have displaced Oggy as first choice ‘keeper about 6 months before he did. He picked up more than a few injuries in the relegation season and Kirkland emerged as a possible successor. Yet after relegation it was Kirkland who the club cashed in on.

In the 2001-2 season in the old Division One, Herman was I’m afraid a liability. He worked out (as did a few others) that his World Cup place in the Summer was not under threat as long as he kept himself injury-free and he simply stopped coming for crosses or entering any mildly hazardous scenario.

Of course he went to Japan/Korea in the World Cup and moved on out of the club straight afterwards. We continued to languish in the second tier (which was, it should be pointed out, an underachievement).

so in summary. Good start. Terrible finish.

Legia Sky Blue

When we signed him I expected him to be a lot better than he turned out. The writing was on the wall when he was not deemed good enough to replace a geriatric Oggy, who he took half a season to displace. In summary we've had worse goalkeepers, but we've also had far better.

procdoc

The fact that Hedman came in and within half a season had replaced Ogrizovic as Number 1, was really a sign as to just how poor previous back up goalkeepers were in the previous 10 years or more. I think only Filan played at Premier League level outside of Coventry City.

Hedman was the number 1 keeper when we went on that fantastic run of 7 wins on the bounce, conceding only two goals in the process (against Liverpool and Bolton away). Then when Ogrizovic came in for the Sheff Utd game we drew and nearly lost it at HR thanks to his appalling kick late on. I’ll always remember Hedman’s return from injury in the rather dour 0-0 against Wimbledon, when his return got the biggest cheer of the night (although it was somewhat unfair to boo the team for that game)
That Wimbledon match is still the worst match I have ever attended. And there have been some poor ones

Terry Gibson's perm

A very capable goalkeeper at the time he replaced oggy he was streets ahead of him he used to throw the ball out and we could be on the attack in the time oggy was still looking for the valve on the ball for his massive kick straight upwards.

skybluepm2

Always rated him, was sad the way it ended as I thought he could’ve gone on to be a bit of a legend but he lost his way once we were relegated. The 0-1 home defeat to Grimsby where he was dispossessed on the halfway line still lives long in the memory. A real wake-up call to SHFWHF.

skybluepm2

I forgot that this game was Strachan’s last in charge. From the highlights it didn’t look as though we played too badly, should’ve scored a hatful.

SlowerThanPlatt

I forgot that this game was Strachan’s last in charge. From the highlights it didn’t look as though we played too badly, should’ve scored a hatful.

I think we were 5th or something similar that season with a dozen games remaining? We then lost 8 of the next 10. I do wonder how different it could have been if we went up first time of asking - if you don’t get up the first season you come down you can stay there for a very long time, Leeds, Forest, Sheffield Wednesday. All took trips to the third tier

rondog1973

Overrated, in my opinion. Did well when he first came in as Oggy's replacement but I will never forgive him for quite literally throwing the game away down at the New Den - early 2000's.
We had clawed our way back into the game to lead 2-1, courtesy of a superb Jay Bothroyd effort. Then Hedman decided to do his coco the clown act down at the other end and gift Millwall two late goals.
I was very critical of him ever after.
Went on a stag weekend to Hamburg, around 2002-2003. Saw him in a strip bar with a couple of his mates. Went over to have a chat with him but he continually denied he was Magnus Hedman!
Remember that game. We were top of the league but never recovered that position following this defeat. Sure it was a Dennis Wise free kick that Hedman baulked at really diving for presumably scared he'd collide with the post. That's what it looked like anyway.

Grendel

If he was half as good as he thought he was he’d have been a good goalkeeper

Ring Of Steel

He was great In the Prem. he should have displaced Oggy as first choice ‘keeper about 6 months before he did. He picked up more than a few injuries in the relegation season and Kirkland emerged as a possible successor. Yet after relegation it was Kirkland who the club cashed in on.

In the 2001-2 season in the old Division One, Herman was I’m afraid a liability. He worked out (as did a few others) that his World Cup place in the Summer was not under threat as long as he kept himself injury-free and he simply stopped coming for crosses or entering any mildly hazardous scenario.

Of course he went to Japan/Korea in the World Cup and moved on out of the club straight afterwards. We continued to languish in the second tier (which was, it should be pointed out, an underachievement).

so in summary. Good start. Terrible finish.

This is spot on. Clearly international class in the Prem, but disinterest and distraction caused a massive decline thereafter, and that’s what people tend to remember. He was a better shot stopper than Ogrizovic, had better reflexes, better kicker & distribution, Ogrizovic was much better at crosses & high balls. In our ‘all time’ team there’s only ever going to be one first choice keeper, but take out the loyalty aspect and an in form Hedman was probably as good.. and I hate saying that out of loyalty to the big guy :)

I thought Westwood was potentially better than all of them- give him Oggy’s height & ability on crosses and he’d be pretty special.

Terry Gibson's perm

This is spot on. Clearly international class in the Prem, but disinterest and distraction caused a massive decline thereafter, and that’s what people tend to remember. He was a better shot stopper than Ogrizovic, had better reflexes, better kicker & distribution, Ogrizovic was much better at crosses & high balls. In our ‘all time’ team there’s only ever going to be one first choice keeper, but take out the loyalty aspect and an in form Hedman was probably as good.. and I hate saying that out of loyalty to the big guy :)

I thought Westwood was potentially better than all of them- give him Oggy’s height & ability on crosses and he’d be pretty special.

My dad always says there is only one choice when it comes to our best goalkeeper and it isn’t Oggy it would be Bill Glazier

skybluepm2

I think we were 5th or something similar that season with a dozen games remaining? We then lost 8 of the next 10. I do wonder how different it could have been if we went up first time of asking - if you don’t get up the first season you come down you can stay there for a very long time, Leeds, Forest, Sheffield Wednesday. All took trips to the third tier

we really blew it didn’t we? I recall Nilsson’s run when he took over galvanized us and we had some memorable wins, none more so than the 4-3 against Man City which was one of my favorite ever games. Our downfall coincides with Jim Smith coming in and bringing with him the Derby rejects such as Carbonari. McGinnity didn’t really have a clue what he was doing and should’ve given Roland another season. I can’t think who we brought in directly afterwards...McAllister maybe?

Ring Of Steel

we really blew it didn’t we? I recall Nilsson’s run when he took over galvanized us and we had some memorable wins, none more so than the 4-3 against Man City which was one of my favorite ever games. Our downfall coincides with Jim Smith coming in and bringing with him the Derby rejects such as Carbonari. McGinnity didn’t really have a clue what he was doing and should’ve given Roland another season. I can’t think who we brought in directly afterwards...McAllister maybe?

yes that’s right, via one game at Burnley with Oggy as caretaker

Seamus1

It was Nilsson, Oggy, McAllister, Eric Black then Peter Reid
Yes, sorry, I stand corrected. I was getting Nilsson and Eric Black mixed up.

I thought McGinnity came in and immediately brought in Reid

I think Richardson was still at the helm, responsible for bringing in Jim Smith

M&B Stand

I never rated him very highly. Oggy was never afraid to put his head in when boots were flying. Can't say the same for Magnus.

I think it was Leeds at home when he absolutely bottled a 50/50 that was more 70:30 in his favour, cost us a goal and the game. A bloke near me in the west End called him a fairy.

Users who are viewing this thread