Maddison (3 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

offer of 20m+ from Southampton accepted according to the sun

Can't imagine he would want to go there - as I suspect they may struggle next season? Leicester would seem to have a stronger all round team, if that were still an option (much as I would dislike him playing for them), as do Everton.

better days

I suspect whoever offers the deal with the biggest element up front will be most attractive to Norwich
They based their budget on getting promotion last year so they may well be desperate for cash
Mind you Madders can always hold out for what's best for him

Grendel

Robins will be delighted to be given £3m to spend!!!

I never understand how these deals work. If it’s £20 million it will be paid over the period of his contract so I assume every year Norwich are paid we get a proportion of that. Also they’ll still be paying the initial fee - is that cancelled.

shy_tall_knight

some footballers give something back by supporting academies etc but our Madders has gone one better

273px-James_Madison_University_seal.svg.png

ccfcway

lets say when we sold him to Norwich, there was a clause that "£500k if he appears for the senior England team".

Southampton buy him from Norwich, who now pays that if he does appear for England or does it become void once Norwich sell him ?

Surely Southampton wouldn't be liable for it ?

chiefdave

lets say when we sold him to Norwich, there was a clause that "£500k if he appears for the senior England team".

Southampton buy him from Norwich, who now pays that if he does appear for England or does it become void once Norwich sell him ?

Would depend on the contract when Norwich sell him wouldn't it? Unless the contract says it is only to be paid if he pays for England while a Norwich player than they owe the money if he plays at any time.

It would be down to them to put a similar clause in any contract when they sell him. Don't see how you could enforce it otherwise.

Say he let his contract run out and then signs for a PL team and plays for England, how can the PL team he is paying for be liable for a cost they never agreed to pay?

better days

Such clauses are added to the deal when Norwich sell him
So in the case above if he's sold to Southampton and plays for England during his time with them Saints have to pay either Norwich who would pay us or pay us directly depending on how the contract was worded

ccfcway

that makes sense, as it would be nuts for us (or any other club) to add a clause in like "when he plays for England" based on his Norwich days, or clubs of that size, as its likely it wont happen until he moves to the prem.

better days

Would depend on the contract when Norwich sell him wouldn't it? Unless the contract says it is only to be paid if he pays for England while a Norwich player than they owe the money if he plays at any time.

It would be down to them to put a similar clause in any contract when they sell him. Don't see how you could enforce it otherwise.

Say he let his contract run out and then signs for a PL team and plays for England, how can the PL team he is paying for be liable for a cost they never agreed to pay?
The contract when he was sold by us would dictate things
Say it was 4 years and Madders refused any transfer away from Norwich everything would be null and void at the end of 4 years

shmmeee

I’ll be honest. I don’t think we need the full £3m (if that’s what it is) up front. We could do with a bit to add one or two quality players but otherwise we’re recruiting well (unless we are already spending the Madders money in expectation which would be worrying).

I think I’d rather us have guaranteed income over the next few years meaning we can plan properly.

rob9872

Most clubs borrow against future guaranteed earnings (a bit like a company factoring). Once the contracts agreed similarly to ticket sales on finance, TV money etc so it won' matter how we are paid if that's the model.

Terry_dactyl

I’ll be honest. I don’t think we need the full £3m (if that’s what it is) up front. We could do with a bit to add one or two quality players but otherwise we’re recruiting well (unless we are already spending the Madders money in expectation which would be worrying).

I think I’d rather us have guaranteed income over the next few years meaning we can plan properly.

I want it all now so that we can use it to re-sign Kevin Kyle, David Bell, and Freddie Eastwood...and of course retain the services of Julian Gray.

tisza

think Saints is a decent move for him. basically a decent club which tends to play its young players.
add-ons etc. normally tend to be related to the first deal (ie. with Norwich) rather than rolling forward to the next buying club unless specifically stated.
sell on %s relate to total value of fee registered with FA not how it is received.
can't remember which player it was we took a lump sum on (cashflow reasons) which backfired when he was sold on for big money.
Wilson's poor season has cost the club a few quid as he was subject to a several 25m+ bids last summer (West Ham, Spurs & another club possibly Everton)

JulianDarbyFTW

think Saints is a decent move for him. basically a decent club which tends to play its young players.
add-ons etc. normally tend to be related to the first deal (ie. with Norwich) rather than rolling forward to the next buying club unless specifically stated.
sell on %s relate to total value of fee registered with FA not how it is received.
can't remember which player it was we took a lump sum on (cashflow reasons) which backfired when he was sold on for big money.
Wilson's poor season has cost the club a few quid as he was subject to a several 25m+ bids last summer (West Ham, Spurs & another club possibly Everton)

Tbf, Wilson was Bournemouth's joint top last season, despite coming back from a terrible injury.

Terry Gibson's perm

Mark Hughes is not a very good manager lots of his ex players criticise him he would be better off elsewhere, I think wolves would be a good move

fernandopartridge

Can't imagine he would want to go there - as I suspect they may struggle next season? Leicester would seem to have a stronger all round team, if that were still an option (much as I would dislike him playing for them), as do Everton.
I don't know about that, Southampton under achieved last year. Leicester finished the season poorly, not much between them.

bawtryneal

I never understand how these deals work. If it’s £20 million it will be paid over the period of his contract so I assume every year Norwich are paid we get a proportion of that. Also they’ll still be paying the initial fee - is that cancelled.

In the vast majority of transfers at least 60% is paid up front ( sometimes 70%) and then as you rightly say the rest is paid over the duration of the players contract. That is how the “base value” is paid and then add ons every year based on performance targets or appearances etc.
My understanding is that typically ( don’t know specifically about CCFC) that sell on percentages to former clubs are paid in full out of the “base value” agree between the two clubs.
So, typically if Maddison to Southampton has a base value of £20 million we should get £3 million now. However deals are structured to suit the selling club and Norwich might accept lower base value to reduce city’s share and higher add ons.
But Norwich need money now, so who knows ??

wingy

Well I may be biased ,but I can't believe one of the elite 6as they're called aren't in for him @£25-£30M.

Grendel

Well I may be biased ,but I can't believe one of the elite 6as they're called aren't in for him @£25-£30M.

He wouldn’t even get on the bench

wingy

One of the problems in his decision making is the volativity of manager turnover at the suggested Clubs.
He could be out with the bathwater in no time .

Sky Blue Harry H

One of the problems in his decision making is the volativity of manager turnover at the suggested Clubs.
He could be out with the bathwater in no time .

Good point Wingy - especially as the vast majority come from abroad and are unlikely to know much about the likes of Maddison.

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeah but all things, even those that were previously true, become lies when reported in The Sun.

Hadji's_Goatee

Did anyone hear the sell on % was more than the usual 10-15. In fact it was more like 25%, hence the initial paltry fee and the fact that it was hailed as a fantastic longer term deal for the club.

Anywho Robins will be lucky if he sees 20% of the 20%

Terry_dactyl

Did anyone hear the sell on % was more than the usual 10-15. In fact it was more like 25%, hence the initial paltry fee and the fact that it was hailed as a fantastic longer term deal for the club.

Anywho Robins will be lucky if he sees 20% of the 20%

I dunno. You might be right but I’m feeling quite positive that he’ll get a decent wedge.

Users who are viewing this thread