Madders in the spotlight (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Dropped for a Cov-id breach for the game at West Ham (along with Perez and Choudhury) Then upset a lot of Leicester fans by posting a picture of himself (I think) on a local golf course. Got the impression it was during the match (reading their forum) but it has sparked a 'get rid of him' from some of their fans. Won't have helped him get in the Euro squad either.

Frostie

Dropped for a Cov-id breach for the game at West Ham (along with Perez and Choudhury) Then upset a lot of Leicester fans by posting a picture of himself (I think) on a local golf course. Got the impression it was during the match (reading their forum) but it has sparked a 'get rid of him' from some of their fans. Won't have helped him get in the Euro squad either.

Don't think he'd have made the Euro's anyway, too many players in his position fit & in form but this is definitely the final nail.
Silly, silly boy.

Sky Blue Harry H

They're a pretty ordinary side without Maddison and Barnes imho

Most sides would miss their creative spark. Was thinking earlier; have England ever had such a creative midfield talent at their disposal?

Mount, Bellingham, Grealish, Foden, Lingaard, Maddison, Ward-Prowse. Feels like I've missed out someone obvious, too. For me they have to play Declan Rice - who has really impressed me this season, plus sprinkle the rest of the midfield with Foden plus ???? can't see Southgate dropping Mount and will now be surprised if Maddison gets a place in the squad. Needs a hat-trick in the FA Cup semi final!!

Terry Gibson's perm

Most sides would miss their creative spark. Was thinking earlier; have England ever had such a creative midfield talent at their disposal?

Mount, Bellingham, Grealish, Foden, Lingaard, Maddison, Ward-Prowse. Feels like I've missed out someone obvious, too. For me they have to play Declan Rice - who has really impressed me this season, plus sprinkle the rest of the midfield with Foden plus ???? can't see Southgate dropping Mount and will now be surprised if Maddison gets a place in the squad. Needs a hat-trick in the FA Cup semi final!!

all this and a manager who would load the side with defensive players, there is more chance he will take a part fit Henderson than a fully fit Maddison

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I consider Ward-Prowse a bit more deep lying. He gets a lot of goals from set pieces. No idea how Phillips gets in the team ahead of him.

Sterling is one you've missed! Though you could also add Sancho. Maybe Saka as well, and I'm not sure what i'd classify barnes as. Rashford is considered a striker but tends to fill one of these sort of roles now.Then you've got emerging ones like Hudson-Odoi and Smith-Rowe but they won't make this year. Then you consider the likes of Barkley and Alli who were first choice not long ago aren't anywhere near any more.

It'll be a travesty if Southgate loads up on defensive players given that talent. I'd even lose one striker. Kane is likely to play on his own if fit so a replacement from him (Calvert-Lewin?) and someone a bit different like Vardy at most. If not with those talents we could try a false 9.

Frostie

I consider Ward-Prowse a bit more deep lying. He gets a lot of goals from set pieces. No idea how Phillips gets in the team ahead of him.

Sterling is one you've missed! Though you could also add Sancho. Maybe Saka as well, and I'm not sure what i'd classify barnes as. Rashford is considered a striker but tends to fill one of these sort of roles now.Then you've got emerging ones like Hudson-Odoi and Smith-Rowe but they won't make this year. Then you consider the likes of Barkley and Alli who were first choice not long ago aren't anywhere near any more.

It'll be a travesty if Southgate loads up on defensive players given that talent. I'd even lose one striker. Kane is likely to play on his own if fit so a replacement from him (Calvert-Lewin?) and someone a bit different like Vardy at most. If not with those talents we could try a false 9.

The problem we have is we're overloaded with talent in similar positions or roles.
Couple that with Kane who excels at dropping deep & creating too & you've got a lot of players who want to operate in similar spaces.
This is why, although he 100% deserves to be in our XI, I wouldn't be surprised to see Grealish only as a sub. If Kane is to operate in the way he does for Spurs you'll need runners in the support areas so could see Rashford ahead of him for example.
Not a huge Southgate fan but can understand 2 x DMs to try & protect the weak defence behind them too.

Some excellent individuals but not a well balanced team imo.

chiefdave

Although to be honest even if he was does it really matter? If he's been told he's not required to attend then he's free to do what he wants.

If Southgate is going to rule out any players who have done anything wrong recently there's a few more players with no chance of getting on the plane isn't there. Grealish, Greenwood, Abraham, Chilwell, Maguire, Sancho, Walker and Foden for starters. Wasn't Sterling at the birthday party for Bolt just before he had covid?

Of course not all of them would be selected anyway, in fact its likely Maddison wouldn't have been given the amount of time he's missed recently and Southgate hardly ever playing him when he is fit.

Users who are viewing this thread