Lucky Escapes ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Have you ever looked back at an incident and thought how lucky you were to get out of it with your life ? I've had numerous incidents, like when I worked on the railway many years ago and got my work trouser bottoms caught on the track we were laying just as a train was coming our way. Two of my workmates managed to grab me and physically pulled me back as the train whistled past just missing me by inches.Another time I fell off a ladder cleaning windows but landed on a pile of snow instead of the concrete underneath,just leaving me with bruises instead of broken bones.I know of people who were not so lucky,anymore stories of getting away with it ?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Ha Ha...fucking hell, this is going to be a great thread mate...

...I've had numerous incidents, crashes, falls etc. where I should be dead..

Unfortunately, I'm a bit too busy to list them all now, but one that just popped in my head was when I hitched a lift in the west country in what turned out to be a stolen volvo driven by 2 lads who were drinking script methadone out of a bottle.....interesting journey....

Otis

Think the two worst ones are:

I was on a fell in the Lake District and was walking round a curve and for some reason stopped, Don't know why. 2 more steps and it was a sheer drop down to the bottom. Would have been certain death.

Second one was in St. Petersburg on the underground metro system. I had no idea, but their doors through onto the trains are not like ours with sensors, that will retract when an obstacle is in the way, they just shut and do so very fast and with great force.

Was within millimetres of probably having my arm ripped off.

I also walked through a riot once by mistake.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Ha Ha...fucking hell, this is going to be a great thread mate...

...I've had numerous incidents, crashes, falls etc. where I should be dead..

Unfortunately, I'm a bit too busy to list them all now, but one that just popped in my head was when I hitched a lift in the west country in what turned out to be a stolen volvo driven by 2 lads who were drinking script methadone out of a bottle.....interesting journey....
I was inspired to do the thread as my son who's a roofer said he nearly fell through a roof the other day but managed to get off just in time.
Another one of my lucky escapes was at an away match at Stoke years ago when we got ambushed on the way back to the station,and they were lobbing bricks and bottles at us.I thought fuck this I'm legging it as we were outnumbered,and as me and my mate got to the station entrance I turned back just as a house brick missed my head by a couple of inches and smashed through the glass door.
When in the safety of the train I gave them the wanker hand gesture,but deep down I knew I was lucky to be going home in one piece. Phew !

LastGarrison

Back in my younger days 6 of us got nicked for violent disorder.

4 gave a statement and 2 went no comment. 4 went to court and subsequently jail and the other 2 got bail cancellation.

Fortunately I was one of the 2 who went no comment.

bringbackrattles

Back in my younger days 6 of us got nicked for violent disorder.

4 gave a statement and 2 went no comment. 4 went to court and subsequently jail and the other 2 got bail cancellation.

Fortunately I was one of the 2 who went no comment.
Must have been the riot Otis stumbled upon !

Skinnythebear

Coming back from Brum on a late train one night many moons ago.
We started getting silly and throwing each others shoes out the window.
My mate threw my brand new Adidas kick trainers out so I opened the door to look and got sucked out.
Luckily my brother who was more sober than the rest of us caught me by the fishtail of my parka coat and hauled me back in.
Train doing approx. 80/90 mph, certain death me thinks:p

Monners

Me and a colleague got robbed - a sawn off shot gun pointing at you makes you realise how precious life is (we gave them the money by the way)

Head on car road accident (with the same work colleague - we don't work together anymore)

Walking with my baby daughter back in 2000 when an out of control car skidded a few yards in front of us 2 or 3 seconds later it would have wiped us out

Running in front of a car when I was 5 - he stopped - just. If he was speeding then that would have been it I suspect

I think I may go back bed for the rest of the day!

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

Coming back from Brum on a late train one night many moons ago.
We started getting silly and throwing each others shoes out the window.
My mate threw my brand new Adidas kick trainers out so I opened the door to look and got sucked out.
Luckily my brother who was more sober than the rest of us caught me by the fishtail of my parka coat and hauled me back in.
Train doing approx. 80/90 mph, certain death me thinks:p
You were probably on that train that nearly cut me in half !

eastwoodsdustman

Mid 90's and I was walking through town at about 1 in the morning having had a skinfull. 3 lads were racially abusing an asian lad and I took exception to it. I offered them all out for on the basis that they'd think I was pretty handy by offering to take all 3 on( I am not by the way). Anyhow they left the asian lad alone and I walked down to broadgate still giving it large. Got the the KFC and I was still chirping away when one of them accepts my offer to sort it in the alleyway at the side of KFC. Thankfully his mates drag him into a taxi. I woke up in the morning to find that a bouncer had been stabbed to death in the alley about quarter of an hour after I was there. Really could have been me.

bringbackrattles

Here's two more of my nine lives. Fell in the canal pissed up one hot summers day in the 90's, and went under a couple of times but it must have sobered me up as I somehow got out,but had to walk miles back home covered head to foot in black gunge and got some strange looks.And once when working on a building site I had the job of using the cement mixer but got my jacket caught in the handle,and it was twisting and ripping at my arm as it was going round,but somehow in sheer panic managed to free it,but needed hospital treatment for torn ligaments etc,and they said I was lucky it never ripped my arm off.

Last edited:

Monners

Here's two more of my nine lives. Fell in the canal pissed up one hot summers day in the 90's, and went under a couple of times but it must have sobered me up as I somehow got out,but had to walk miles back home covered head to foot in black gunge and got some strange looks.And once when working on a building site I had the job of using the cement mixer but got my jacket caught in the handle,and it was twisting and ripping at my arm as it was going round,but somehow in sheer panic managed to free my it,but needed hospital treatment for torn ligaments etc,and they said I was lucky it never ripped my arm off.

I would have given my right arm to see you fall in that canal! (Soz mate - couldn't help myself)

bringbackrattles

I would have given my right arm to see you fall in that canal! (Soz mate - couldn't help myself)
I walked past a couple of anglers further along just after dragging myself out of the cut and they had a look of disbelief at seeing this bloke covered in gunge and slime. I told them what happened and one of them said did you catch anything whilst you were down there,cheeky bastard !

B-Ban-Boogie

Years ago.. when the snow came round in January\February we used to run behind cars and grab their bumpers ('Granny it') and let them pull us all around the streets in Radford.
This one day i decide it's a good idea to run behind a bus that's just about to go up Lydgate Rd\Hill.. so i sneak to the back of it, grab on the bumper and the bus heads up the hill, slows and starts sliding backwards...
I slide under the back of the bus (still hanging onto the bumper) and it somehow comes to a stop so i clamber out from underneath it and run off.
Only later did i realise what a twat i'd been and how lucky i was.. lol

Users who are viewing this thread