Loan players (1 Viewer)

keano_no1

With Gyokores signing, I believe he is our 6th loan signing and I think you can only have 5 in the match day squad, so who's going to miss out?

Alkhen

Giles! Weren't good enough for us in League 1, never mind this division. McCallum miles better player

Well harsh, Giles has been decent especially going forward. Definitely contributed more than a few points with his early season assists. Do agree he'll be the one dropped though. Think we will miss him off the bench mind, not all that many options to change things

Hertsccfc

There much i like about Giles but I don't agree that he's our most effective attacking player. A few good runs and crosses early on true, such as against QPR and Norwich, but since then he has been reluctant to go forward. Also his shooting is poor. There were a number of occasions when he should have scored but he missed or shot really tamely.

Dabo is much more effective going forward from wing back, and arguably McCallum too. And obviously Hamer and O'Hare are better going forward.

shmmeee

There much i like about Giles but I don't agree that he's our most effective attacking player. A few good runs and crosses early on true, such as against QPR and Norwich, but since then he has been reluctant to go forward. Also his shooting is poor. There were a number of occasions when he should have scored but he missed or shot really tamely.

Dabo is much more effective going forward from wing back, and arguably McCallum too. And obviously Hamer and O'Hare are better going forward.

The stats say very differently.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Most likely one of Giles or Sam, most of the time Giles. may also see Sheaf miss out occassionally when kelly is back as I'd like to see Kelly and james together and Sheaf's game isn't suited to playing more advanced IMO. Hamer's i think is.

Hertsccfc

Most likely one of Giles or Sam, most of the time Giles. may also see Sheaf miss out occassionally when kelly is back as I'd like to see Kelly and james together and Sheaf's game isn't suited to playing more advanced IMO. Hamer's i think is.
I feel Sheaf is becoming increasingly important and improving too and doubt he will be left out often. I really like Kelly but suspect it is either him or James.

stay_up_skyblues

I wouldn’t send Giles back. He’ll start in the odd game where we go primarily attacking, as has been the case all season. He’s superior to Mason going forwards.

Hertsccfc

I would let Giles go back to Wolves and recall Mason. Then getting another attacking player on a free transfer if possible.
Tend to agree. Think the step up has come a season too early for Giles. If he stays i would love to be proved wrong. Potentially he is a really good player.

Samo

I wouldn’t send Giles back. He’ll start in the odd game where we go primarily attacking, as has been the case all season. He’s superior to Mason going forwards.

So which loan would you leave out of the match-day squad? Something has to give.

stay_up_skyblues

So which loan would you leave out of the match-day squad? Something has to give.

Either Sam or Giles depending on whether we are going attacking from the off or not.

In practice, one of the loans will probably be injured/fatigued or rotated half the time.

Samo

There is another way... turn Sheaf into a permanent signing in this window. One less loan.

stupot07

It will probably be Sheaf. Even if you leave one of Giles or McCallum out, they get injured 5 minutes in, who's going left wingback?

Leave sheaf out you've got hamer and James definitely starting, o'hare, shippley, Allen, eccles and bapaga all competing to start or get on the bench.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There is another way... turn Sheaf into a permanent signing in this window. One less loan.

Did consider that but I assume that would use up the rest of the budget and thus mean bringing in another loan would be unaffordable unless we didn't pay their wages. unlikely to happen.

Unless we can make an agreement to make a small down payment now with the rest next season or spread out. But also have to consider would we then be paying more to the player as a permanent signing than a loanee?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I feel Sheaf is becoming increasingly important and improving too and doubt he will be left out often. I really like Kelly but suspect it is either him or James.

Kelly has proven instrumental in terms of results and leadership, and james also has much more experience. You'd want both playing IMO. Sheaf has a mistake in him at times, taking too much time on the ball which he will iron out over time.

Either may need a rest at some point and Sheaf will step in and it makes more sense to leave out one of the two LWB's as neither are likely to play at the same time. It'd just remove the option of being able to replace them if they were playing poorly. Which I guess we could call mason back for that possibility but he's an out and out LB so not entirely suitable.

stupot07

Depends what stats you use.

How about goals for example:

Hamer 4
O'Hare 2
McCallum 1
Giles 0

Dabo wasn't fit early on so that affects his stats.
Chance creation/attacking Stats per 90 mins comparison.
7f7bc1c61225589c6502025b09333120.jpg

stupot07

So equal games. Both 1 assist. McCallum one goal, Giles none.

And McCallum is much better defensively.
But Giles creates more chances, puts in more crosses, and more or the ball in the opposition half. Not his fault if strikers/o'hare miss them.

No one has disputed thay McCallum is better defensively, just that we shouldn't just discard Giles as he is one of most effective attacking outlets.

Last edited:

hill83

But Giles creates more chances, puts in more crosses, and more or the ball in the opposition half. Not his fault if strikers/o'hare miss them.

No one has disputed thay McCallum is better defensively, just that we shouldn't just discard Giles as he is one of most effective attacking outlets.

I mean it could be if it’s wild crosses into nobody. Stats are good but they can be tweaked to offer any argument.

Is there a was about to whip it in but noticed Godden was isolated up against two 6 foot defenders so decided to keep the ball instead stat?

Last edited:

better days

With Wolves just giving Giles a 5 year deal can't see them allowing him to stay here if he's not starting the majority of games
They're likely to recall him and loan him to another Championship side where he's got more chance of game time

mds

Let Giles go back and bring Mason back would be my approach, not convinced Mason is up to it going forward but could do a job as back up to McCallum.

Kelly has proven instrumental in terms of results and leadership.
I think that is coincedental, Kelly came back at around the same time we changed our style of play and the quality of opponents changed dramatically for us. We started the season way too naively trying to play the football we did in league 1 in a league where the quality of opponent is so much better.
If we had started the season more defensively in the style we changed to after 10 or 11 games things would have gone much differently and Kellys reintroduction would of had less of the perceived impact. Not to say we didnt miss him but the way we changed things as he came back made him look much more neccesary than he probably was.

Frostie

With Wolves just giving Giles a 5 year deal can't see them allowing him to stay here if he's not starting the majority of games
They're likely to recall him and loan him to another Championship side where he's got more chance of game time

Which other Championship team could guarantee him regular starts though?

Users who are viewing this thread