Liverpool (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

it comes to something whe the Swansea manager turns down the chance to go to Liverpool

Have they really fallen that much, surely they are still a big club ?

BurbageSkyBlues

think they have shown a degree of arrogance when they sacked Roy Hodgson, universally recognised as a very good manager.

They have lost the stranglehold they once had, on English football, and are now just also-rans (by comparison to their previous achievements). They cannot command respect anymore - they need to re-earn it, there are better clubs to work for, it would appear!

Yorkshire SB

Liverpool still a huge club whatever you say, and if Rogers knew he was guaranteed the job he'd definitely take it. The reason he hasn't is because there is so much competition for the job, with up to a dozen managers being interviewed..according to various different sources. Therefore I think it's a pragmatic decision, keeps the fans and players on side; plus he's still a young manager and the opportunity will arise again if he continues the success with Swansea.

CovfanDan

Liverpool still a huge club whatever you say, and if Rogers knew he was guaranteed the job he'd definitely take it. The reason he hasn't is because there is so much competition for the job, with up to a dozen managers being interviewed..according to various different sources. Therefore I think it's a pragmatic decision, keeps the fans and players on side; plus he's still a young manager and the opportunity will arise again if he continues the success with Swansea.

Yeah, think your right, lets say Rodgers took the job and it didnt work out in say 6 months time, he gets the boot and all the good work he done at Swansea was for chuff all, he's back to square one looking for a job. He's doing nicely at Swansea, working for what seems a decent board (was it Fergie who advised young managers, including his lad, to choose the chairman rather than the club?).

If he continues to do well, like you say, an opportunity will come about again, like Villa did and Liverpool now have for Martinez.

Pains me to say it because theres a few Swansea fans knocking about down this way, but they are a good example of how getting it right at board level and choosing the right manager can work wonders. It werent that long ago they were beating Hull to stay in the football league

Sky Blue Sheepy

so you agree that Liverpool wouldnt be a step up from Swansea ?

interesting
I see your point. What I mean is Rodgers has built something to be proud of at Swansea - whilst Liverpool seem in decline, they're on the up and probably feels a sense of loyalty and wanting to see his project continue. Could backfire. We won't know til next season

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Rodgers seems to have his head screwed on and ad isn't going to be enticed by a big club if it's not worth his while! Liverpool fans seem to think they are better than they are. And this puts added pressure in the manager.

Would you leave a job where you performing well, have the board and supporters support, for a job where after a few bad performances you know your going to be scrutinised and expectations be raised?

I think Swansea is a more attractive option for him tbh.

Martinez on the other hand is overrated, and if he went to Liverpool, I can see them retuning to just an average Prem side, competing for nothing! Apart from save them from relegation, what else has he done?

Strachan kept us in the Premiership once; didn't make him a good manager did it?

Tad

Rodgers seems to have his head screwed on and ad isn't going to be enticed by a big club if it's not worth his while! Liverpool fans seem to think they are better than they are. And this puts added pressure in the manager.

Would you leave a job where you performing well, have the board and supporters support, for a job where after a few bad performances you know your going to be scrutinised and expectations be raised?

I think Swansea is a more attractive option for him tbh.

Martinez on the other hand is overrated, and if he went to Liverpool, I can see them retuning to just an average Prem side, competing for nothing! Apart from save them from relegation, what else has he done?

Strachan kept us in the Premiership once; didn't make him a good manager did it?

+1

Same with the Norwich manager. Why leave for a short term job at a "bigger" club. Personally, it would make more sense to stay and build on what they already have.

theprince

I think there is a bigger prize ahead for Brendon Rodgers that being Manchester United, Fergie must have little more than 2 seasons left. Swansea play the United way and with another 12 months experience Rodgers could fit their bill. As for Liverpool they have slipped out of the top 6 and returning is difficult. Manchester City and Chelsea have pushed things to another level financially, although a great record of success anyone aged 30 or younger don't remember them at the top.

ccfcway

I think there is a bigger prize ahead for Brendon Rodgers that being Manchester United, Fergie must have little more than 2 seasons left. Swansea play the United way and with another 12 months experience Rodgers could fit their bill. As for Liverpool they have slipped out of the top 6 and returning is difficult. Manchester City and Chelsea have pushed things to another level financially, although a great record of success anyone aged 30 or younger don't remember them at the top.

Ha !!

funny isnt it, it wasnt long ago that Roy Keane was in line for that job.

I's be surprised if Rodgers is still at this level in 2 years

Yorkshire SB

There is absolutely no way Rodgers is being lined up for the man united job, furthermore what has led you to that conclusion? Rodgers has done a good job, but Lambert at Norwich has definitely done a better job! Additionally Rodgers inherited a great side at Swansea, where managers such as Martinez and Sousa created a side synonymous for their great football. I don't mean to take anything away from Rodgers, he has done well, but to suggest he is being lined up for the United job is laughable (especially when you consider managers such as Mourinho, Moyes, Guardiola would jump at the chance). As for Liverpool they're out the top 6 but could quite easily get back into it next season, they're still a huge club and, though I'd be surprised, could realistically compete for top four next season.

Users who are viewing this thread