Liam neeson (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Brutally honest in that he admits how he felt and also how wrong it was or stupid for saying it out loud?

Could potentially end his career.

Haven't heard the full interview yet to make a proper judgement of the context.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He found out a relative had been raped and completely lost his shit. On reflection he realised his thoughts were irrational and he came to his senses.

Doesn't make it right, but equally the witch hunt going on is a bit over the top in my opinion.

Otis

Yeah. It's a tough one. Not excusing it, but it was 40 years ago.

I admire his honesty in speaking out about it now.

The bit I don't get is that apparently when asking the victim about the attack he asked 'what colour were they?'

Don't get that at all. I would simply be asking what did they look like.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah. It's a tough one. Not excusing it, but it was 40 years ago.

I admire his honesty in speaking out about it now.

The bit I don't get is that apparently when asking the victim about the attack he asked 'what colour were they?'

Don't get that at all. I would simply be asking what did they look like.
The bit I read was saying he was asking questions about the attacker rather then just asking that as the first question.

Surely the fact he realised it was wrong and went and got help is a good example to set? Obviously not the going out looking to kill based on the colour of skin but what happened next in going to the priest etc.

Otis

The bit I read was saying he was asking questions about the attacker rather then just asking that as the first question.

Surely the fact he realised it was wrong and went and got help is a good example to set? Obviously not the going out looking to kill based on the colour of skin but what happened next in going to the priest etc.
Can't get my head around it on a personal level and I simply couldn't go out looking for any 'group' of people looking for revenge, be it black, Asian, Gypsy, homeless, chav, gay, whatever.

I'm glad he's now supposedly a different person if true.

Otis

Can't get my head around it on a personal level and I simply couldn't go out looking for any 'group' of people looking for revenge, be it black, Asian, Gypsy, homeless, chav, gay, whatever.

I'm glad he's now supposedly a different person if true.

Woah!!! Hang on though. Just found out he went out looking for revenge against any innocent black man for a WEEK! I do have a big problem with that.

Heat of the moment, yeah, maybe, but for a whole week?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No idea why he brought it up at all. Does seem like quite an extreme reaction, especially for the length of time, to just go out looking for revenge on anyone and that shouldn't be tolerated. Anger I can understand. Revenge against the perpetrator I can understand. Revenge against anyone at all I can't.

I don't know if it's racist, but it does come across like it if he was just looking for any black guy - the only denominator he used was skin colour. Not height, weight, hair colour etc, just skin colour. Only way you could even consider working it out it to ask him "had it been a white guy, would you have just set out to get revenge on any white guy?" No-one but Neeson knows the answer to that but my instinct tells me he wouldn't have just set on the first white guy he saw.

Otis

A 'Before black people go out at night they make sure Liam Neeson is out of the country' might be more appropriate.

chiefdave

I can't really get my head around someone wanting to attack a random black person for what another black person did. Going after the particular person who did it I'm sure we can all understand whether we would do the same or not but some random person going about their own business, makes no sense to me.

And why the hell would you tell everyone in an interview? What did he think the outcome of that would be?

bringbackrattles

Don't know if anybody knows this and a bit irrelevant, but Neeson is an ex Irish boxing champion, and by all accounts pretty handy. So back then he was an aggressive bloke.

Last edited:

Grendel

I think he’s been in Hollywood too long and has morphed into one of his characters

Otis

Listened to it now though, Nick and the conversation went like this.

'She told me she had been raped. I said do you know who it was? She said no. I said what colour were they?'

Very odd sequence of questioning.

I certainly would not be asking what colour the perpetrator was.

Nick

Administrator
Listened to it now though, Nick and the conversation went like this.

'She told me she had been raped. I said do you know who it was? She said no. I said what colour were they?'

Very odd sequence of questioning.

I certainly would not be asking what colour the perpetrator was.
Bit weird!

Why did he even mention it? What was the interview?

skybluetony176

I agree with him. John Barnes is brilliant.

Eunice Olumide was saying pretty much the same thing as Barns in support of Liam Neeson last night on question time. I’ve not seen the interview in whole myself but prominent and vocal people of colour who have been on the receiving end of racism who have only seem to be supportive of Liam Neeson.
Yes it’s a very sensitive subject and rightly so but it is starting to sound like people have heard a snapshot of what he said without absolutely no context to that snapshot and lost their shit over it. The small part I have seen from his interview some of the people who are going crazy about it aren’t even quoting exactly what he said, they’re eliminating words from what they’ve reported he said and fuelled a fire with misrepresentation.
Having said that not being black myself I don’t see that I have the right to say whether black people should or shouldn’t be offended but the prominent black people who have come out in his defence have articulated why they’re defending him very well.

covcity4life

Idiotic thing to say but also idiotic thing to think in first place. Disappointing

the fact that the resident racist on this forum is standing up for him is no shock. But what sort of person must you be to excuse wanting to KILL a RANDOM person because he is BLACK and another BLACK person hurt someone you know

Lets say a asian did this to your mate, and one of your friends was out on prowl hoping to bump into and kill ME as i was popping to shops, would you say well my mate was really hurting at time? would you say that to my family?

but its ok he wont home after a while without bumping into anyone. leftie snowflakes over reacting

Nick

Administrator
but its ok he wont home after a while without bumping into anyone

Don't think people are giving him any credit for that bit are they? From what I can see is that people are saying he went to seek help because of it and knows how wrong it was when he looks back at it.

Otis

Eunice Olumide was saying pretty much the same thing as Barns in support of Liam Neeson last night on question time. I’ve not seen the interview in whole myself but prominent and vocal people of colour who have been on the receiving end of racism who have only seem to be supportive of Liam Neeson.
Yes it’s a very sensitive subject and rightly so but it is starting to sound like people have heard a snapshot of what he said without absolutely no context to that snapshot and lost their shit over it. The small part I have seen from his interview some of the people who are going crazy about it aren’t even quoting exactly what he said, they’re eliminating words from what they’ve reported he said and fuelled a fire with misrepresentation.
Having said that not being black myself I don’t see that I have the right to say whether black people should or shouldn’t be offended but the prominent black people who have come out in his defence have articulated why they’re defending him very well.

'What colour was he?' Why would anyone say that?

If I have ever asked anyone who has been a victim of crime and has seen their assailant, I have always asked what did they look like.

What colour were they? That concerns me.

covcity4life

Don't think people are giving him any credit for that bit are they? From what I can see is that people are saying he went to seek help because of it and knows how wrong it was when he looks back at it.
I know attacking innocent people is wrong. Can i get praised please?

covcity4life

Not in the slightest, he was an absolute c**t at that time. He also realises how wrong it was looking back at it (which is the point people like John Barnes are making).
i get that but no point people wondering why hes getting flack either. he deserves no praise for realising it was wrong. its in past fine move on. he brought it up not anyone else

Users who are viewing this thread