Liam Kelly, Kyle Mcfazdean and Dom Hyam (1 Viewer)

Frostie

McFadzean is still so important to us.

Not only is he colossal in defence for the most part, he's much better on the ball than he's given credit for too. This was one of the main reasons Robins/Badlan identified him originally & he's been very good still this season too despite the step up.

Depends on recruitment of course, but all of us assuming he's just going to be backup might be surprised.

20210513_185739.jpg

Mr Panda

I am glad Kelly has signed a deal and can definitely buy into the argument of leadership, continuity etc

I'm still thinking we should be looking at better in our starting 11 though and having someone in there who is technically a lot more comfortable at this level. The hit and hope lobbed passes forward just don't do it for me. I hope Kelly signing for 2 years doesn't rule out the possibility of us signing better. (I thought at the start that Sheaf would perhaps take his role eventually)

Frostie

I am glad Kelly has signed a deal and can definitely buy into the argument of leadership, continuity etc

I'm still thinking we should be looking at better in our starting 11 though and having someone in there who is technically a lot more comfortable at this level. The hit and hope lobbed passes forward just don't do it for me. I hope Kelly signing for 2 years doesn't rule out the possibility of us signing better. (I thought at the start that Sheaf would perhaps take his role eventually)

100% agree. I love Kelly but more quality on the ball is definitely needed & of course we know he's going to miss large chunks of the season. I'd like Sheaf, think he'd be ideal, but if we go in another direction then somebody of a similar ilk.

Evo1883

Not only is he colossal in defence for the most part, he's much better on the ball than he's given credit for too. This was one of the main reasons Robins/Badlan identified him originally & he's been very good still this season too despite the step up.

Depends on recruitment of course, but all of us assuming he's just going to be backup might be surprised.

View attachment 20085
Il be honest, he's probably been my favourite player over the last couple years combined .

People underestimate his contribution last season, he led a young back line too .
And people definitely don't give him enough credit this year

Esoterica

View attachment 20085
Interesting chart as always mate. How much of that is influenced by him playing the central pivot in a 3 with WBs do you think? I seem to remember there being varying distance (30m in own half?) involved in the progressive pass definition, based on your position on the pitch when making the pass. That still true?

Wonder if McFadz bypassing Rose and Hyam and supplying the WBs counts. Whereas e.g. Rose gets the 2nd pass when building play, so his usual 5 options are:
1) Pass to RWB (not enough distance to count as a progressive pass)
2) Check back and pass to McFazean (backwards, so not a progressive pass)
3) Pass to a DM showing for the ball (not enough distance to count as a progressive pass)
4) Go long (high risk so chance of success is low)
5) Carry the ball himself (Counts as a progressive run in chart above)

Would be interesting to see those passes that count anyway, something like the 4s and 6s wagon wheel in cricket.

Hadji's_Goatee

View attachment 20085
What’s the definition of a progressive pass. Is it a hoof ball? Does it have to be successful?

South West Sky Blue

You’ve missed the point. The bulk of that squad were still under contract. In fact, I think of that list only Baka’s contract was technically up last summer but we had a year in our favour. That is why there was continuity between the two seasons - very little opportunity to manoeuvre.

This season is different. We had some reasonably high-profile deals expiring but the manager has chosen to renew most of them. Not sure I agree with the decisions but he’s better placed to judge than me.

The starting lineups year-to-year have tended to look quite significantly vary, though.
I agree. Most of the contract renewals are the right decisions (I appreciate its arrogant of me to say that). Doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be first choice. I’d hope for better than Hyam and possibly Kelly (although it feels like sacrilege to say that on this forum) in the starting XI, but they can both do a decent job as a squad player.
I just still can’t get my head around extending Wilson’s contract. He’s obviously 2nd choice, but even so.....
Bremang seems a very strange one as well.

Frostie

What’s the definition of a progressive pass. Is it a hoof ball? Does it have to be successful?

Progressive Pass:
A forward pass that attempts to advance a team significantly closer to the opponent’s goal.
(Specifics on link)

Accuracy is shown by the Colour Key. McFadz is very, very good with overwhelming majority successful.

Interesting chart as always mate. How much of that is influenced by him playing the central pivot in a 3 with WBs do you think? I seem to remember there being varying distance (30m in own half?) involved in the progressive pass definition, based on your position on the pitch when making the pass. That still true?

Wonder if McFadz bypassing Rose and Hyam and supplying the WBs counts. Whereas e.g. Rose gets the 2nd pass when building play, so his usual 5 options are:

1) Pass to RWB (not enough distance to count as a progressive pass)

2) Check back and pass to McFazean (backwards, so not a progressive pass)

3) Pass to a DM showing for the ball (not enough distance to count as a progressive pass)

4) Go long (high risk so chance of success is low)

5) Carry the ball himself (Counts as a progressive run in chart above)

Would be interesting to see those passes that count anyway, something like the 4s and 6s wagon wheel in cricket.

Yeah, I think there's a decent amount of truth in most of your assertions there.

As the middle of the 3 he's more likely to be the one firing the passes into O'Hare & the strikers for sure. That said, is he not chosen as the middle of the 3 because he's particularly good at that? Chicken & egg I guess.

Fadz actually attempts less total passes per game than our other CBs but has the highest Pass Accuracy.

Long Passes attempted is actually very even across our main CBs & he's just edged out by Rose in Accuracy (40.2% v 44.6%) but better than Hyam & Østigård.

I'll get a proper analysis up soon 👍🏻

stevefloyd

Mcfadz has most of the time been very solid, he has covered for Rose, Hyam and Ostigard, yes he has some mistakes in him even the likes of Stones, Dias and Van Dijk has made mistakes so all players are vulnerable at times but apart from him being a little slow he is prepared to stick his body on the line for us.

Gibbo

That doesn’t feel correct. Signings in first team squad from league 1 last year are

Marosi
Wilson
Dabo
Rose
Mcfadzean
McCallum
Kelly
Ohare
Godden
Max
Baka
Allen

I’m not sure I agree with you
You misread or I wasn't clear

Only Baka arrived for the first season in L 1. The others were later or earlier. Even if you modify in the detail, the picture is clear that there is collosal turnover, with virtually a new team each year. It might be a function of being promoted twice.

Players 2020-21squad when they first got into the 'first team squad' by Robins year

1 =8 Dacosta, Gyokeres, Hamer, Hilssner, James, Ostigaard, Sheaf & Walker (now 5)
2 =15 Allen, Bapaga, Dabo, Drysdale, Eccles, Godden, Jobello, Kasta, MacF, Sam Mac, Marosi, O'Hare, Pask, Rose & Wilson (now 13, maybe 10)
3 =2 Baka & Mason (now zero)
4 =4 Shipley, Kelly, Hyam & Max (now 3, maybe 2)

twistandshout

I agree. Most of the contract renewals are the right decisions (I appreciate its arrogant of me to say that). Doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be first choice. I’d hope for better than Hyam and possibly Kelly (although it feels like sacrilege to say that on this forum) in the starting XI, but they can both do a decent job as a squad player.
I just still can’t get my head around extending Wilson’s contract. He’s obviously 2nd choice, but even so.....
Bremang seems a very strange one as well.
The way I see it, both of our goalkeepers are lower championship quality. The main attribute Wilson has is that he is not disruptive when he is number 2, making him a more valuable squad player. Bremang has been training with Barnsley, renewing his contract could simply be protecting a transfer fee.(even if its just add ons its better than allowing him to move to a potential rival for free)

SlowerThanPlatt

The way I see it, both of our goalkeepers are lower championship quality. The main attribute Wilson has is that he is not disruptive when he is number 2, making him a more valuable squad player. Bremang has been training with Barnsley, renewing his contract could simply be protecting a transfer fee.(even if its just add ons its better than allowing him to move to a potential rival for free)

That’s right. Good luck to him if he gets a move there but I can’t think of any players the club have let go at that age who have proved them wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread