Les Reid podcast report part 2 (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Unbelievably Les seems to have got a second story out of this weeks Lamptey podcast and I find this one a poorer piece of journalism than the first and I didn't think much of that one!

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/sky-blues-fans-divided-over-6332419

I posted a summary of what was said on the podcast in another thread and I'll quote it here. I would urge everyone to listen to it as it paints a very different picture to the two Telegraph articles.

My overriding feeling was that the CT piece presented just about the most negative report of the podcast conversation possible.

Started off with a preamble where Joey and Andy chatted about how they felt after the chat. This was where terms like downbeat and depressing were used. At the end of the talk about the meeting this was challenged by Neil who shared my opinion that what was talked about seemed quite positive so why were they do down about it and Joey basically said he felt Joy wouldn't accept a deal and we'd end up in a new stadium. Even went as far as to say he thought she would turn down a temporary rental deal while the new ground was built. He was very clear that this was all guesswork / gut feeling.

To the talks themselves, it was stated that Reeves seemed the more downbeat but that wasn't unusual for someone a finance manager and Reeves seemed much more upbeat and optimistic. Points that came up were:

Reeves stated he just wanted to get Coventry back at the Ricoh and felt the best route was a rental deal while the sale of the freehold was discussed;

Councils (not just CCC) don't usually sell freeholds - think the word usually is key there;

Joy wants the freehold and ACL to be removed, although I think this was from prior to the recent meeting between Ann and Joy;

There was talk of SISU taking over 50% of the old loan, the first condition of that proposal was that they bought out Higgs and that never came to fruition. Was made clear there was no veto by the council, either formal or informal, as it was never put to them;

Very clear that the 150K offer was available to SISU / Otium and they were aware of it;

Developing the land is part of any deal as it was part of the original deal between the council and SISU so would roll over to any new deal.

In this second article Les again only quotes two words from the podcast "depressing" and "disheartening" which to me is very misleading and doesn't reflect the content of the podcast.

This new article then sees the reappearance of the Get Cov back to the Ricoh campaign who haven't posted on their own website since 17th October or their Facebook page since 31st October so hardly the most active campaign. It seems that, despite their name, they are against Cov returning back to the Ricoh as tenants. Doesn't really explain why they are against this unfortunately as I would have thought most fans would be over the moon if the club were to return to the Ricoh.

Have to say I find it very strange how in sync Les Reid, Nikki Sinclaire and Get Cov back to the Ricoh. Some of their tweets and comments are indistinguishable from each other and seem very similar to statements from SISU in that they all seem to be of the opinion SISU need to own the freehold yet as has been often discussed on here there is no business or financial advantage to CCFC if that happens. If you were the suspicious / conspiracy theory type you might thing Get Cov back to the Ricoh is being orchestrated by someone behind the scenes who doesn't wish it to be known they are involved.

letsallsingtogether

That is exactly why I don't subscribe to this protest.
I feel we should be back at the Ricoh regardless of who owns it. They seem to be blaming one side and one side alone.
And as stated before it is not up to the negotiators to decide whether or not they can sell, this can only be done by a full council meeting with all sides voting.also they have to go with what they believe the people of Coventry want not just the supporters.

As I feel Sisu are the main instigators of this they took us away they threw the dummy out and now feel they are the ones that are being hard done by.

So Sisu make a genuine bid or forget it, build your own Olympic standard stadium and start afresh.

Unbelievably Les seems to have got a second story out of this weeks Lamptey podcast and I find this one a poorer piece of journalism than the first and I didn't think much of that one!

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/sky-blues-fans-divided-over-6332419

I posted a summary of what was said on the podcast in another thread and I'll quote it here. I would urge everyone to listen to it as it paints a very different picture to the two Telegraph articles.

In this second article Les again only quotes two words from the podcast "depressing" and "disheartening" which to me is very misleading and doesn't reflect the content of the podcast.

This new article then sees the reappearance of the Get Cov back to the Ricoh campaign who haven't posted on their own website since 17th October or their Facebook page since 31st October so hardly the most active campaign. It seems that, despite their name, they are against Cov returning back to the Ricoh as tenants. Doesn't really explain why they are against this unfortunately as I would have thought most fans would be over the moon if the club were to return to the Ricoh.

Have to say I find it very strange how in sync Les Reid, Nikki Sinclaire and Get Cov back to the Ricoh. Some of their tweets and comments are indistinguishable from each other and seem very similar to statements from SISU in that they all seem to be of the opinion SISU need to own the freehold yet as has been often discussed on here there is no business or financial advantage to CCFC if that happens. If you were the suspicious / conspiracy theory type you might thing Get Cov back to the Ricoh is being orchestrated by someone behind the scenes who doesn't wish it to be known they are involved.

J

Jack Griffin

What a load of made up rubbish.. he has absolutely no facts, its just an opinion dressed up as being authoritative and irrationally lends weight to people who have little influence or representation.

3 paragraphs given to a statement by this Cosgrove guy who got about 25 people to join his protest outside the council house and there were only 1059 whosigned his online petition compared to over 5000 who marched from Gosford Green to Broadgate in opposition to the club leaving Coventry.

Last edited by a moderator:

hill83

What a load of made up rubbish.. he has absolutely no facts, its just an opinion dressed up as being authoritative and irrationally lends weight to people who have little influence or representation.

He could almost be 95% of people on here.

dongonzalos

Key questions to ask Les

If the Ricoh can't be sold.

Long term rent deal as previously offered

Verses

Building a new stadium from borrowed money.

Which is financially viable for CCFC over the long term and why?

Which gives SISU a better chance of getting a return on their investment and why?

CET to speak to

http://www.es-group.com/our-sectors/sport-stadia

See if they can give an expert guesstimate valuation of the Ricoh.

Promoting themselves whilst giving us all an in dependant valuation.

Grendel

Whose this we are talking about? You? Italihorse? Letsallmakeitup?

letsallsingtogether

No just youself.

By the way have never made anything up just don't agree with you.

You make comments never back them up, but expect all others too.

I don't make out I know anything just have an opinion, you on the other hand think you know it all.

Whose this we are talking about? You? Italihorse? Letsallmakeitup?

Grendel

No just youself.

By the way have never made anything up just don't agree with you.

You make comments never back them up, but expect all others too.

I don't make out I know anything just have an opinion, you on the other hand think you know it all.

Lets see who could it be? The above? No its you number one [Expletive Deleted]:)

Oh goody - Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber are on together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Oh goody - Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber are on together.

Still hiding behind your keyboard show yourself persumably when you climb out the bowl after Manfishers had a shit. Be on the hill tomorrow just ask for Pete. No doubt you like your master will be all over the papers saying Im threatening you and your family but Im not persuade me with your own sense of percieved intelligence that any a d I mean any of your views are valid and also bring your last tax return and Ill bring mine child Isa account doesnt count. Get your mum to pay your busfare and I'll pay her back

letsallsingtogether

They don't do day release.

Still hiding behind your keyboard show yourself persumably when you climb out the bowl after Manfishers had a shit. Be on the hill tomorrow just ask for Pete. No doubt you like your master will be all over the papers saying Im threatening you and your family but Im not persuade me with your own sense of percieved intelligence that any a d I mean any of your views are valid and also bring your last tax return and Ill bring mine child Isa account doesnt count. Get your mum to pay your busfare and I'll pay her back

Grendel

Oh dear

mark_ccfc

This article by Les reid has really really annoyed me. He is using the telegraph to voice his own agenda against the council. :-
"Sky Blues fans divided over Ricoh Arena owners' stadium rent offer"

My butt!

For a start he admits there has been no information from the recent meeting between Councillor Lucas and Joy Seppala. From what I have seen on forums and spoken to fellow supporters most people want Coventry back in Coventry regardless of the circumstances.

Very disappointed in you Mr Reid. Get a grip on what the fans really want instead of making it up to suit yourself.

letsallsingtogether

Must be Grenels Lover..

This article by Les reid has really really annoyed me. He is using the telegraph to voice his own agenda against the council. :-
"Sky Blues fans divided over Ricoh Arena owners' stadium rent offer"

My butt!

For a start he admits there has been no information from the recent meeting between Councillor Lucas and Joy Seppala. From what I have seen on forums and spoken to fellow supporters most people want Coventry back in Coventry regardless of the circumstances.

Very disappointed in you Mr Reid. Get a grip on what the fans really want instead of making it up to suit yourself.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Oh dear? what don't have any answers to your argument BHSB is always open for a debate unlike some.

I've had enough of all these "I dont like Sisu but" wankers on here so after 54 years I am fully behind starting a new club and let all the twats follow Sisu out of the city in their shed. I hope its in Warwickshire because Ive got to see the reaction when Sisu go to their council and say we need your help ha ha ha

mrtrench

Back to Les. IMO he is a shining example of everything that is wrong with the CET:

- Lazy 'news' stories clipped together from Twitter or someone else's work.
- Opinionated and only the slightest effort to hide his bias. Attempting to make the news, not report it.
- An ego matched only in size by the hole where his talent should lie. Actively silences critics and bigs himself up at every opportunity.
- Makes it about him, not the story. You shouldn't even notice the writer for a good piece of journalism. Now everyone knows Les's name - that isn't a good thing.

I stopped buying the tired old rag months ago.

jagman

I am fed up of these so called news stories about our club, nothing has changed, from day one SISU have wanted to buy the Ricoh and CCC have wanted them as tenants.
So why do the papers keep regurgitating the same old stuff. Everybody knows the situation so why don't they just shut up until they have some news to tell us.

shmmeee

He could almost be 95% of people on here.

Exactly. So why is he given the title journalist?

Edit: Just read the GCBTTR statement. Makes no sense at all. States rental isn't a solution but doesn't explain why. Places blame on council only again.

Still no Sisu protest from this so called "balanced protest group". This whole thing reeks of astroturfing and plants to me. Theres a couple of here who talk about supposed ACL astroturfing, but if you trace back the roots of the other fans groups they at least lead to a broad cross section of fans. This one seems to link to fans who were handpicked by Sisu, a journalist who changed his tune the second he got an "exclusive" interview (which was repeated for free online by aforementioned hand picked fans anyway) and a right wing MEP with an axe to grind against a Labour council. Shocking that the Telegraph give them preferential column inches especially when they relegate the Sky Blue Trust press release to the Letters Page.

The whole thing stinks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread