Leon McKenzie-Stephen Hughes. (1 Viewer)

Adge

Was recently called out by Leon McKenzie when I said that during the FA cup replay against Bristol City in 2007, that some players were not playing for the manager. Interestingly, Chris Birchall said that after the match Stephen Hughes had gone to the boardroom demanding that they sack Micky Adams who was the manager at the time. Hmmmmm......

fernandopartridge

Birchall was on one of the podcasts recently, assume it was on there.

I think Hughes was right about Micky Adams, he'd lost the plot. I read Adams' autobiography, he is a very bitter man with an inflated opinion of himself.

NorthernWisdom

I liked Adams for us. Unrealistic expectations set by us winning a bunch of glorified friendlies to finish seventh the season before he was sacked, Operation premiership and the bonds all looking a little dubious, too.

fernandopartridge

I liked Adams for us. Unrealistic expectations set by us winning a bunch of glorified friendlies to finish seventh the season before he was sacked, Operation premiership and the bonds all looking a little dubious, too.

In fairness, our best form was in January - February, we had a run of 5 wins in 7 games. Dennis Wise was the difference though nothing to do with "glorified friendlies"

NorthernWisdom

In fairness, our best form was in January - February, we had a run of 5 wins in 7 games. Dennis Wise was the difference though nothing to do with "glorified friendlies"
End of season, lots of teams not trying as hard as they might otherwise, a rather unrealistic assessment of our capabilities. Reason Wise was the difference was he was the kind of player to give 100% even if there was nothing at stake.

Conversely, we saw with Coleman's first full season, that when the play-offs got out of reach, we just went on holiday for the rest of the season. Similar happened with Sillett for that matter, the season we finished seventh and really were in the title hunt for a fair old chunk of the season. Once that had gone...

Sky Blue Harry H

The one good thing about the play offs/relegation places nowadays is that there tend to be less 'nothing to play for' games until right near the end of the season. They are really horrible. Nothing worse than seeing a team 'on the beach' unless they are playing against you!

Adge

I think Hughes was right about Micky Adams, he'd lost the plot. I read Adams' autobiography, he is a very bitter man with an inflated opinion of himself.
Always thought that about Hughes aswell-thought he was better than he was as he had played a few games for Arsenal over a long period of time. Got found out at Watford/Charlton and we unfortunately got lumbered with him.

Last edited:

Evo1883

When he cupped his ears to the fans the writing was on the wall for adams, never liked him after that

Hobo

Was recently called out by Leon McKenzie when I said that during the FA cup replay against Bristol City in 2007, that some players were not playing for the manager. Interestingly, Chris Birchall said that after the match Stephen Hughes had gone to the boardroom demanding that they sack Micky Adams who was the manager at the time. Hmmmmm......

Never rated Hughes or McKenzie. None events amongst the great players we have had.

procdoc

Leon Mackenzie fact - I nearly signed him for my old Sunday league team at the same time that I signed Patrick Suffo. So basically could have had a front two of McKenzie and Suffo rocking it in the Nuneaton & District Sunday League

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I liked Hughes and Adams. Hughes was a good player. He didn’t run round like a headless chicken so was always on a loser with some of our fans

No he didn't but what I didn't like was that as the supposed creative spark he either passed it backwards immediately or took so long to turn look up and pick a forward pass (often a very simple rather than decisive one) the opposition had regrouped. Killed off so many potential breakaways and attacking moves.

Legia Sky Blue

Hughes was very good in his first season with us, but people forget that because his subsequent time with us was a bit of a disappointment.

Offhegoes

Stuff of nightmares when I think back to our midfield of Stephen Hughes, Michael Doyle, David Bell and Colin Cameron / James Scrowcroft

Blind-Faith

He was great until he got his contract, then he was just above average. We’ve certainly had a lot worse put the shirt on that’s for sure 👍

Users who are viewing this thread