legends of the premier league (1 Viewer)

easytiger1

Hi there,
It is, as you will doubtless soon be made very aware, 20 years of the Prem next season.
As your team has spent at least one season in the top flight I wondered if you might like to contribute your top three 'Club Legends' to a book due out soon in conjunction with talkSPORT Radio and the publishers Simon & Schuster.
A 'Club Legend' is distinct from a general 'Premiership Legend.' It is, for example, Gary Neville rather than David Beckham, Jamie Carragher rather than Steven Gerrard, Paul Merson rather than Thierry Henry, you get the picture.
It need not be a player but just somebody strongly associated with the club during the last 20 years. It is most likely a player but it could be that bloke at Portsmouth with the tattoos or it could be Ken Bates at Chelsea (although that is unlikely).
Regardless of who it is, he is likely to be talked about in the boozer after the match with the same reverence/ frequency as anybody else in the game.
Obviously, any help you provide will be acknowledged in the book.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Best,
Bill Borrows (Editor)

rob9872

Is there any chance of people ever remembering that football was around long before Sky television and that this notion of 20 years is merely the old first division? I'm sure there is a whole generation of people who belive the game was invented by Rupert Murdoch!

rob9872

Thanks also for the generic email posted on the boards of all sites presumably. Rather than even bother to tailor it for us having spent 8 seasons in the EPL (34 in the top flight) we get the "as your team has spent at least one year ... "

Robccfc87

Oggy is a good shout, and without going down the normal attacking player route I also thought Roland was as good a defender we have ever had.

rob9872

Keith O'Neill, Kev Monks and the Mad Hatters :)

Serious would be Oggy, Huckerby and Whelan (Dublin was a much better player but not club legend for me in the way I interpret the request)

C

Clive Plattini

Well I'm fairly sure Henry is more of a legend than Merson. That's probably why there is a statue of him outside the Emirates and not Merson.

superskyblue

Thanks also for the generic email posted on the boards of all sites presumably. Rather than even bother to tailor it for us having spent 8 seasons in the EPL (34 in the top flight) we get the "as your team has spent at least one year ... "

Nothing like treating your guests well ay?!?!

Obviously Oggy and also Trevor Peake and John Sillett for me.. what about KD?!

Changeyourface

Why would you want to celebrate the fact that almost twenty years ago big money companies started on their long and successful mission to ruin football for the working class. Despite Sky's insistance football did not start in 1993.

WillieStanley

Roland Nilson, Gary McAllister and Mustapha Hadji
Darren Huckerby, Robbie Keane and Peter Ndlovu
Noel Whelan, Stephen Froggatt and Gary Breen

3 sets of 3

it was a close call but I couldn't fit Colin Hendrie in there!

Robccfc87

They don't have to have played Premier League, unless the bloke at Portsmouth with tattoos played did he?! Just someone associated with the club in last 20 years, which Peake is.

Ok cool your jets man, the point is: we all know the Pompey guy, who outside of Cov knows Peake.

Nonleagueherewecome

Hi there,
It is, as you will doubtless soon be made very aware, 20 years of the Prem next season.
As your team has spent at least one season in the top flight I wondered if you might like to contribute your top three 'Club Legends' to a book due out soon in conjunction with talkSPORT Radio and the publishers Simon & Schuster.
A 'Club Legend' is distinct from a general 'Premiership Legend.' It is, for example, Gary Neville rather than David Beckham, Jamie Carragher rather than Steven Gerrard, Paul Merson rather than Thierry Henry, you get the picture.
It need not be a player but just somebody strongly associated with the club during the last 20 years. It is most likely a player but it could be that bloke at Portsmouth with the tattoos or it could be Ken Bates at Chelsea (although that is unlikely).
Regardless of who it is, he is likely to be talked about in the boozer after the match with the same reverence/ frequency as anybody else in the game.
Obviously, any help you provide will be acknowledged in the book.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Best,
Bill Borrows (Editor)

Didn't you use to work for 442? Or was it 90 Minutes? (how I miss that!).

My tongue-in-cheek suggestion is Bryan Richardson: a man with a vision for the future of a mighty CCFC challenging for honours. He brought us our glittering Premiership stars in what was to be an all-too-brief tenure in the re-branded top flight: Hadji, McAllister, Keane..Carlton Palmer. The same glittering stars that were never realistically in our reach and who we spent too much money on, along with a wonderful new stadium that we couldn't come close to affording. Truly if ever there was an apt man to symbolise our Premiership era, it has to be the guy who ensured we wouldn't get back there for at least a decade and a half-if ever. What a legend, we'll never forget him.

Nonleagueherewecome

I'm going for John Gayle, Kyle lightbourne and Steve Morgan

I think they were pre-Prem? Telfer is our Prem version of them!

Funny story about Steve Morgan..he was a Former Players guest a few seasons back. My mate randomly met Ray Ranson in the car park: was really polite, signed an autograph, and spoke to my mate for a few minutes about football matters..even hinted at the SISU problems to come with a few tasty tit-bits! Then that mad Irish bloke who does the ex-players stuff came over and said "Ray, do you have 5 minutes to have a chat with Steve Morgan here? He's a former full-back at the club and our guest for the day." According to my mate, Ranson scrunched up his face, looked as if he was thinking "who?", and said "hmmm..nah" well within earshot of Morgan, then finished up his chat with my mate and went on his way! Morgan and the former-players geezer were apparantly non too chuffed, but as my mate pointed out, it was nice that Ranson had time to chat to a fan: but a bit harsh on Morgan!

I remember Morgan pretty well: signed from Plymouth, was superb for a few of us early games, then had a few shockers and was never seen again. Until that fateful blown-out day...

Gayle and Lightbourne were utter shite, though.

They don't have to have played Premier League, unless the bloke at Portsmouth with tattoos played did he?! Just someone associated with the club in last 20 years, which Peake is.

He comes from Bosnia he is a big f____r - MO KOJNIC ............. etc

Has to be innit

PUSB

Paxman II

"A 'Club Legend' is distinct from a general 'Premiership Legend.' It is, for example, Gary Neville rather than David Beckham, Jamie Carragher rather than Steven Gerrard, Paul Merson rather than Thierry Henry, you get the picture"

Got to be honest...having trouble with your definition of legend between club and premiership? Your examples are oddly confusing.
Paul Merson rather than Thierry Henry? You're kidding right? You are publishing a book? Thanks for warning me.

telferstekkers

Hadji, Keane, Hedman - Golden Era!

Roussel, Hall, Telfer - Under-recognised legends

Phillipe Clement, Cobi Jones, Trond Egil Soltvedt - statues being built i heard......from a source (my nan's ring-and-rides drivers uncle's dog groomers paper boy, who used to live in the abandoned gasworks which the ricoh was built on) FACT! :D

I'll go for Roland simply because he's an unsung hero. With the exception of ourselves and the Sheffield Wednesday fans, not many realise just how good he was. World class player.

Users who are viewing this thread