LED Car Lights, Spotlights ETC (1 Viewer)

mechaishida

Inspired by DancersLance some time ago, via his curtain-twitching security light adventures...

Is it me, or are the LED headlights used in cars (recent models from 2 years ago upawards) unnecessarily blinding? I mean, it would help if all Audi drivers either dipped their headlights or just got off the road altogether, but I dunno. Maybe it's my age, but I don't enjoy being dazzled at 4pm by some tit who's too lazy to dip his/her feckin' lights.

And as for the massive, star-esque spotlights that the Rugger chaps have had installed in their ground just down from me...I swear, they're so bright, they have coronal discharge.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Nearly as bad as those drivers who insist on driving with their front fog lights on irrespective of the driving conditions.

Ranjit Bhurpa

I'm kind of assuming certain modern cars have their fog lights come on by default.

As surely so many drivers couldn't be so stupid?!?

Think you might be onto something there NW ;)
Anyone unfortunate enough to have a Nissan Juke approaching from the other direction will notice a separate 'sidelight' above the headlight and then the fog light at the bottom. It's like a chuffing christmas tree.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Nearly as bad as those drivers who insist on driving with their front fog lights on irrespective of the driving conditions.

These are the biggest twats on the road! When was the last time there was any fog that needed the use of them? I've had my car from new for three years and never once had to switch them on!

dancers lance

As it happens....whilst driving back up the A34 after weekend at Butlins Bognor Regis (Winter wonderland spectacular) last Sunday I noticed 2 intensely bright lights in the distance, as they got closer I was convinced I was about to be an unwilling participant in an close encounter of the third kind style incident (as nothing of this earth creates such a brilliantly bright light as this craft) I was expecting to lose 3 hours, have a one sided sun tan and a rather sore backside.

However it indicated and over took me, it was one of those new Lexus 4x4 things, which was rather a disappointed as being probed by aliens is on my bucket list.

Sorry for no "Security Light" update recently but I have been spending most of my spare time growing a Phil Oakey type fringe as a natural deterrent.

Inspired by DancersLance some time ago, via his curtain-twitching security light adventures...

Is it me, or are the LED headlights used in cars (recent models from 2 years ago upawards) unnecessarily blinding? I mean, it would help if all Audi drivers either dipped their headlights or just got off the road altogether, but I dunno. Maybe it's my age, but I don't enjoy being dazzled at 4pm by some tit who's too lazy to dip his/her feckin' lights.

And as for the massive, star-esque spotlights that the Rugger chaps have had installed in their ground just down from me...I swear, they're so bright, they have coronal discharge.

Sick Boy

The standard of driving in general in England is dreadful; I've never seen so many people not undestand lane discipline on the motorway.

The other week a young lad was in the outside lane doing 50mph. After flashing him he went down to 45, when I tried to undertake him the moron suddenly tried speeding up. Following this I decided to slow down and follow him :D

mechaishida

I'm kind of assuming certain modern cars have their fog lights come on by default.

As surely so many drivers couldn't be so stupid?!?

It's the sidelights that are automatic, but the arses I encounter have their LED fog lamps on as well, even at 4pm. Then when it's dark, they have their bloody LED headlights on, undipped, and the LED fog lamps on! It's like being driven at by a UFO.

Surely newer cars have the ability to have their solar-strength headlights dipped? First thing I did when I got my 53 plate Focus Estate was make sure the lights were dipped so I don't dazzle every poor bugger oncoming.

Don't get me started on women in SUV cross-overs tailgating pensioners...that's another thread.

mechaishida

As it happens....whilst driving back up the A34 after weekend at Butlins Bognor Regis (Winter wonderland spectacular) last Sunday I noticed 2 intensely bright lights in the distance, as they got closer I was convinced I was about to be an unwilling participant in an close encounter of the third kind style incident (as nothing of this earth creates such a brilliantly bright light as this craft) I was expecting to lose 3 hours, have a one sided sun tan and a rather sore backside.

However it indicated and over took me, it was one of those new Lexus 4x4 things, which was rather a disappointed as being probed by aliens is on my bucket list.

Sorry for no "Security Light" update recently but I have been spending most of my spare time growing a Phil Oakey type fringe as a natural deterrent.

I take it the intensity of the security light has melted the welder's mask? He must be stopped...

NorthernWisdom

It's the sidelights that are automatic, but the arses I encounter have their LED fog lamps on as well, even at 4pm.

They do, but so many buggers strut around with 'em on, I refuse to believe there are quite *that* many morons in the world!

Got one irate (apologies if you post on this board :D) by putting my rear fog lamp on (only way I could think to point out his front fog lamps were making it impossible for me to see, with him tailgating me and them filling my rear view mirrors) and then spent the entire journey being flashed to tell me *my* fog lamp was now on:facepalm:

mechaishida

They do, but so many buggers strut around with 'em on, I refuse to believe there are quite *that* many morons in the world!

Got one irate (apologies if you post on this board :D) by putting my rear fog lamp on (only way I could think to point out his front fog lamps were making it impossible for me to see, with him tailgating me and them filling my rear view mirrors) and then spent the entire journey being flashed to tell me *my* fog lamp was now on:facepalm:

Yep, been there, done that...I wasn't as Zen as you though, I was gesturing like a traffic cop and losing my rag big time.

In the end I waited for a quiet stretch of road and sped off, putting a good mile between me and him in his Range Rover UFO Evoque model. :laugh:

wingy

Good thread topic here.
I can only concur with what you all are saying and add that it is a symptom of the modern era, whereby the rights of the Individual to choose, supercede those of Mass benefit.
What I mean is its fine if behind the wheel of offending technologies such as these but tough if in front of or facing.
What's truly disappointing is that regulatory authorities allow these upgrades without any application of common sense, you can see it everywhere in daily life.

mechaishida

Good thread topic here.
I can only concur with what you all are saying and add that it is a symptom of the modern era, whereby the rights of the Individual to choose, supercede those of Mass benefit.
What I mean is its fine if behind the wheel of offending technologies such as these but tough if in front of or facing.
What's truly disappointing is that regulatory authorities allow these upgrades without any application of common sense, you can see it everywhere in daily life.

Well, with LED bulbs in modern cars, logic would dictate that fog lights are almost superfluous - it'd be a start to remove the function, because the LED sidelights are probably nearly as bright as fog lights.

Also, the dipping function on LED headlights should be highlighted. I've had no end of run-ins and horn-honking with morons who think it's acceptable to dazzle the shit out of me with their very obviously un-dipped LED headlights.

As for LED Spotlights and security lights, I'm gonna try and get a photo of the Rugby Spotlights effect on Tuesday night. It's absolutely blinding and I've had to buy a black-out blind for my eldest because it disturbs her sleep.

NorthernWisdom

Yep, been there, done that...I wasn't as Zen as you though, I was gesturing like a traffic cop and losing my rag big time.

Ever since I moved, so don't really know my neighbours that well, I'm always paranoid I'll end up giving some driver all kinds of wanker signs... only for them to pull into the parking space next to me ;)

So moving's made me so much more relaxed :D

mechaishida

Ever since I moved, so don't really know my neighbours that well, I'm always paranoid I'll end up giving some driver all kinds of wanker signs... only for them to pull into the parking space next to me ;)

So moving's made me so much more relaxed :D

Haha, the cautious approach, I should try it.

Since I moved from South to Mid Wales, the level of driving I encounter has improved a tad, but now I'm getting stuck behind tractors a lot. So yes, discretion is probably the best course for me too, 'cos these farmers are all Rugby nutters.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Haha, the cautious approach, I should try it.

Since I moved from South to Mid Wales, the level of driving I encounter has improved a tad, but now I'm getting stuck behind tractors a lot. So yes, discretion is probably the best course for me too, 'cos these farmers are all Rugby nutters.

I've been making regular journeys to mid Wales in recent months along the A458 and A470/A489. A lovely journey in summer but hard work at this time of year travelling back at night, particularly in the rain and battling against LED UFO lights, front and back fog lamps and tractors with headlights that seem to be on permanent full beam. Also the twats who switch off their full beam at the very last second. All in all makes a 90 mile journey feels more like 290.

mechaishida

I've been making regular journeys to mid Wales in recent months along the A458 and A470/A489. A lovely journey in summer but hard work at this time of year travelling back at night, particularly in the rain and battling against LED UFO lights, front and back fog lamps and tractors with headlights that seem to be on permanent full beam. Also the twats who switch off their full beam at the very last second. All in all makes a 90 mile journey feels more like 290.

Oh I know, the oblique and skin-shearing rain coupled with LED bedazzling is such a delightful combo around these parts.

Honestly, it's 15 minutes to my mum's house up the back lane, but in this weather and with morons and their LED fetish, it feels like I'm in that lane for a feckin' month.

Users who are viewing this thread