Learning from history (1 Viewer)

Tom's Dad

I've been thinking about our situation and looking for comparisons from history to predict how things could end up.

Rather than football, I think the miners strike in the 80's is interesting. I see many similarities with the division in fans to those seen in the strike. Even the 'scab' term has resurfaced.

In my view NOPM are the striking miners while those going to Sixfields represent those that went to work.

Looking back, there were no eventual winners and scars still run deep in places. I think we're setting out down the same road.

What can be learnt from this?

RoboCCFC90

I've been thinking about our situation and looking for comparisons from history to predict how things could end up.

Rather than football, I think the miners strike in the 80's is interesting. I see many similarities with the division in fans to those seen in the strike. Even the 'scab' term has resurfaced.

In my view NOPM are the striking miners while those going to Sixfields represent those that went to work.

Looking back, there were no eventual winners and scars still run deep in places. I think we're setting out down the same road.

What can be learnt from this?

That people will always do different things and you can't stop that..

Johnnythespider

That when we are back in Coventry they should have a seperate block to sit in

Only kidding before anyone gets an attack of mock outrage.

If we are to learn from history it is that all miners lost their jobs even those that formed the UDM, oh and the "scabs " of course.

bigfatronssba

Looking at the history of Ccfc, had we as fans been a bit more bolshy during the Richardson/ Robinson era we might not be in the position we are now.

The whole let's just support the team and bury our heads in the sand approach has contributed to our demise IMO.

Spionkop

Ron, I've still got the anti Richardson flyer that was held up by thousands at Highfield Road in a box in the loft. There was some protest even back then.
Tom's Dad, thought provoking post. I'm not sure the fans are that divided. 95% won't go to Northampton. That's a massive majority.
Make no apologies for saying it. The 5% are scabs.
Have to echo what Otis said on another thread - if nobody went to Sixfields we'd be back in Coventry by Wednesday. (Otis didn't use the word 'scabs'). But I do.

Sbarcher

This is sHIT. LEARn we must. Close!

NorthernWisdom

Looking at the history of Ccfc, had we as fans been a bit more bolshy during the Richardson/ Robinson era we might not be in the position we are now.

The whole let's just support the team and bury our heads in the sand approach has contributed to our demise IMO.

The problem with the Richardson era was the desire to personify, look for a figurehead, and not want to root out everything bad that had happened.

So despite Robinson and McGinnity being equally as involved in the Richardson regime, because McGinnity was a new face as chairman he got a honeymoon period he didn't deserve. Because he was part of that destructive era as much as anybody, the aim shouldn't have been Richardson Out! It should have been anybody involved with that era Out!

Last edited:

henry the wasp

Seeing as you named Mcginnity. What happened for Graham hover to get the sack and McGinnity taking over Contract dealings etc...?

skybluetony176

personally i'm a follower of NOPM until at least the team return to the ricoh but preferably until sisu are out (hopefully both will happen together and soon) but that's my choice.

but the word "scab" is an ugly one and doesn't apply in my opinion to the fans that have made the wrong decision to go to the sixfields. i'm old enough to remember the miners strike and i remember thinking it was ugly even as a child so i will never ever use that word to describe the fans at sixfields. if like me you are old enough to remember the miners strike and still refer to the 5% as scabs you really are old enough to know better.

Nick

Administrator
personally i'm a follower of NOPM until at least the team return to the ricoh but preferably until sisu are out (hopefully both will happen together and soon) but that's my choice.

but the word "scab" is an ugly one and doesn't apply in my opinion to the fans that have made the wrong decision to go to the sixfields. i'm old enough to remember the miners strike and i remember thinking it was ugly even as a child so i will never ever use that word to describe the fans at sixfields. if like me you are old enough to remember the miners strike and still refer to the 5% as scabs you really are old enough to know better.

Oh the older ones are the worst.. People won't agree but the abuse between fans isn't on.

Users who are viewing this thread