Learned a new rule of football (1 Viewer)

shy_tall_knight

I reffed a game on Sunday when it was extremely windy and our goalies goal kicks were reaching their bos. One of our coached told out strikers to push up and not to worry because you "can't be offside from a goal kick" - looked it up and is correct. Freely admit I didn't know this rule and I am an unpaid ref.

ajsccfc

If you win a free kick and you subtly roll the ball forward a few feet before taking it, you're guaranteed to score from it.

rob9872

Also did you know if an own goal is scored from an indirect free kick, a corner is awarded?

Looks like I'm in the minority as I genuinely didn't know that. I always thought an indirect free kick in the box that just meant it had to hit anyone before going in and wondered why they don't just leather it at the 10 man wall on the line (keeper usually in front) and hope it hits one of them on the way in as it rarely goes in clean. Guess that explains things.

pastythegreat

I reffed a game on Sunday when it was extremely windy and our goalies goal kicks were reaching their bos. One of our coached told out strikers to push up and not to worry because you "can't be offside from a goal kick" - looked it up and is correct. Freely admit I didn't know this rule and I am an unpaid ref.
Leant this last season! Can't remember who we were playing but everything they had a goal kick their striker was about 5yards off side. Looked a right idiot when I moaned and the woman sat next to me put me right on the rules
Still, got my own back when I asked her to explain the off side rule!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

ajsccfc

Looks like I'm in the minority as I genuinely didn't know that. I always thought an indirect free kick in the box that just meant it had to hit anyone before going in and wondered why they don't just leather it at the 10 man wall on the line (keeper usually in front) and hope it hits one of them on the way in as it rarely goes in clean. Guess that explains things.
In that scenario it's a goal, as the ball's in play once any other player touches it. (I think so at least, might be some kind of unsporting behaviour rule that prevents it)

It's more if a player takes the free kick to pass back to the keeper and it goes straight in. I think it's the same with throws, where that hilarious Enckelman one was only given because he brushed the ball as it rolled under his feet.

olderskyblue

I thought everyone knew that?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nope, you hear people in my block shouting at our players to get onside, and then complaining to everyone within earshot how our players don't know the rules.

rob9872

In that scenario it's a goal, as the ball's in play once any other player touches it. (I think so at least, might be some kind of unsporting behaviour rule that prevents it)

It's more if a player takes the free kick to pass back to the keeper and it goes straight in. I think it's the same with throws, where that hilarious Enckelman one was only given because he brushed the ball as it rolled under his feet.

Oh I see, yes that makes much more sense. There do however seem to be very few indirect free kicks awarded these days, almost gone from the game. Used to be a lot for obstruction but they mostly get awarded as normal free-kicks now.

coop

There is a bloke that now sits behind me and one of the early games this season he kept shouting offside offside from there goal kicks he was pissing me off I had to tell him you can't be offside from a goal kick.He said why didn't you tell me earlier. The point I'm trying to make is people sit there moaning and groaning at refs and player's yet haven't got a fucking clue.

Nick

Administrator
There is a bloke that now sits behind me and one of the early games this season he kept shouting offside offside from there goal kicks he was pissing me off I had to tell him you can't be offside from a goal kick.He said why didn't you tell me earlier. The point I'm trying to make is people sit there moaning and groaning at refs and player's yet haven't got a fucking clue.

Worse when they get the players names wrong when ranting.

Still remember the guy who thought McSheffrey was Eastwood. Up calling him a fucking gypo and all sorts.

ajsccfc

Oh I see, yes that makes much more sense. There do however seem to be very few indirect free kicks awarded these days, almost gone from the game. Used to be a lot for obstruction but they mostly get awarded as normal free-kicks now.
I hadn't noticed but you're right. As good as getting a penalty is, there's something special about one of those indirect free kicks in the box where they've loaded the goal line so much they've snuck half the subs in.

shy_tall_knight

How can you not know the rules and ref?

i thought I knew the rules rarely happens in the professional game a goal kick reaching the oppositions box it was very windy. PS I manage a boys team not a ref. The most frustrating rule misunderstanding when reffing is inactive players standing in offside positions being deemed by the linesman as being offside. Very hard to advise a linesman on this I've tried.

eastwoodsdustman

I did know that one but I learned a new one a few weeks ago. Beavon was offside and the free kick taken in our half. I, along with loads of others was having a right go, but apparently if a player comes back into his own half from an offside position the free kick is taken from where he touched the ball/interfered with play.

Nick

Administrator
I did know that one but I learned a new one a few weeks ago. Beavon was offside and the free kick taken in our half. I, along with loads of others was having a right go, but apparently if a player comes back into his own half from an offside position the free kick is taken from where he touched the ball/interfered with play.
Could a pen be given in theory?

eastwoodsdustman

i thought I knew the rules rarely happens in the professional game a goal kick reaching the oppositions box it was very windy. PS I manage a boys team not a ref. The most frustrating rule misunderstanding when reffing is inactive players standing in offside positions being deemed by the linesman as being offside. Very hard to advise a linesman on this I've tried.

I run a lads team and run the line. Also run the line on a Saturday for my daughters team. Most of the people doing the line are either just cheats or very very inept. You can tell because their flags up as soon as a players passed the ball. Before anyone has even gone near it. It gets worse as the lads get older and as play at a higher level. Frankly I'd be embarrassed to do some of the stuff that other teams pull on us week after week.

Moff

I have asked the FA if being Jamie Vardy could be considered a bookable offence.

Adge

Gentleman-let me put you right on a few things. There is not any "rules" in football. There are 17 Laws. Somebody mentioned there are hardly any indirect free kicks anymore. I Guarantee you will see at least 5 tonight and the most common being for offside. This can be seen by the referee giving a signal with his arm up in the air before the free kick is taken and drops his arm when the ball has touched another player or goes out of play Keep an eye on the ref tonight when he has given offside.
It is true that you can't be offside from a goal kick/corner kick or throw in.
Here's one for you all-now no looking it up!
If the referee stops the game for let's say the most common one, which is a head injury to a player, the restart of play is a dropped ball which on most occasions is kicked back to the opposition keeper. What happens if the ball goes straight into the goal passed the keeper? Goal or no goal? Or what is the restart of play?

eastwoodsdustman

Gentleman-let me put you right on a few things. There is not any "rules" in football. There are 17 Laws. Somebody mentioned there are hardly any indirect free kicks anymore. I Guarantee you will see at least 5 tonight and the most common being for offside. This can be seen by the referee giving a signal with his arm up in the air before the free kick is taken and drops his arm when the ball has touched another player or goes out of play Keep an eye on the ref tonight when he has given offside.
If the referee stops the game for let's say the most common one, which is a head injury to a player, the restart of play is a dropped ball which on most occasions is kicked back to the opposition keeper. What happens if the ball goes straight into the goal passed the keeper? Goal or no goal? Or what is the restart of play?

Get back in your technical area!

rob9872

Is law not defined as a collection of rules?

AJB1983

Must be same bloke who used to sit behind me, always shouted at Leon Best 'get onside' just before the defenders would retreat as the ball was kicked..... HE IS ONSIDE!!!!!!

Brighton Sky Blue

As a former ref, the best technicality I learned was that a drop ball doesn't have to be contended 1v1, so in theory you could have the whole team contesting it. Our bunch would still lose but an idea for others maybe? :p

Another big misconception is that 'deliberate' handball has to mean hand to ball-in actuality it means the arm/hand raised to contest for/stop the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread