Last kick (1 Viewer)

skyblue19

What would have happened had sammys shot gone in, would people have kicked off big time with the whistle just gone?

WillieStanley

Yup! I thought the rule was that the ref couldn't call time if a team was on the attack. I could be wrong, of course!

cooperskyblue

I was also thinking this, he hit it really well and i didnt hear the whistle, just saw all the players shaking hands etc... it would of been interesting though if it had thundered into the back of the net. I was under the impression that the ball had to go to safety for the ref to blow but i could be wrong.

jabharty

Aha, just what I was about to post a thread about. Shocking refereeing to even blow the whistle when the ball had actually come back into play and was at the feet of sammy again! I thought we had been given a free kick because all the players were crowding round the ball, but it's fair to say that we were all a bit pissed off by that....

ccfcdan

The ref blew just as Sammy hit the shot, makes you wonder if he tried to stop us from getting the winner.Strange decision,should of at least waited the 5 or so seconds to see where the ball ended up.

ajsccfc

I think the referee can pretty much blow up at any point after the alotted time so he did nothing wrong rules-wise, but he's certainly very lucky Clingan's shot didn't go in.

skybluegod

I think the referee can pretty much blow up at any point after the alotted time so he did nothing wrong rules-wise, but he's certainly very lucky Clingan's shot didn't go in.

no they have to wait until it is the end of the attack even if goes over the time

SkyBlue_Bear83

Obviously a big difference but a couple of years ago in a sunday league fixture, we had a free kick from about 35-40 yards. Our player took it and as the ball was travelling in the air the whistle was blown for FT, the ball went into the net and the goal was disallowed. I still think we were cheated :mad:

Not sure what would have happened had it went in.

scroobiustom

no they have to wait until it is the end of the attack even if goes over the time

That's wrong, if the allotted time is up, the referee is encouraged to end the match.

Like any decision in football its open to interpretation and 'they' do not HAVE to do anything of the sort.

ajsccfc

I think that's more the sensible and logical approach than an enforced rule. Even stoppage time itself is basically down to referee interpretation.

EleanorRigby

Referee can blow for time anytime no matter where the play is. What you are told at referee meetings or on any referee course is be sensible and don't put yourself in that position. Remember Clive Thomas in the World Cup, blew for time as Brazil took a corner just as one of their players nodded the ball in which would have put them through to the next round, you can say it was an honest decision but it probably cost him the World Cup final.

skybluesteve76

I'm sure he blew the whistle just after Sammy struck the ball. It must of been the case given our players reaction. Bizarre!

All the best

coop

The ref blew just as Sammy hit the shot, makes you wonder if he tried to stop us from getting the winner.Strange decision,should of at least waited the 5 or so seconds to see where the ball ended up.
That's wot I thought I think he thought it was going in and it would of if the keeper didn't touch it.he was shite all game

skybluegod

That's wrong, if the allotted time is up, the referee is encouraged to end the match.

Like any decision in football its open to interpretation and 'they' do not HAVE to do anything of the sort.

then the ref from the Liverpool arsenal match last season should be fired because it took 11 Mins of stoppage time for Liverpool to score when there was only meant to be 8 played but Liverpool we're on the attack for the time after arsenal scored.

EleanorRigby

Good referees don't get themselves in that situation. Thing is all refs at this level are experienced even if they are crap. It was his last match apparently, is in the army and on his way to Afghan i believe, perhaps his mind wasn't quiet with it.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I thought the ball had to be in the middle of the park (hence most final whistles go after a long hoof up field) or if it goes out if play, which itself has caused controversy in the past when teams have early a corner and not been allowed to take it. But yesterday, his decision to blow when he did was a joke! He didn't have the best of games!!

ajsccfc

then the ref from the Liverpool arsenal match last season should be fired because it took 11 Mins of stoppage time for Liverpool to score when there was only meant to be 8 played but Liverpool we're on the attack for the time after arsenal scored.

Stoppage time is always announced as a 'minimum of X minutes' so he'd be fine in that situation also.

Users who are viewing this thread