Knowl .... (1 Viewer)

Deity

latest rant re Mowbray overloading on Strikers shows his really narrow view on the game.

Almost all promoted teams have attacking options. If you look at the stats teams promoted on defensive clean sheets is the minority.

His fixation with Mowbray whilst ignoring the complicit role of Venus is frankly odd.

Our transfer policy was flawed this summer there is no doubt about that but both men are equally guilty, and frankly SISU let them down by not proving the budget.

Nick

Administrator
Why wouldn't you disagree with him and debate it on the platform you read it on?

They did overload on strikers, rather than defence and midfield didn't they?

Otis

Sounds accurate enough for me.

How many strikers have we got? George Thomas, McBean, Sordell, Tudgay, Wright, Kwame Thomas, Dan Agyei. That's it isn't it?

I make that 7.

Hadji10

latest rant re Mowbray overloading on Strikers shows his really narrow view on the game.

Almost all promoted teams have attacking options. If you look at the stats teams promoted on defensive clean sheets is the minority.

His fixation with Mowbray whilst ignoring the complicit role of Venus is frankly odd.

Our transfer policy was flawed this summer there is no doubt about that but both men are equally guilty, and frankly SISU let them down by not proving the budget.

And he would be spot on.

Philosorapter

I don't know much about football but can't we have the strikers playing in a more forward central position instead of two further out on the wing.

I know this can limit options but the options in front of goal would increase, especially with anything flying into the box. It would also drag the full backs into a more central position which gives the players in midfield who are more wide a chance to run down the wing and cross.

I know this would weaken the midfield and defence to some extent and cut down options, but the options and chances in front of goal should increase where you need it.

Perfect SWOS formation :)

Bob Latchford

Who's Knowl ?

stupot07

Knowl spot on. Last season we only played with 1 forward in a 4231, and this season we've only really played with 1 centre forward in 343, 433, etc. So we have 7 centre forwards (exc. Kids) for 1 position.

We have just 3 center backs and one of which is harries, not one is a dominant center back.

We play with 2 wide men yet only have 3 which are all left footed and inconsistent and so mowbray and venus have been playing square pegs in round holes in wright, sordell etc on the wing.

Mowvray (and Venus) left us with a totally unbalanced squad.

Edit: I'd also add that in a physical league mowbray has preferred to sign 'technical' players and although for example rose is quite physical, he's not an enforcer type player like say vincelot who was integral last season. In this area of the pitch we've been left with Stevenson and Bigi....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Otis

Knowl spot on. Last season we only played with 1 forward in a 4231, and this season we've only really played with 1 centre forward in 343, 433, etc. So we have 7 centre forwards (exc. Kids) for 1 position.

We have just 3 center backs and one of which is harries, not one is a dominant center back.

We play with 2 wide men yet only have 3 which are all left footed and inconsistent and so mowbray and venus have been playing square pegs in round holes in wright, sordell etc on the wing.

Edit: I'd also add that in a physical league mowbray has preferred to sign 'technical' players and although for example rose is quite physical, he's not an enforcer type player like say vincelot who was integral last season. In this area of the pitch we've been left with Stevenson and Bigi....

We could have definitely done with Vincelot this season. Our midfield is incredibly fragile and our best player is a kid fresh out of the academy.

stevefloyd

For as many years I can remember we have needed a solid centre midfield player...we can all see it are the managers we employ all feckin blind?... I/We know we need to battle our way out of this division once again we need some grit and determination are all the managers totally stupid as well as blind?????
Brian Clough had a great great talent spotter in Peter Taylor, without his ability to be able to see a team system and finding the right players to play in that system they wouldn't have been as successful, they picked up Dave Mackay, Archie Gemmil and unearthed Roy Keane among others also stole Stuart Pearce from us ...we need someone to come in and manage us and be able to kick the players up the arse when needed Warnock springs to mind....not the nicest of blokes for sure but I am fed up of all the useless bastards they keep employing only for us to fall further from grace...see shagging a bird didn't calm my anger

Sbarcher

For as many years I can remember we have needed a solid centre midfield player...we can all see it are the managers we employ all feckin blind?... I/We know we need to battle our way out of this division once again we need some grit and determination are all the managers totally stupid as well as blind?????
Brian Clough had a great great talent spotter in Peter Taylor, without his ability to be able to see a team system and finding the right players to play in that system they wouldn't have been as successful, they picked up Dave Mackay, Archie Gemmil and unearthed Roy Keane among others also stole Stuart Pearce from us ...we need someone to come in and manage us and be able to kick the players up the arse when needed Warnock springs to mind....not the nicest of blokes for sure but I am fed up of all the useless bastards they keep employing only for us to fall further from grace...see shagging a bird didn't calm my anger
But maybe it could "stem your flow"!

Captain Dart

And he would be spot on.

But he has wholly missed the point, this is not a team which is in with a shout of promotion it is a team that needs stability and the more combative type of player to ensure that relegation isn't going to happen, that is the priority in January.

Nick

Administrator
But he has wholly missed the point, this is not a team which is in with a shout of promotion it is a team that needs stability and the more combative type of player to ensure that relegation isn't going to happen, that is the priority in January.

He has missed the point about what? He said we have over loaded on strikers, we have.

letsallsingtogether

He has missed the point about what? He said we have over loaded on strikers, we have.
Maybe they knew they could not replace what we had last year so brought in that many hoping for one or more to fire on all cylinders?
Problem we now have is none have made the grade so possibly need another one who can get those goals for us!

dongonzalos

Who were the targets he missed out on. I know we heard about a couple. I recall him making a comment about finding it hard as Sheff Utd were signing all their targets.
The lad who went to Rotherham was a dominant CB ( with a shocking injury record)

singers_pore

I said before the season started that our forward line lacks quality and we would struggle to score goals unless we strengthened at the end of August. We didn't strengthen.

Consequently when the defence is on form we can sometimes get a draw or even scrape a win. When the defence has an off day we end up with a result like the one against Oxford. This is going to be a long, hard, depressing season in which we may well struggle to stay up.

It could get even worse if SISU do their usual trick of selling our best player in January.

Covstu

Sounds accurate enough for me.

How many strikers have we got? George Thomas, McBean, Sordell, Tudgay, Wright, Kwame Thomas, Dan Agyei. That's it isn't it?

I make that 7.
I think you need to use that term 'striker' very loosely when referring to those guys....

Bob Latchford

Bob Latchford

Users who are viewing this thread