Kick Racism Out of Football (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Does anybody think it is turning into a bit of a sham? Teams and players refusing to partake and people openly saying they wont support it.

Desperados

A lot of focus due to the players involved not wearing the shirt and others commenting in the press. I'd prefer focus on stronger punishment for any racism so everyone knows if anything is said/done they will be hammered. Wearing a t-shirt won't stop some peoples ignorance, but does keep it in the public eye so any influence it may have is good. Hopefully the players that didn't want to wear the t-shirt today, can come up with something that will help publicise any similar campaign more

Monkeyface

Honestly, when was the last time you heard something racist at the football? For me it was about 3 years ago, I know this because I've not sat in that seat for about that long. Anyway, a guy a couple of rows and to the left of me shouted 'dirty n****r', everyone around gasped and turned round, he didn't say anything, racist or otherwise for the rest of the game. Prior to that I can't think of another incident.
Now for those of you old enough to remember the 80's, and before that was a pretty common thing to hear. My point is, British fans aren't racist, or at least openly, which like it or not is as good as its going to get. Where the work needs to happen now is with the idiots that are on the pitch, and they're so far removed from reality, they wouldn't know what was socially acceptable.

rustyredline

I think it's good that Rio has done this especially in the week John Terry started his ban and basically admitted to using racial insults towards Rio's brother.

People who claim to be not rascist but throw such insults show lack of self awareness and a deeper mindset that they feel superior to someone of a different race. And so even in the heat of the moment there is no excuse for Terry, Suarez to racially insult someone or use the colour of their skin to get a reaction. And the fact they have most likely wore kick out rascism shirts at some point makes a mockery of the campaign. They should be forced to do mission work in africa for a whole season rather than a short ban and fine they could pay with the change down the back of their sofa. Maybe the fans are more grown up, in this respect, than the players in this country. Except for Leeds:facepalm:

Real

I'm still waiting to see what action the F.A. are going to take against El Hadji Diouf for when he racially abused a ball boy, and then lied that the crowd threw bananas at him to excuse it? Oh sorry, it's only non-blacks who are racist isn't it?

Macca

I'm still waiting to see what action the F.A. are going to take against El Hadji Diouf for when he racially abused a ball boy, and then lied that the crowd threw bananas at him to excuse it? Oh sorry, it's only non-blacks who are racist isn't it?

Hmm anybody who has expanded their horizons far enough should know that racism is far from being confined to white people

Macca

Contraversial as it may be, i think the players who opted not to wear the t-shirt had every right to. Im not usually a fan of Rio Ferdinands but I hope he doesnt get punished by United for sticking to his morals.

I m confused, does rio not want to kick racism out of football :D

To be fair if anyone wanted to take the piss out of him I
Imagine his skin colour would be way down the list

rob9872

Loving the irony of someone called "monkeyface" commenting on a racism thread! :)

Tad

Kick racism out of football? So does this mean Sepp Blatter will be going? Cause he's clearly racist.

rob9872

Kick racism out of football? So does this mean Sepp Blatter will be going? Cause he's clearly racist.

I think its just England he hates regardless of what colour we are

redsox

Facebook User
I do not condone racism in any way, but to get rid of it in football you would surely have to get rid of it in society? and yes it's not only non-blacks that are racist......but it still don't make it right. We may not entirely eradicate it but blind acceptance is not now nor will it ever be an answer. :thinking about:

kg82

I'm sick of hearing about it to be honest. I want racism gone, I don't like hearing anything that could be construed as discrimination. But I'm tired of hearing about crap things in football like he refuses to wear the t-shirt or they refused to shake hands. Nothing more than publicity stunts for those who do it to receive yet more attention (to be honest, I'm talking mainly about the Ferdinand family here).

Nick

Administrator
It does seem a little bit attention seeking. If they are really that fussed why haven't they gone out of their way to start their own campaign or something against it? If the under 21's thing hadn't happened in Serbia would as many be protesting?

Wasn't Rio Ferdinand done for a racist tweet against Ashley Cole anyway?

kg82

It does seem a little bit attention seeking. If they are really that fussed why haven't they gone out of their way to start their own campaign or something against it? If the under 21's thing hadn't happened in Serbia would as many be protesting?

Wasn't Rio Ferdinand done for a racist tweet against Ashley Cole anyway?

He did, but it doesn't count because it was about being white on the inside, wasn't it?!
Somebody made that point about helping the other day. Someone from the kick it out organisation said they can't do much more than they're doing, they're a small non-profit organisation. But if any of those footballers apparently "taking a stand" want to help then they're free to.

wingy

If its aimed at FIFA/UEFA I just about get it,IE;the inadequacy of those two organisations sanctions when dealing with it when outside of our shores.However the campaign within this country has been a resounding success coupled with the political will shown ,the work is not complete as there are still a minority in society and on the terraces.My fear is its possibly addressed to onfield feuding as a result of two very high profile cases in the last year,which need the involvement of the PFA and FA//FL/PREM rather than appear to Tarnish the good work of this Organisation.:thinking about:

I call a mate Chunk because he's carrying a little bit of Timber. This is acceptable and it's become his nickname. I would not however call him a fat bastard as that's just out of order.

Should the same Observations be made about coloured people? If you have a black friend what's wrong with giving them the nickname shadow? It's an observation. I agree that calling someone a Ni**er is disgusting and shouldn't happen. But calling a coloured person Monkey, is surely no worse than white people being called Polar Bear?

I think the whole racism card is just used because people don't like being called nasty names. Call someone a Twat and there is no comeback, call them a Ni**er and you are a racist, even though you may just be looking for an expletive to insult them with.

Disclaimer: I am not a supporter of the BNP or any other extremist movement. I just think the whole thing is getting out of hand.

ajsccfc

Ni**er does come with years of history and connotation that sets it apart from plain namecalling, twat is equal opportunity abuse.

Real

I'd sympathise with black people not wanting to be called the N word if they didn't greet each other with the word.

ajsccfc

Black people don't all use the word. A minority of black people reclaiming the word or whatever it is called when used affectionately shouldn't change the perception of what's still an incredibly charged word.

We need to kick Racism out of foobtall all together. There needs to be bigger fines, much bigger bans and equal punishments. Luis Suarez got an 11 game ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra, then that slimeball John Terry gets a game ban?! Wheres the concistency? Any Player found guilty of racial abuse needs to be fined at least £2 million and banned for at least 15 games without pay. Only then will players learn how serious this offence is. Any fan found guilty of racially abusing a player should be banned for life. Players may be over payed and some of them may be idiots but they dontmgo on that pitch for our entertainment to get abuse for it. Whether it is foreign players abusing english players, black players abusing white players or white players abusing black players, Racism is Racism and needs to be dealt with and kicked out of this amazing game

kg82

I'd sympathise with black people not wanting to be called the N word if they didn't greet each other with the word.

As ajs says, they don't all use the word. At the same time they're not all gansta's an' shi' either!

rob9872

We need to kick Racism out of foobtall all together. There needs to be bigger fines, much bigger bans and equal punishments. Luis Suarez got an 11 game ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra, then that slimeball John Terry gets a game ban?! Wheres the concistency?

Suarez was 8 games, Terry was 4. Completely different crimes too. The consistency also appears lacking from your argument.

Suarez used the N word.
Terry said F***ing black c*nt

I'm not defending Terry, he's scum, but mountains out of molehills here I think and time it was put to bed. It's all the context (which his defence was that he was repeating back with a "Do you think I called you a ...") which was the aggressive nature, but had he called him a f***ing c*nt, that would have been fine apparently, but putting the word 'black' in there was the reason for the charge. Surely the first part is the opinion and the agrressive part, the black part is the only fact in the statement that can't be argued with.

What I find most difficult to engage with, is that all of this should be banned if they truely want to clean the game up and not just the racism. Clean up the language on the pitch and the terraces, demonstrate respect not just with an armband or a token gesture of certain words and then we might make some progress.

at least £2 million

Don't be a muppet. £2million for Roy O'Donavon would bankrupt the bloke. £2million for Van Persie is only a couple of months wages.

To quote YOU "WHERES THE CONCISTENCY" (I would have put Where's the consistancy, but that's just me).

You wont kick racism out of football until the Black players start supporting any movement that aims to kick racism out.

rob9872

Don't be a muppet. £2million for Roy O'Donavon would bankrupt the bloke. £2million for Van Persie is only a couple of months wages.

To quote YOU "WHERES THE CONCISTENCY" (I would have put Where's the consistancy, but that's just me).

You wont kick racism out of football until the Black players start supporting any movement that aims to kick racism out.

Are you sure Rich? I thought it was consistEncy?
:thinking about:

Monkeyface

Apparently, 1 in 10 men are gay, meaning every club in theory has approximately 2-3 gay players, yet stand on the terrace and shout Faggot at a player and nobody will bat an eyelid. Oddly enough, a lot black people I have met and know are extremely homophobic and don't have a particularly high opinion of Asian people. It seems that the people who should know better about persecution are some of the biggest offenders.

There should consistency in each league. I'm talking about the premier league. £2 million is like 3 months wages for John Terry and he shouldnt get paid whilst he's banned so that would make a differance to him morally and financially. Obviously £2 million is too much to for football league players, but you get my idea. The punishment should fit the crime. All thats happened to JT is he's been given 2 weeks paid holiday and fined a weeks wages. Is that the message we want to send to our kids? Racially abuse another player and get paid to do sod all? No. Abuse has no place in football. Unless its aimed at Rapists and Murderers like Lee Hughes and Marlon King of course

Brighton Sky Blue

Apparently, 1 in 10 men are gay, meaning every club in theory has approximately 2-3 gay players, yet stand on the terrace and shout Faggot at a player and nobody will bat an eyelid. Oddly enough, a lot black people I have met and know are extremely homophobic and don't have a particularly high opinion of Asian people. It seems that the people who should know better about persecution are some of the biggest offenders.

Well there's the thing-black people aren't the only ethnic minority in this country. All of a sudden newspaper reports are talking as though we're in the middle of a racist epidemic where bananas are being thrown on the pitch every week. We're not-we just happen to have a high profile idiot in John Terry.

HarryWorth

There needs to be some perspective about all this. As Brighton Sky Blue has pointed out, we are not returning to the bad old days of thousands of fans making monkey chants whenever a black player touches the ball, or throwing bananas onto the pitch or even going as far as refusing to buy a season ticket because the team you support has signed a black player, all of which were a common occurence back in the 1970s and 1980s, pionering black players such a Cyril Regis, Laurie Cunningham and Brendan Batson suffered horrendous abuse when they played, both from fans and other players and it certainly was a dangerous environemnt to even attend matches if you were black. Thankfully society and football has moved on for the better. What wer are really talking about is one high profile case, John Terry, and the resultant punishment meeted out to him, which seems to have upset a lot of players. It would help if the players involved in the "protest" had actually outlined their reasons for it, I find that, generally speaking, if you have a protest it's a good idea to 1) know yourself what it is about and 2) explain to other people/media what you are protesting against/for. Looking at it from the outside it just appears to be a hissy fit by a bunch of multi millionaires. There is not an epidemic of racism in the game, either on or off the pitch, and to make out that playing football in the premier league (or any of the other divisions) is akin to living under aparthied in South Africa is just very silly and counter productive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread