Keys on Talk Sport earlier. (1 Viewer)

EleanorRigby

Richard Keys mentioned on Talk Sport today that at the moment we are on a race towards relegation or administration, then seemed to perk up a bit and said he can't say much at the moment but things could be happening to rescue things or words to that effect and he is hoping to be at the Boxing Day match with his good friend Gary Hoffman.

Are these secret messages ?

theres no rush for the takeover, id like it asap but just as long as its done before the end of the season, that way we can invest and get straight back up, just worry that if this doesnt happen that will be the end of the city as we know it

ccfc2011

we need some good news.

Hi,

I am a lifelong Coventry Fan, but new to this forum. We all have to start somewhere.

I find the approach of Key's irritating and thoroughly unprofessional. If there is a genuine investor in the background linked to Hoffman then better for all that the opening discussions take place discretely and in private as is good business practice.

This tweeting by Keys is unhelpful and might in fact put the investor off if he is required to conduct his business in public.

Key's is just a self-publicist and is sailing very close to the wind (again) tweeting from a subjective perspective in the capacity of a TalkSport presenter. He overstepped the mark at Sky and if he carries on he will overstep the mark at TalkSport. He should just let the interested parties get on with it without further comment before he puts his foot in it and scuppers the interest.

Do not get me wrong. I welcome investment. I just do not welcome the amateur and mischievous approach of Keys. He would do well to just shut up and allow Hoffman or whoever to make the running behind the scenes.

Just my view. No doubt others will disagree but such is the nature of life.

Happy Xmas to you all.

J

Jack Griffin

The paper is published in the morning so I wouldn't expect anything till tomorrow if the interview took place today.

Like the name Thorn IMS :p

PS I tweeted much the same sentiments (in 140 chars or less) to RK a few days ago, I probably wasn't the only one.

Last edited by a moderator:

@richh87

I think the opposite guys.

SISU need the public spotlight on them and to be shamed into sodding off. Remember that they claim not to want out!

If they're not going to jump they need to be pushed!

J

Jack Griffin

I think the opposite guys.

SISU need the public spotlight on them and to be shamed into sodding off. Remember that they claim not to want out!

If they're not going to jump they need to be pushed!

Isn't that different to RK talking about a Hoffman takeover bid. I'm all for adverse publicity for SISU, lets talk about them not about whoever wants to replace them.

Fair point.

But SISSU are not simply going to walk away - no matter how much we may wish that upon them. The solution rests in 2 respects:

1. Administration - which is the nuclear option and would be disastrous for the club beyond simply the points deduction. The majority of the fans want to avoid this at all costs, and rightly so;

2. Sale to a willing and legitimate buyer - despite all of the hype, we know very little of the substance of the alleged Hoffman bid. I am as sceptical of the Hoffman bid as I am SISSU without knowing the detail. It is easy to rally the fans behind newspaper headlines and promises that the grass is greener. We must be careful we do not simply jump into bed with a stranger (Hoffman is the front man - not the money man).

We need to encourage SISSU DOWN the sale route.

If however Hoffman is without substance (and given his track record, do not hold your breathe) then we must persevere with SISSU for the remainder of this season (unless a White Knight appears) and we are going to have to find short term solutions as we all have a vested interest in Championship football - I certainly do in that I much prefer attending with my son in the Championship than League 1.

Just my thoughts - no doubt others will differ.

cheers

EleanorRigby

I am certain Keys wouldn't be doing what he is doing without some substance to it, give a reason why he should, I believe the main man (Hoffman) is well aware and probably encouraging little bits here and there leaking out, i can't believe the one by one disappearance of our "new" board a coincidence and the latest departure gives creedence to what i was told a while back that the Hoffman camp were not prepared to talk business with Dulieu

Blueandwhites

I like the way nobody (particularly r keys), has actually disclosed anything factual about a prospective bid. Yes, if he did anything to prejudice a deal then he'd be foolish (he hasn't as far as I'm aware).

Personally, I think COV need all the media exposure they can get to keep the momentum going and sort this mess out. Keys is in the business of 'chat' so while he's indicating there may be hope, then I'm happy with that. Like alot of posters I'll get excited when something happens which I think it will. How long it takes is another matter.

Ps Happy Xmas .

Anybody who posts anything remotely associated with Keys.....shall be replied with to with the words "He's behind you" from here on in. Panto time.

Nonleagueherewecome

I am certain Keys wouldn't be doing what he is doing without some substance to it, give a reason why he should, I believe the main man (Hoffman) is well aware and probably encouraging little bits here and there leaking out, i can't believe the one by one disappearance of our "new" board a coincidence and the latest departure gives creedence to what i was told a while back that the Hoffman camp were not prepared to talk business with Dulieu

Agreed. If Keys was about to leak something that Hoffman didn't want him to, he'd tell him to shut it, and I think he would. He won't go disclosing anything that he hasn't been given a green light on. Some in the know have told me they need united public pressure on SISU, and it could well be that Keys is a part of that from Hoffman's perspective (doesn't mean that they are explicitly working together, though).

That said, I kinda agree with those who find it annoying because he hasn't really said anything of substance yet; which of cause allows him to string it out enigmatically and generates lots of publicity for his radio show (on a crap station). Maybe it'll be different after the CT interview, if it happens.

LuckyGMan

Fair point.

But SISSU are not simply going to walk away - no matter how much we may wish that upon them. The solution rests in 2 respects:

1. Administration - which is the nuclear option and would be disastrous for the club beyond simply the points deduction. The majority of the fans want to avoid this at all costs, and rightly so;

2. Sale to a willing and legitimate buyer - despite all of the hype, we know very little of the substance of the alleged Hoffman bid. I am as sceptical of the Hoffman bid as I am SISSU without knowing the detail. It is easy to rally the fans behind newspaper headlines and promises that the grass is greener. We must be careful we do not simply jump into bed with a stranger (Hoffman is the front man - not the money man).

We need to encourage SISSU DOWN the sale route.

If however Hoffman is without substance (and given his track record, do not hold your breathe) then we must persevere with SISSU for the remainder of this season (unless a White Knight appears) and we are going to have to find short term solutions as we all have a vested interest in Championship football - I certainly do in that I much prefer attending with my son in the Championship than League 1.

Just my thoughts - no doubt others will differ.

cheers

Welcome to the board Onye!!

wingy

And what would be those short term solutions TIMS? sell off the crown jewels to maintain us till seasons end ,thus guaranteeing L1 footy for you ,your son and the rest of us.

Why do you keep referring to them as SISSU? I cant understand how someone claims to have such an opinion on them but doesn't even know how to spell their name?

And what would be those short term solutions TIMS? sell off the crown jewels to maintain us till seasons end ,thus guaranteeing L1 footy for you ,your son and the rest of us.

Hi Wingy - I am just cautious. If the Hoffman bid is all trousers and no substance (we do not know of course), what then? SISU (forgive my incorrect spelling earlier) are still in charge and will not just abandon the club leaving it rudderless. We have to evaluate all the contingencies and all I have done is flag up the default position. I have no short term solutions but if SISU are here until the season end then, in my opinion, we need to explore short term solutions - to simply protest without a willing investor in the background is pointless UNLESS the intention is to force SISU to engage in dialogue and look to work with the fans? - We all have a vested interest in Championship football (owners and supporters), or am I wrong in that view?

And by the way - I am simply engaging in healthy debate. That does not make me a board member or in some way disloyal, as has been commented by an earlier poster. If we cannot engage in constructive and healthy debate on this forum without risk of insult then what hope is there:(

The club is in a mess...and we have Bristol City next !

Cheers

davebart

No doubt SISU are so hated that even when TIMS makes perfectly sensible points he is shouted down. I can find nothing at all incorrect about anything he says so I find the reaction puzzling.

I do not know Hoffman - or banker Hoffman as I think of him - I have not stood on the terraces with him. I know that he has been on the CCFC board - a fact that immediately marks him down in my book. I know that his previously much vaunted approach to SISU disappeared in a puff of smoke when the chips were down. I like TIMS am reluctant to put all my possessions in his particular boat at the moment.

That does not detract from the fact that I have despised SISU since day 1 not just since RR disappeared into the wilderness.

But I also think that administration would not be as bad as most appear to fear. Could anyone explain to me how as fans we would be worse off?

ICHAN

I can understand why people are pinning their hopes on Hoffman as people just want sisu out at all costs and can only see Hoffman as their saviour, however he is only bringing people to the table, we do not know nothing about these people and some (rightly or wrongly) trust Hoffman because they see him as a fan and has the best interests of the club at heart, not a view shared by byself.

To me these people could just be as faceless as sisu are/have been but then so could any owner, and I just do not trust any of them, why I do not trust them is because I know nothing about them or what their plans are at this moment in time.

Sisu came in full of big plans and so could any owner, they care about how much they can get out of the club, which is all very well and good as everyone is entitled to come in and earn money, unless CCFC become a hobby for someone or they want us to grow into a top team and so start getting some money through Euopean competitions (we wish) but we must remember sisu had the same plan but changed their mind after a short time and stopped with their investment of the team and have since been trying to claw any money back they can, by any means possible.
Sisu were also introduced by a third party to our club and maybe went in blindly full of hope and so could the next lot who are being introduced by a third party, lets hope not otherwise in a few years time we could be back here again.

Last edited:
I can understand why people are pinning their hopes on Hoffman as people just want sisu out at all costs and can only see Hoffman as their saviour, however he is only bringing people to the table, we do not know nothing about these people and some (rightly or wrongly) trust Hoffman because they see him as a fan and has the best interests of the club at heart, not a view shared by byself.

To me these people could just be as faceless as sisu are/have been but then so could any owner, and I just do not trust any of them, why I do not trust them is because I know nothing about them or what their plans are at this moment in time.

Sisu came in full of big plans and so could any owner, they care about how much they can get out of the club, which is all very well and good as everyone one is entitled to come in and earn money, unless CCFC become a hobby for someone or they want us to grow into a top team and so start getting some money through Euopean competitions (we wish) but we must remember sisu had the same plan but changed their mind after a short time and stopped with their investment of the team and have since been trying to claw any money back they can, by any means possible.
Sisu were also introduced by a third party to our club and maybe went in blindly full of hope and so could the next lot who are being introduced by a third party, lets hope not otherwise in a few years time we could be back here again.

Thank you Ichan. Precisely my point but articulated in a much more reasoned and cogent manner.

Hoffman is a banker. His world is the same world as SISU. He is a front man. He could be fronting just another faceless investment fund. We need to know more. Just becuase Key's tweets this and that makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Whilst there may be a consensus to remove SISU we cannot throw caution to the wind when it comes to prospective investors as there must be rigorous due diligence and scrutiny.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread