Just need to be more clinical (1 Viewer)

Jamesimus

Do we think our high xG might be slightly inflated based on the opposition we've faced so far?

Would be interested to hear of stories where a team that had a really great xG at the start of the season without scoring too many, then turned that into loads of actual goals later on, mainly just to make me feel better about Saturday...

lord_garrincha

I will never be in a pub talking about our xG, but will more likely cursing the chances we had & missed... I guess this kinda formalises this, which is fine.

I have a question for people who follow this...

If you are playing Man City & getting battered with no attacks or shots on target... But only for a CB bringing the ball out of defence & hitting a 35 yard worldie into the top corner. Would the xG be less than 1 (what they have scored)?

I suppose if a striker who scores 20+ goals in a season in a team with a low xG may be seen in a better light.

SlowerThanPlatt

Do we think our high xG might be slightly inflated based on the opposition we've faced so far?

Would be interested to hear of stories where a team that had a really great xG at the start of the season without scoring too many, then turned that into loads of actual goals later on, mainly just to make me feel better about Saturday...

I think so, Reading got hammered 4-0 at Huddersfield on Saturday. Blackpool and Forest are still to win and make up the bottom 3

CDK

We have supposedly 2 finishers in walker ,godden but think godden is the man but play him with gyo as gyo does damage .

Winny the Bish

If you are playing Man City & getting battered with no attacks or shots on target... But only for a CB bringing the ball out of defence & hitting a 35 yard worldie into the top corner. Would the xG be less than 1 (what they have scored)?
Yes your xG would still be less than 1, as it's based on expected outcomes out shots rather than what actually happened.

shmmeee

I will never be in a pub talking about our xG, but will more likely cursing the chances we had & missed... I guess this kinda formalises this, which is fine.

I suppose if a striker who scores 20+ goals in a season in a team with a low xG may be seen in a better light.

Yes. Because you don’t “expect” to score a worldie. Hamers xG was lower than his goals last season I think because he scored almost exclusively worldies. Whereas O’Hare misses sitters so his goals were lower than his xG.

It’s just another data point to identify areas on interest and give context to blunt tools like goals (and assists for xA).

Imagine a midfielder playing with awful strikers who keeps putting the ball on a plate only to watch the donkeys fail to hit a cows arse with a banjo. xA would be high even though assists are low, which might tell you he’s worth a punt in your team with decent strikers. Same the other way around, a striker with low goals but also low xG just isn’t having chances made for him.

Brighton Sky Blue

We had an xG of around 1.5 against the Loftus Road Galacticos

shmmeee

I will wheel out my favourite data phrase: all models are wrong, some models are useful.

xG has its uses.

Philosorapter

I'll have a shot here.

You are relying on in-game statistics instead of in-game heuristics

It is a bad way to try to capture the uniqueness of position.

xG is the road to mediocracy.

Last edited:

Frostie

Imagine a midfielder playing with awful strikers who keeps putting the ball on a plate only to watch the donkeys fail to hit a cows arse with a banjo. xA would be high even though assists are low, which might tell you he’s worth a punt in your team with decent strikers. Same the other way around, a striker with low goals but also low xG just isn’t having chances made for him.

Imagine Brighton last season.

shmmeee

I'll have a shot here.

You are relying on in-game statistics instead of in-game heuristics

It is a bad way to try to capture the uniqueness of position.

Who is relying on anything?

It’s just another data point. More data is always better.

Machine learning has proved the value of statistics with big enough data over heuristics.

Philosorapter

Who is relying on anything?

It’s just another data point. More data is always better.

Machine learning has proved the value of statistics with big enough data over heuristics.

That's not correct.

xG is like putting winning percentage together to find your best move instead of using engine evaluation to measure heuristics.

It really is bad sports science.

Evidence is below.

shmmeee

That's not correct.

xG is like putting winning percentage together to find your best move instead of using engine evaluation to measure heuristics.

It really is bad sports science.

Evidence is below.

Chess is a really poor analogy though, it’s got very limited set of states. Football is far messier and harder to model. Modern data science methods like ML are far more appropriate than heuristics which rely on an oversimplified model. This is why your player model based on team performance doesn’t work. It’s too low resolution.

Feature selection and refinement based on big data inputs is far more likely to lead to insights.

Evidence is below ;)

AlphaGo: The story so far

You’re trying to run before you can walk, talking about “moves” rather than individual player actions.

Brighton Sky Blue

Chess is a really poor analogy though, it’s got very limited set of states. Football is far messier and harder to model. Modern data science methods like ML are far more appropriate than heuristics which rely on an oversimplified model. This is why your player model based on team performance doesn’t work. It’s too low resolution.

Feature selection and refinement based on big data inputs is far more likely to lead to insights.

Evidence is below ;)

AlphaGo: The story so far

You’re trying to run before you can walk, talking about “moves” rather than individual player actions.

The chess idea could perhaps work if you were able to define a footballer’s ‘move accuracy’ as you can for a chess player.

shmmeee

The chess idea could perhaps work if you were able to define a footballer’s ‘move accuracy’ as you can for a chess player.

You can’t though. Chess is a very simple game to model with only relatively few game states.

People have tried and failed to solve more complex games through heuristic methods, it’s only when approaches like reinforcement learning and deep learning (which are statistics based) were applied that we’ve had any success.

Grendel

giphy.gif

Philosorapter

Schmmeee, you are wrong.

The difference between a standard engine and Alpha-go is how they approach measuring heuristics. One being top-down and the other bottom-up.

This is how they measure a position. They are not relying on previous positions if you take out the opening book and end game database.

xG relies on looking at previous positions which are built on game heuristics instead of looking and evaluating the heuristics in themselves which have built the positions.

You can see how a standard engine evaluates heuristics below.

Last edited:

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don't think anyone can deny our finishing is generally pretty poor. It has been for several seasons. Even when we won league 1, most of our games were done with a single goal and we could, and should, have scored more.

shmmeee

Schmmeee, you are wrong.

The difference between a standard engine and Alpha-go is how they approach measuring heuristics. One being top-down and the other bottom-up.

This is how they measure a position. They are not relying on previous positions if you take out the opening book and end game database.

xG relies on looking at previous positions which are built on game heuristics instead of looking and evaluating the heuristics in themselves which have built the positions.

You can see how a standard engine evaluates heuristics below.

You’re missing my point. AlphaGo couldn’t rely on standard heuristic methods because the game space was too large to brute force like chess. Football has an even bigger game space. More akin to something like StarCraft (another game DeepMind are having more success than most at modelling).

Rules based engines like we use for chess will only get you so far, then you need statistical models.

Philosorapter

You’re missing my point. AlphaGo couldn’t rely on standard heuristic methods because the game space was too large to brute force like chess. Football has an even bigger game space. More akin to something like StarCraft (another game DeepMind are having more success than most at modelling).

Rules based engines like we use for chess will only get you so far, then you need statistical models.
moving-goalpost.gif

Users who are viewing this thread