Just got back.....a long but eventful day! (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

For a quick low down of what I saw:

Fans fantastic...even though a few were worse for wear! That stadium is great but do their fans ever cheer the team on unless they score?
The tannoy was excruciatingly loud! The welcome was warm.

The game began well. We matched and even seemed better than them for 30 minutes.
Wood encouraging at the back and keeping the line high. Clarke looked a little suspect and did hold his own for a while against Chamberlaine but his distribution was nervy and tbf he got worse as the game went on. He appears to lack confidence and for me I would look for Christie to be given a start next outing.

Moussa looked pretty good. Has intellegence and a little pace. Went off I guess because of fitness?
Barton? What can I say...he likes to get on the ball, check his hair first and then remember to look good. fails miserably and appears slow and has not idea where he is passing it next. he was at serious fault for giving the ball away under no pressure for two of our goals. A waste of time.
Bailey looks a good asset with a good engine. Liked what I saw of him.
Reckord.....looks very good. Like him, looks for a pass, movement good. Think we have solved the LB position.
Murphy was better tonight but just wish he would come out and command his area better and what was he flapping at for that Chamberlaine goal?
Ball came on and looks overweight. Not very good but did make the run to get on the end of Bakers very good cross for the goal.
Baker was better and at times very good but in and out of the game. trying all game though and he put in some good balls. McSheffrey was OK tonight down the middle. Did a bit of roaming and got into good positions and created opoortunities. With another few games think he will be sharper. Knew how to get us a few free kicks! Went on a good run but finished blazing over from acute angle. Needs more games...
Fleck not on for long but brilliant trhough ball and a few good touches. he needs to play.
Team too 'small' - we need someone who can hold the ball up a bit at times. Nice to see we played it on the ground and had as much possesion as them first half and was unlucky to go in 1-0 down.
Oh but Brown! Please send him back to where he came from. At fault 3 times tonight and not pretty. Scorline flattered Arsenal due to this. when the 5th went in Arsenal seemed to run the show the last 20 minutes. Wood got worse but frankly was working on his own due to Brown's uselessness.
Like the new loan players, want to see the Edge back, Brown gone along with barton, ball, Killbane and anothet hopelessly inept player Elliot. Lazy guy and does not make any effort.

So there you go for what my opinions worth. It was so encouraging for 55/60 minutes but you can't expect to do well when a few players are just not capable enough and making grave errors?
Heads did not drop and they kept going.

There is positives in all that because things have become clearer to Robins for sure. I see him playing all his loanees at Oldham as they are better than what we have!
Pity McGoldrick was cup tied...may have made a difference too. Cody? don't know...still did not have a run out after 5-1 for 10 minutes?

Not disgraced, as I said flattered by the scoreline Arsenal but certain players are to be weeded out and sent away for me. If Brown is picked again by Robins I will be in disbelief.

;)

Diehard Si

About their 2nd they said on the radio he was complaining his was unsighted for it.

How did our midfield line up formation wise? Was it Moussa left and Sheff in the Fleck role? I didnt ever quite grasp this.

It's a shame about Barton. He's clearly got some class but can see now why Preston got rid. The commentary said 1 of the goals was Baileys fault tho.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. I'd been working in Barnsley all day so no way I fancied going London after.

SkyBlueScottie

Pax, Christie was signing autographs before the last home game in the JSB area, and seemed to be limping so not sure he is ready to start. Did he play in the under 21 game earlier in the week?

Otis

You get the feeling that Barton wouldn't have been playing had Henderson been eligible. Thomas when fit will surely be ahead of him too.

@richh87

I was enjoying the report until you said Elliot is lazy - then I couldn't take it seriously.

Otis

Yep. That is one label I thought I would never hear about Eliiot. Usually the bloke is running round like a headless chicken chasing everything.

withnail

I've got a mate who's a Hearts fan.
I asked him to sum up Elliot and he said he works hard, you'll like him, but he's not a goal scorer.
He was bang on.
They played him in midfield on occasion.

JazzCat

Agree with everything there. Apart from the lazy Elliot comment he runs his socks off. I think he'll be a great foil for a decent strikers his runs to drag defenders away are very intelligent. He'll only score 5 or 6 a season though.

Really enjoyed the banter with Arsenal fans last night by us. It was like the good old days. It'll be back down to earth on Saturday though. A tinge of sadness as to how far and between these great days are now.

Paxman II

Elliott was lazy last night. I saw what I saw. He did not run his socks off last night....seemed more disintrested is another way to put it. He failed to run and challenge players near him and when he lost out to a ball he simply didn't chase back. Maybe not lazy but lacking in commitment for sure. Too small and too inefective for me. Thomas is needed, strong and I think a better player altogether. If Christie is injured then that tough luck because Clarke is not himself....too many mistakes.

covcity4life

Elliott was lazy last night. I saw what I saw. He did not run his socks off last night....seemed more disintrested is another way to put it. He failed to run and challenge players near him and when he lost out to a ball he simply didn't chase back. Maybe not lazy but lacking in commitment for sure. Too small and too inefective for me. Thomas is needed, strong and I think a better player altogether. If Christie is injured then that tough luck because Clarke is not himself....too many mistakes.

thomas is a central midfielder,elliott is not

eliiot was ineffective but not lazy or not committed.

I was enjoying the report until you said Elliot is lazy - then I couldn't take it seriously.

I agree. Paxman summed it up pretty perfectly apart from this part. If anything I think Elliot tries too hard. In his eagerness to win every long ball the amount of free-kicks he gives away is becoming irritating. Needs to tone it done slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread