Just a thought..... (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
If petrol and diesel cars are to be scrapped by 2030, does this mean the end of Formula One racing, and rallying etc? Can't see those cars bombing round on electricity! What about buses and coaches, especially those long haul coaches. Will they all be electric powered?

Rich

Formula E is already a big thing. Electric motor cross bikes. Have you seen the electric VW GT racer? Fastest car around tracks.
I think you’ll be surprised how advanced these things are already.

Otis

You can already have battery powered cars that can do 300 miles on one charge. Just imagine how farther forwards the technology will be come 2030.

rob9872

Formula E is already a big thing. Electric motor cross bikes. Have you seen the electric VW GT racer? Fastest car around tracks.
I think you’ll be surprised how advanced these things are already.
I quite like the concept of FE with all starting in equal cars, but my issue is its about looking after your mileage currently and if uou run out of charge for before the end you could be miles in front and lose. The point of a race is to reward the fastest imo. Duffer and skill set, but takes the fun out for me.

Tommo1993

A lot can happen in 10 years but I think it’s a very steep deadline. They need to work on affordability of the cars too if it’s to be a law. As far as I’ve seen, the cheapest (new) will set you back upwards of £20k

Rich

I quite like the concept of FE with all starting in equal cars, but my issue is its about looking after your mileage currently and if uou run out of charge for before the end you could be miles in front and lose. The point of a race is to reward the fastest imo. Duffer and skill set, but takes the fun out for me.
I suppose it’s just another thing like tyre management. Hamilton didn’t win Turkey through being fastest. He just pitted less. It’s about using the power at the right times.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm been toying with the idea of an electric car but I love my Suzuki Vitara (19 plate) too much. Maybe in 18 months or so I might succumb to an EC.

Nick

Administrator
I was looking at the cost of electric cars last week and they’re just too high at the minute. £25k for a corsa.

Thats the thing, it's madness.

The other thing is buying a used Electric car, I'd have no idea what I should be checking. At least when it has an engine it is easier.

Then there's garages, I can take mine to a garage down the road for a service. They would have no clue about an Electric Car.

Tommo1993

Add to that the charging points. How will they provide points for streets of terraced houses and blocks of flats, etc.?

Finding it too hard to not be sceptical about it.

Frank Sidebottom

If petrol and diesel cars are to be scrapped by 2030, does this mean the end of Formula One racing, and rallying etc? Can't see those cars bombing round on electricity! What about buses and coaches, especially those long haul coaches. Will they all be electric powered?
It's a ban on selling petrol and diesel cars, So won't affect F1 as they're privately/custom made. The ban doesn't include hybrids and is only on selling new cars, So they'll be a period of at least 10-20 years before the large majority of cars are electric.
Coaches/buses have more space on them=more batteries. The issues will be charging times and charger locations. But I expect these will be resolved in over the next 10 years or so.

Frank Sidebottom

Add to that the charging points. How will they provide points for streets of terraced houses and blocks of flats, etc.?

Lampposts will be adapted into charging points. Probably some kind of induction charging technology similar to wireless phone charging built into roads.

My main concern is what the government are going to tax to replace fuel duty/road tax... Expect black boxes in the cars and pay per mile, With peak and off peak times.
I think in the not too distant future many people won't own cars and will hire driverless cars.

Otis

A lot of the new cars they are selling come with free charging points.

No tax and the electricity required is about the third of the cost of petrol.

I am very optimistic. Technology moves so quickly these days. Hard to keep up.

Tommo1993

You’d need loads of charging points along streets, far more than how many lampposts you see dotted along them. Think the best they have now is 8hrs from empty to full. It can only improve I suppose. As I say though, I think it’s quantity.

Frank Sidebottom

You’d need loads of charging points along streets, far more than how many lampposts you see dotted along them. Think the best they have now is 8hrs from empty to full. It can only improve I suppose. As I say though, I think it’s quantity.
Yes but bare in mind all those lampposts are connected to each other, Wouldn't take much to dig a hole every 16ft or so and fit charging bollards. I think some of the newer Teslas can charge 100% in 75 minutes now and get to 50% in around 20 mins.
I think I'm right in saying that utilising lampposts would allow quicker charging that your average domestic supply too.

Frank Sidebottom

Stupid idea.
Get with the hydrogen .
Yeah, I don't understand why that doesn't seem to be taking off in the same way.... then again our government is ploughing on with building a new train line when elsewhere they are developing things like hyperloop.

Otis

Yeah, I don't understand why that doesn't seem to be taking off in the same way.... then again our government is ploughing on with building a new train line when elsewhere they are developing things like hyperloop.
Interesting, because of when I think of this current government, I think fruit loops.

SBT

I learned today it's now illegal to punch someone in the face. Does this mean the end for heavyweight boxing?

pastythegreat

There is already a Formula E. Its as boring as F1 but fully electric.
However, I camt see F1 bosses rolling over or lying down without a fight.
Add to that the cost for the regular, everyday driver. Just the cost of buying an electric vehicle is inflated to a petrol or diesel comparison, so unless the government are going to HEAVILY subsidise it, or I have a lottery win between then and now, I wont be affording one.
Then there's the upkeep. I couldnt just take it to a back street garage, it would have to be local dealer, which we all know is £££s, then the batteries themselves, currently its a new £500 cam belt every 5 years, wait until its a new £5k battery every 5 years instead. The rich will buy new cars and sell before they're due a new battery, the poor will pick up a cheap(ish) car with expensive upkeep bills.
Then there's the trouble and cost of discarding these batteries.

Let's say, 2030 seems more impossible a target than it does improbable.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Otis

There is already a Formula E. Its as boring as F1 but fully electric.
However, I camt see F1 bosses rolling over or lying down without a fight.
Add to that the cost for the regular, everyday driver. Just the cost of buying an electric vehicle is inflated to a petrol or diesel comparison, so unless the government are going to HEAVILY subsidise it, or I have a lottery win between then and now, I wont be affording one.
Then there's the upkeep. I couldnt just take it to a back street garage, it would have to be local dealer, which we all know is £££s, then the batteries themselves, currently its a new £500 cam belt every 5 years, wait until its a new £5k battery every 5 years instead. The rich will buy new cars and sell before they're due a new battery, the poor will pick up a cheap(ish) car with expensive upkeep bills.
Then there's the trouble and cost of discarding these batteries.

Let's say, 2030 seems more impossible a target than it does improbable.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Thanks, Nostro.

ovduk78

Another part of the Government's plan is to replace gas boilers in homes with an alternative. I'm sure I heard on radio 5 last night that all new homes are to be built with heat source pump systems. The estimated cost to replace your gas boiler & radiators with a heat source pump system is currently £10-15K.

Rich

Another part of the Government's plan is to replace gas boilers in homes with an alternative. I'm sure I heard on radio 5 last night that all new homes are to be built with heat source pump systems. The estimated cost to replace your gas boiler & radiators with a heat source pump system is currently £10-15K.
Yeah not a fantastic idea unless they came up with a street wide system whereby they dig up roads to install instead of gardens.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

In the end I think it'll end up a merger/takover between F1 and FE. F1 cars already use electric systems more powerful than an average family hatchback and as it improves with efficiency and mileage combustion engines will become naturally obsolete. This is just giving a warning to the manufacturers it's coming so step up the transition.

It's happening in general electricity production too but far too slowly for my liking, with the traditional suppliers having far too much influence holding up the transition. Still not happy that the new policy is heavy in nuclear (again IMO due to power and influence) as it seems as if carbon is the sole important factor. For me the waste created and the catastrophe of a potential meltdown (which over a long enough period is pretty much when rather than if).

I'm happy to see the solar and wind power expand (even though I think turbines are carbunkles and solar panels should be the standard for new build homes to increase micro-generation) but I'm surprised we're not making more of tidal given we're an island with a lot of coastline compared to landmass.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Lampposts will be adapted into charging points. Probably some kind of induction charging technology similar to wireless phone charging built into roads.

My main concern is what the government are going to tax to replace fuel duty/road tax... Expect black boxes in the cars and pay per mile, With peak and off peak times.
I think in the not too distant future many people won't own cars and will hire driverless cars.

I've expected road tax to move more towards mileage than set rates for a while. As we change towards cleaner vehicles I think that's the way it will go with a bigger focus on the congestion on the roads rather than the pollution of the cars. Of course you can say we already do tax per mile due to fuel duty.

The issue will be payment and when it has to be made. I can imagine there might be an immobiliser attached to that 'black box' milometer so you have to pay it off every month or the car won't start or something.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

A lot of the new cars they are selling come with free charging points.

No tax and the electricity required is about the third of the cost of petrol.

I am very optimistic. Technology moves so quickly these days. Hard to keep up.

Doesn't answer the question for terraced housing where you can't park the car near your house. My house is about 20 yards from the road in a cul-de-sac so having a charging point installed at my house would be pointless.

Of course you can install points at the edge of the road and/or on nearby streetlights etc but if you've got a lot of neighbours or live in a block of flats with many residents the demand for them is going to be like sunloungers on holiday. Plus you could get some arsehole neighbour or someone you've fallen out with just disconnecting the charger to your car to charge their own or just out of spite.

Loads of problems with that if you don't have a secure parking area attached to your home.

Corrado

I am taking delivery of my first electric car on Wednesday - I'm lucky enough to have a drive so I have had charger for my house fitted already. I'm not sure how they are going to accommodate those that have to park on the street come 2030 though

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Stupid idea.
Get with the hydrogen .

I've always felt this was the system which most mirrored current motoring in terms of fueling etc, but itself does have problems.

Firstly, 'refining' the hydrogen can be tricky because it so likes to be friends with other elements it's hard to 'unglue' it from them.

Secondly is the image problem. Think hydrogen, think Hindenburg. It's come on a long way in terms of safety and they're very good know but having a handful of test cars driving around is quite different to billions of cars on the road worldwide, having crashes, not being maintained correctly etc. An issue will surely arise at some point which will not be pretty and that's all it'd take for the negativity towards it to resurface, even if you point out the millions of cars than haven't burst into flames.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I reckon gas in the home will be gone in roughly a generation. Not only is it a finite resource it's potentially dangerous if not done correctly with fire or CO risk. Although modern boilers are more efficient I find it takes much longer for taps to get hot now because it has to wait for the boiler to turn on, heat the water up sufficiently and then send it to the tap compared to it just being out of the tank.

So I reckon hot water will become more like electric showers with a heating element inside/near the tap that heats it up as you turn it on. Heating will become more electric based, probably with more underfloor style heating to provide even warmth rather than a radiator warming up a small area of a room and spreading out.

Sick Boy

Over in Italy non-petrol and disel cars are very common, the main alternative is LPG, I have it in an Audi and you don't notice the difference - I do around 400KM for €20.

Grendel

Over in Italy non-petrol and disel cars are very common, the main alternative is LPG, I have it in an Audi and you don't notice the difference - I do around 400KM for €20.

I assume they will be banned as well

Over 90% are petrol and diesel

Grendel

The one I have starts with petrol but then changes to LPG. There are a lot of ‘metano’ cars - methane.

Isnt that what Prescott had? Is there any actual boot space?

Users who are viewing this thread