JUKEBOX - Please Play At Centre Forward !!! (1 Viewer)

Can anyone see the advantage in the Juke playing the flanks for most of his games ???

We seem to have a centre forward who doesn't play centre or forward - he wins impossible balls at times, works his proverbial socks off but is too far out for this to be advantageous on a rolling attack as we are then one forward short in the box.

I know he is leading scorer but he could have possibly scored many more and assisted others if he operated more centrally.

Big, strong, excellent in the air, holds ball up well - all assets going to waste playing as he does - is it to instruction or what ???

I don't feel we have seen the VERY best of the Juke because of this.

PUSB

PVA

tbh he's a dreadful finisher (with his feet anyway, decent in the air) so as long as someone else (Baker/Bell/McSheff/Deegan) makes a burst into the box in Juke's absence then theres no problem really. I get what you're saying, but to me he seems most effective when he drifts out wide and gives full backs a nightmare. I reckon if you told him to stay central you'd lose out on a lot of his game.

EleanorRigby

Regarding Jutkiewicz i see him in the future as a barnstorming midfielder, not a goalscoring centre-forward, someone in the late Ray Kennedy (remember him) mould, sadly i don't think we will see it here as i think he will be sold on soon. Fans forget this is only his second full season, hardly played at Everton and is still finding his feet. I would love a takeover to happen quick and get him on a 3 year deal.

la-ccfc

Can anyone see the advantage in the Juke playing the flanks for most of his games ???

We seem to have a centre forward who doesn't play centre or forward - he wins impossible balls at times, works his proverbial socks off but is too far out for this to be advantageous on a rolling attack as we are then one forward short in the box.

I know he is leading scorer but he could have possibly scored many more and assisted others if he operated more centrally.

Big, strong, excellent in the air, holds ball up well - all assets going to waste playing as he does - is it to instruction or what ???

I don't feel we have seen the VERY best of the Juke because of this.

PUSB

I think the issue is that he was having to go out wide because Shef/Baker/Bell had drifted into the middle, so Juke felt he had to go wide.

How would you propose us to win the ball or retain it going forward if he was not making such runs?

I would see the midfielders alternating for this role plus the two fullbacks overlapping as they indeed do.

Juke would be much more effective "wrestling" with opposition centrebacks in and around the box and then laying off short one twos with other striker or attacking mids.

Surely it is obvious that a player with excellent hold up play like the Juke is much more effective operating more centrally which is utilising his strengths for the betterment of the team effort.

PUSB

Gaz

I agree that he would be more effective trying to keep central in the game.
But I don't think he goes out wide by choice.
At times he should have more support than he gets up front and that's the problem and reason why he drifts out.

Stevec189

When playing narrow modern forwards will play the channels. Watch MOTD and see. The skill is knowing when to come in to the middle or having you counter part play the middle when you are out wide. Even Platt tries to play this way even though he is lacking in speed to do this effectively. Yesterday Sheffers did rather well in the supporting role and I think Cody will do as well. Juke did superbly holding the ball yesterday however is finishing is woeful. onwards and upwards! PUSB.

stupot07

Juke peels out wide to give us an outlet, it's about making sure he's in the centre at the right time. Marlon king spent 90% of games drifting out wide, but made sure he was in the right place at the right time when the ball is played in box.

wingy

Juke peels out wide to give us an outlet, it's about making sure he's in the centre at the right time. Marlon king spent 90% of games drifting out wide, but made sure he was in the right place at the right time when the ball is played in box.

Agreed and when a lot of delivery comes from the keeper ,its naturely going to to come in at a tangent.

Sky Blue Sheepy

Agreed. What I've noticed though is a lot of crosses from the right were actually by Juke, rather than him drifting in. Not all the time ofc.

ajsccfc

As basically a lone forward, his job was to chase, win and hold possession anywhere across the forward line while support appears, which happened quite a lot as David Bell got into the box more yesterday than I think he has in his entire career combined. It was slightly frustrating as there were points with Jutkiewicz crossing to Bell when you'd want it to be the other way round, but that's the nature of the role he was playing really. I thought he did well.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
He shud be an out and out centre forward imo. He looks a right handful for centre backs, and Turner made comments about this after the Cardiff game.

Ive rated him since day 1 and if he had a good striker to play off, he'd be better than what he is.

He does panic / flap at one on ones, but he is still learning his trade and I hope he is still a CCFC when he begins to put these away.

Users who are viewing this thread