Jude Bellingham (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Gone to Germany for £30m.

That's madness.

Terry Gibson's perm

They will sell him back to a prem team in two years for twice the money.

no_loyalty

Called up into the senior England squad due to injuries.

SBAndy

So he’s played the equivalent of 3.5 games at a high level and now he’s in the England setup. That’s ridiculous.

Nothing against the guy at all, but it infuriates me how we seemingly fast-track players so often rather than appreciating that they will need to learn. If I were in charge (which will obviously never happen) I’d expect all players to at least complete an u21 campaign before they’d be in contention for the senior squad. There would have to be exceptions where players haven’t been called up to the u21s but you shouldn’t just skip that out in my opinion.

Nick

Administrator
Hype isn't it.

To think it wasn't so long ago he wasn't really standing out against us.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

So he’s played the equivalent of 3.5 games at a high level and now he’s in the England setup. That’s ridiculous.

Nothing against the guy at all, but it infuriates me how we seemingly fast-track players so often rather than appreciating that they will need to learn. If I were in charge (which will obviously never happen) I’d expect all players to at least complete an u21 campaign before they’d be in contention for the senior squad. There would have to be exceptions where players haven’t been called up to the u21s but you shouldn’t just skip that out in my opinion.

I think that is part of the reason we are actually looking a bit shit again. Have we got any good centre backs?

The fact Joe Gomez is and has been near the starting line up is mental really. He was breaking through to the England team when he wasn't even getting games, but because he plays for Liverpool, it is like a fast track. I know he is playing a bit more now, but even so.

In my opinion there is no substitute for regular game time experience. Over the years I would rather take a regular starter for a mid table club who was performing well than a hyped player with little experience. Loftus-Cheek was a good example at one point when he was at Palace playing really well.

Maybe I sound like a dinosaur, but I think it is crazy Vardy is not in the England team either. I know he quit by his own accord due to lack of playing time, but he should have been getting the games regardless. Him and Kane have crazy stats.

Skybluefaz

Playing devil's advocate. Who should have been called up instead of Bellingham? I can't think of many I'd give a shot ahead of Jude. Maddison seems the obvious one if he's fit. Southgate doesn't seem to fancy him though.

SBAndy

The couple that jump out are Maddison and Ross Barkley, who has had a good start to the season with Villa. Beyond that, there’s an argument to include someone that’s gone through the u21 cycle like Tom Davies at Everton, or Ashley Westwood who has played every minute for Burnley so far (and yes, I know they’ve largely been shite).

But why are we naming a squad of 29 players for 3 games? That’s a ridiculously large squad. Could have just not replaced Ward-Prowse.

skyblueinBaku

Hype isn't it.

To think it wasn't so long ago he wasn't really standing out against us.
I watched him in the game against the Blues,expecting (after the hype) a world beater. I thought that he was underwhelming.

SBAndy

Bad times when Ashley Westwood is being considered.

He’s not. It just seems illogical that you’d go for a player who’s played 300 minutes of top-flight football in his life over a player who’s made 30+ PL appearances every year for the last 4-5 years (I haven’t checked those stats).

Nick

Administrator
He’s not. It just seems illogical that you’d go for a player who’s played 300 minutes of top-flight football in his life over a player who’s made 30+ PL appearances every year for the last 4-5 years (I haven’t checked those stats).

That's what I mean, it's hype isn't it.

Remember Theo Walcott too?

Travs

Nations league was manufactured by FIFA/UEFA to try and justify meaningless friendlies and the financial gravy-train... Then we still get more meaningless friendlies anyway

Users who are viewing this thread