Jonathon Afolabi (1 Viewer)

You'll Never Beat McPake

Watching Ireland v Czech Rep u19 UEFA championship QF.
Young player Afolabi just scored a very good goal. Looks quicker than Thomas and is looking for a club. He's worth a punt from what I've seen and could pick him for nothing

Saddlebrains

Did anyone else have to have a double take that didn't say Jonathan Aloisi or am i losing my sight?

Exit Stage Left

Did anyone else have to have a double take that didn't say Jonathan Aloisi or am i losing my sight?

John Aloisi was a good player and very underrated, I think he was just unfortunate to be at Coventry City the same time as Dion Dublin and was therefore often left on the bench.

Exit Stage Left

They weren't at the club at the same time.

As soon as I posted that I suddenly started thinking I had probably got my seasons wrong, was it John Hartson then? I seem to remember Aloisi was used more of a squad player then a regular starter, but always looked like he had potential. Who was getting picked ahead of him?

skyblueelephant76

As soon as I posted that I suddenly started thinking I had probably got my seasons wrong, was it John Hartson then? I seem to remember Aloisi was used more of a squad player then a regular starter, but always looked like he had potential. Who was getting picked ahead of him?
Huckerby, Keane, Roussell, Hartson all there at some point during his time with us. Always thought we should of kept him when we got relegated.

Exit Stage Left

Huckerby, Keane, Roussell, Hartson all there at some point during his time with us. Always thought we should of kept him when we got relegated.

Again I may have got my facts wrong, but didn't he also score a shed load of goals at Portsmouth the year before we signed him and also looked good playing for Australia in the World Cup? A old school centre-forward who liked an aerial duel with defenders. Ironically we could do with a player like that now.

mrtrench

I'm on holiday this week. Just been chatting to a Baggies fan. He said ' you bought one of our best ever strikers from us '. Was expecting him to say Cyrille but no, it was Lee Hughes.

Although he didn't look it I reckon he must have been a few years younger than me, as when I told him I saw them put 7 past us wearing shit brown he knew nothing about it.

Terry_dactyl

Again I may have got my facts wrong, but didn't he also score a shed load of goals at Portsmouth the year before we signed him and also looked good playing for Australia in the World Cup? A old school centre-forward who liked an aerial duel with defenders. Ironically we could do with a player like that now.
Scored 20+ (I think) in a season for Pompey and should’ve been retained in order to fire us back to the prem. Absolutely no need to sign Lee Hughes.
I saw him play a few times for Pompey before signing for us and was well pleased when we got him. Had a decent career. Including playing in serie A if memory serves me correctly.

baldy

Scored 20+ (I think) in a season for Pompey and should’ve been retained in order to fire us back to the prem. Absolutely no need to sign Lee Hughes.
I saw him play a few times for Pompey before signing for us and was well pleased when we got him. Had a decent career. Including playing in serie A if memory serves me correctly.

Yeah he played for Cremonese & was the youngest ever player to score in Serie A at one point
Really rated him & should've played more often...was pleased when we signed him from Pompey as he always seemed to be banging them in for them

fernandopartridge

Whelan, Huckerby, Roussel, Keane. He had a few injuries whilst here as well tbf

fernandopartridge

We signed him in December 1998 and he had scored 17 by that point of the season

usskyblue

John Aloisi left ccfc for none football reasons.

giphy.gif

CanadianCCFC

Watching Ireland v Czech Rep u19 UEFA championship QF.
Young player Afolabi just scored a very good goal. Looks quicker than Thomas and is looking for a club. He's worth a punt from what I've seen and could pick him for nothing
This thread did not go the way you wanted it to.
You managed to ruin an entire thread.

Exit Stage Left

This thread did not go the way you wanted it to.

You managed to ruin an entire thread.

Yes, but talking about John Aloisi and our days in the Premier League is far more enjoyable then talking about a Irish under-19 player I have never seen play or even heard of..........and you can't beat a good bit of nostalgia.

AlansEyes

Staying gloriously off-topic, I loved Aloisi. If only for slapping Danny Mills in this match. This video is a joy to watch, btw. 20,000 inside Highfield Road for a glamour tie with Charlton. Paul Williams showing his trademark pinpoint punts forward. Paul Telfer accidentally assisting a goal as only he can. Trond Soltvedt! And the fantastic moment as Danny Mills deflects in the winner. What a time to be alive.

Users who are viewing this thread