Transfer Rumour Jonathan Panzo (1 Viewer)

BornSlippySkyBlue

Didn’t we turn Kevin keegan down for being too small many years ago? Or was that just a playground urban myth?!

KenilworthSkyBlue

Is that from the book Staying Up? The club would have had hundreds of players on their database and I’m always wary chairman/scouts who claim they could have had a top player for cheap after they’ve made it to make it look like they know what they’re doing.

Steve Parish said Palace could have had Alphonso Davies and Ranson said we could have signed Henderson and Carroll....

More recently, Tommy Widdrington also claimed we were really close to bringing in Wan-Bissaka on a free a few years ago. How realistic that was is debatable though as a former Palace player who had a role behind the scenes at the club said it was more likely he was going to be sent out on loan.

I agree though, most of the time former managers/chairmen/scouts definitely claim they were close to bagging a superstar before they became a top player to demonstrate how knowledgable they are.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Is that from the book Staying Up? The club would have had hundreds of players on their database and I’m always wary chairman/scouts who claim they could have had a top player for cheap after they’ve made it to make it look like they know what they’re doing.

Steve Parish said Palace could have had Alphonso Davies and Ranson said we could have signed Henderson and Carroll....

It wasn't just in a database. I heard we were actually offered him. Probably an agent but it wasn't just scouting, it was actually "do you want to sign him?"

SleepyGinger

fun fact about when we signed Mo we had the chance to purchase thierry henry but we dint rate him or dint want another forward. (Can’t remember the exact wording m)

The one I remember hearing is Mo Konjic highly recommending a 14 year old Bosnian called Edin Dzeko to the club when he was here.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Story I heard was a bit earlier and we were offered him and decided not to pursue it - he was considered more a winger at that point. Also we had Dublin, Huckerby and Whelan so we felt well stocked in the forward department. Fee was about £4m I believe. Think it would've been around 1997.
I’ve heard that story, we didn’t want to risk the money on him.

like Ruud who was a CM at the time. We didn’t rate him there

Rugby Sky Blue

Very good player but there is no chance that he is coming to Cov, he is also being linked with a move to Seria A and Sporting Lisbon.

Last edited:

Gibbo

On the subject of 'might have beens' .

In 1966, we heard JH was off to Bury to sign someone, and we all hoped / assumed that, it was Colin Bell (RIP recently). Instead, in search of goals Hill came back with Burnley reject and then playing for Bury, Ray Pointer. Pointer ran around like a headless chicken for the rest of the season and was then got rid of. Man City were top of the 2nd Division at the time.

And on the subject of mistakes, JH made plenty of blunders, as I'm sure Robins has (Vincenti, Kastaneer, that guy from Hull on loan two seasons ago, O'Brien...), which makes me slightly dispair when people declare their absolute 'trust' in Robins. Everybody makes mistakes - most on here think Sheaf and even Giles are mistakes. Fortunately for us, Robins mark 2 has made very few of them.

procdoc

In 1966, we heard JH was off to Bury to sign someone, and we all hoped / assumed that, it was Colin Bell (RIP recently). Instead, in search of goals Hill came back with Burnley reject and then playing for Bury, Ray Pointer. Pointer ran around like a headless chicken for the rest of the season and was then got rid of. Man City were top of the 2nd Division at the time.

And on the subject of mistakes, JH made plenty of blunders, as I'm sure Robins has (Vincenti, Kastaneer, that guy from Hull on loan two seasons ago, O'Brien...), which makes me slightly dispair when people declare their absolute 'trust' in Robins. Everybody makes mistakes - most on here think Sheaf and even Giles are mistakes. Fortunately for us, Robins mark 2 has made very few of them.
Ferguson signed Bebe, Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson etc. Even the greatest of all time get it wrong now and again

SleepyGinger

With some of the dross we have had here in the years before robins it shows how well he and the recruitment team have done. A lot more hits than misses.

ms639

If you think sheaf is a bad signing, you know nothing about football

procdoc

Exactly. People who single out a couple of individuals as proof of poor recruitment are talking out their arse.
Robins has signed more hits than misses. Kelly, McNulty, Hyam, Rose, Fadz, Doyle, Sterling, Dabo, McCallum, Godden, Biamou, Tom Davies, Grimmer, Hamer, Walsh, O’Hare, Osti, Marosi, Westbrooke all contributed heavily to our success since Robins come back to us.
Of course there’s been the odd dud such as Vincente, Ogogo, Kasta, Junior Brown but overall his record of signing players that improved us is excellent

SBAndy

Robins has signed more hits than misses. Kelly, McNulty, Hyam, Rose, Fadz, Doyle, Sterling, Dabo, McCallum, Godden, Biamou, Tom Davies, Grimmer, Hamer, Walsh, O’Hare, Osti, Marosi, Westbrooke all contributed heavily to our success since Robins come back to us.
Of course there’s been the odd dud such as Vincente, Ogogo, Kasta, Junior Brown but overall his record of signing players that improved us is excellent

I’ve just gone through every transfer that’s been made during his second spell (not a lot on today!) and I reckon he’s running at about 80% success rate (quantifying success as the signing fulfilling the role/expectation required, so will maybe be more heavily weighted in favour). Might start a separate thread on it actually.

capel & collindridge

That particular 'headless chicken' scored 13 goals in 26 appearances. Bly and Hudson were hard acts to follow,

Hobo

There are all sorts of reasons why players dont work out for teams. A lot of the reasons are beyond a managers control. No manager or team has a complete success rate.

Kastaneer wasnt bought for the Championship and the fact we didnt eventually need him to get here doesn't mean he was a complete fail or wrong to buy him. The same can be said of Biamou and Bakayoko. Yes we need better quality but that takes time. For the time being they are our players and we have to get as much out of them as we can. We know they are not going to score 15 goals a seaon or even 15 beyween them.

procdoc

I’ve just gone through every transfer that’s been made during his second spell (not a lot on today!) and I reckon he’s running at about 80% success rate (quantifying success as the signing fulfilling the role/expectation required, so will maybe be more heavily weighted in favour). Might start a separate thread on it actually.
I’d argue that Chaplin was also a successful signing seems as we made a profit on him

Users who are viewing this thread