John Sillett Interview (1 Viewer)

ovduk78

Sorry if there is a thread already about this but I couldn't find it.

On my way down to Wembley I stopped over at my friend's house in Rugby and he had recorded a piece about Coventry at Wembley on either Sky or BBC Midlands which I don't have up here and it included an interview with John Sillett. At the end of the interview it went something like this

Reporter : When did it start going wrong at Coventry?
JS : What, this downward spiral?
Reporter : Yes
JS : I believe it started when they sacked me

Now while that was probably not a good time for John it was a bit arrogant for him to think & say that. Surely when Richardson took over and we started living beyond our means chasing the dream of the Premier League was a more accurate answer

Grendel

Sorry if there is a thread already about this but I couldn't find it.

On my way down to Wembley I stopped over at my friend's house in Rugby and he had recorded a piece about Coventry at Wembley on either Sky or BBC Midlands which I don't have up here and it included an interview with John Sillett. At the end of the interview it went something like this

Reporter : When did it start going wrong at Coventry?
JS : What, this downward spiral?
Reporter : Yes
JS : I believe it started when they sacked me

Now while that was probably not a good time for John it was a bit arrogant for him to think & say that. Surely when Richardson took over and we started living beyond our means chasing the dream of the Premier League was a more accurate answer

No he's right - he'd created a team where finishing in the top half was expected. He should have been kept on in some sort of capacity and recruiting Butcher was a disaster.

ovduk78

No he's right - he'd created a team where finishing in the top half was expected. He should have been kept on in some sort of capacity and recruiting Butcher was a disaster.
I agree Butcher was a disaster & I think we paid him 2 wages as a player and a manager which he refused to re-negotiate when his playing career was over, after 5 games ffs!!!!, which led to Butcher going. I don't agree that Sillett's sacking was the catalyst for the position we find ourselves in today

Nick

Administrator
No sense of humour?

giphy.gif

ovduk78

We watched it back a couple of times and it didn't come a cross as humorous, if that's how he meant it then I apologise. I'm surprised nobody else saw it

NortonSkyBlue

John Sillett has a point even if it is a tad conceited. What followed was dross and set us back IMO.
I remember the talk was that a player was to be mentored by Sillett with a view to taking over at some stage. Then it was Butcher and boring Don Howe. That means Sillett has a point!

ovduk78

John Sillett has a point even if it is a tad conceited. What followed was dross and set us back IMO.
I remember the talk was that a player was to be mentored by Sillett with a view to taking over at some stage. Then it was Butcher and boring Don Howe. That means Sillett has a point!
Wasn't there talk of Regis & Peake getting involved with Sillett? The memory of Don Howe sends a shudder down my spine. The loss at Villa on the last day of 91-92 when we were fighting for survival is up there with the worst performances I have seen as we lacked fight, committment & effort and were only saved by Notts County winning. It's true that we have only briefly hit the heights of Sillett's reign since he was sacked and if he was alluding to the downward spiral of performances on the pitch he was correct

NortonSkyBlue

Wasn't there talk of Regis & Peake getting involved with Sillett? The memory of Don Howe sends a shudder down my spine. The loss at Villa on the last day of 91-92 when we were fighting for survival is up there with the worst performances I have seen as we lacked fight, committment & effort and were only saved by Notts County winning. It's true that we have only briefly hit the heights of Sillett's reign since he was sacked and if he was alluding to the downward spiral of performances on the pitch he was correct
Yes it was Regis and Peake! That game at Villa was abysmal. Regis and Yorke had it too easy and we were nearly as bad as against Charlton in 08.
Sillett was coming to his natural end but it should have been a classier exit for all he had achieved at the club.

M&B Stand

The following that day was legendary. PUSB sung in the holte end

ovduk78

The following that day was legendary. PUSB sung in the holte end
We sold out the away end and Villa wouldn't give us any more tickets. Someone from CCFC,maybe even Howe, suggested we should go in the home end and there was probably around 1,000 in the corner at the start of the game. Weren't they all moved to the away end after about 5 minutes?

NortonSkyBlue

I was in the main stand at Villa Park and saw our boys got a bit of a kicking and were moved down to the Witton and had to run the gauntlet of the Villa fans in the Trinity Road stand.

Users who are viewing this thread