Jobello (1 Viewer)

cowboy1850

Here's an interview that Jobello recently did with a French site.
He basically says he has an iffy relationship with the manager, was made promise's that weren't fulfilled and has finally now been told to find another club. No revelations but he says he wants to go back to the French 2nd tier but has no concrete offers.
Looks like we might be stuck with him for the final year of his contact unless a deal is struck to end it.

cowboy1850

Kastaneer was subbed off in Zwolle's 2-0 defeat on Friday. Joint bottom with two defeats in two games.

Skybluedownunder

Here is the translated version if anybody wants it…

W.J: I am at Coventry, this is my last year of contract. The first season, it went very well with a coach who relied on me. Then I had a cruciate ligament rupture in September. The rest of the season, suddenly, I didn't play and my team moved up to the Championship. Then I came back last September from an injury.
FM: but, when you come back, you don't play?
W.J: The coach then changed his system, we no longer played with wingers, no longer with pistons. The system didn't really suit my style of play anymore. I spoke with the coach, he said he was happy that I was coming back, but I also explained to him that I didn't really see myself in this system. . He told me he would change it for me, but he never did. Therefore, he left me three months to prove myself.
FM: finally?
W.J: finally, I had to have another operation because of a knee discomfort and at the end of January, he sent me directly with the U23s.
FM: did you have any discussions with the coach?
W.J: not really. I wasn't even pushed aside, I was in the closet. He just told me that he couldn't promise me playing time. I had no problem with that and then he told me that I had to find myself a new club.
FM: how did you take it?
W.J: honestly, not bad. I told myself that I only had one year of contract left and that I had to work hard this summer to be in good shape and that if ever I had one or two weeks to change it. I was going to take the chance. In the end, I didn't even have the chance because when I came back I joined the U23 again. The message was clear. In his interviews he said that I had no future at the club. I had number 10, which he took from me without telling me.
FM: what now?
W.J: there, I'm training with the U23s. But even friendlies, he doesn't want me to play them. I don't play any match, it's complicated and heavy. I am looking for a way out, but I know that it is complicated with the current crisis and that in addition, I have not played much pro for two years.
FM: do you have keys?
W.J: There are a few clubs that have come to inquire, but there is nothing concrete at the moment. I am waiting. But the faster it gets done, the better it will be for me. I am physically ready and the club that will trust me will not regret it!
FM: do you have any specific wishes?
W.J: if I can ever get back to France, in Ligue 2, that would be great. It's a championship that I know very well. The clubs know me well. It would be better for my family too. Psychologically it's not easy, we hang on, I'm ready. But I remain open to everything, my main goal is to play above all. It's only been two and a half years since I've been gone, after all.
FM: Looking back, did you have any aspirations for OM?
W.J: honestly, I never had any luck. Every time I had to take a step, I had ruptured my cruciate ligaments. The year I have to go pro, at OM, we were discussing it, I ruptured my cruciate ligaments. Then, on the Bielsa year, I come back, I start with the pros, everything is going well. In December, I was offered a contract at a discount, which I could not accept. It was another policy at the club. Clearly, without bragging, if I was young today at OM, I would have played, I would have had my chance.
FM: how did the meeting with Marcelo Bielsa go?
W.J: personally, Bielsa, I was not too much of a fan. At the beginning, we were told that all the young people started again before the professionals to do a mini-detection over a week. I have never seen that. At the end of the week, we have no results. With time we realized that he was testing his exercises on young people to do them with the pros. The best showed the pros. Sometimes I was there and when the pros came in I stayed on the watching side.
FM: how do you see training at OM?
W.J: The last five years there have been a few players who have come out. It's always more than when I was there. But our generation, the 1994 ... we had one of the best generations at the club. Out of 10 we must be 5 professionals, that's not bad. We just didn't come at the right time. Club policy has changed a lot. If this policy had been on our generation, there are quite a few that would have played a role. It's also a club where there is a lot of pressure and that has a lot to do with training.
FM: but did it go well afterwards?
W.J: yes, afterwards, the more time passed, the more it included us in training. At the beginning, we were sparring partners. Then we made friendly matches. Then I refused the pro contract and returned with the reserve.
FM: how did it go in Ligue 2?
W.J: my first year, really pro, in Clermont, was quite mixed. I was playing, I was no longer playing, it's part of football. In the second year things are going well, I was one of the best players in the team, I was one of the best dribblers in the championship. I was again in my last year of contract, clubs were showing up because I was decisive. I refused an extension because my ambition was to play in Ligue 1 or at a level above.
FM: and there you meet Ferland Mendy ...
W.J: yes ... Bad luck again, he was playing in Le Havre, I had, in quotes, eaten the whole match. He gave me a bad tackle from behind, and ruptured cruciate ligaments again. The club wanted to keep me anyway, but I still wanted better. But I have not had better.
FM: you then sign at Gazélec Ajaccio ...
W.J: I arrive in Corsica. It was two years ... personally, it was complicated since we were playing maintenance. The second year, there is a change of coach, the play-offs, the penalty that I miss ... It's very special. It's a family club. Things happened that I have never seen elsewhere (laughs). The working conditions were not very professional, it was very limited. For a young person, it's okay. But for someone like me, who wanted to go higher, in terms of infrastructure, it was limited. But I don't regret anything. I spent two wonderful years there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slowpoke

Not the first and won’t be the last where an injury changed their careers pro. football is the harshest of businesses where time doesn’t and cannot stand still. Unfortunately for him his injury here changed our team set-up and from that we became the best team by a mile in division one. I hope he gets fixed up in France though lad deserves a bit of a break.

CDK

It's luck of the draw he gets injured system changes he doesn't fit the new system.it will be interesting to see how Jones fits back in.

slowpoke

It's luck of the draw he gets injured system changes he doesn't fit the new system.it will be interesting to see how Jones fits back in.
Yes he is another, I think if he gets a chance he could but again our present system doesn’t seem to suit him imo he is ideal as a sub to bring on and alter things during a game but to start ?? Frustrating for him.

harvey098

Wasn’t good enough in league 1. Kastaneer was better which tells you what you need to know. Feel sorry for anyone in his current situation (especially with a family) and hope he can rebuild his career but I’m glad it won’t be with us.

It was genuinely painful watching him not realise the defender was quicker than him but still try to kick and run past (which was about the only play he had).

AOM

Feel sorry for him, seems like a good professional and maybe he'd still be involved if we were in league one, but his injuries and the level up are probably a step too far now.
Hopefully can find a new club back in France once his contract is up

Grendel

Wasn’t good enough in league 1. Kastaneer was better which tells you what you need to know. Feel sorry for anyone in his current situation (especially with a family) and hope he can rebuild his career but I’m glad it won’t be with us.

It was genuinely painful watching him not realise the defender was quicker than him but still try to kick and run past (which was about the only play he had).

Kastaneer was better? Based on what?

better days

I feel sorry for this lad
He was a starter and doing well with us until he got his ACL but has never been able to get back to where he was
We've all been there when a boss makes a vague promise which you take as a firm commitment but I guess Wes heard what he wanted to hear when Robins talked about the system change
It must be a terrible position, in a foreign country with no prospect of playing and having your number taken off you without prior notification
Football is a ruthless business

Pete in Portugal

Yes he is another, I think if he gets a chance he could but again our present system doesn’t seem to suit him imo he is ideal as a sub to bring on and alter things during a game but to start ?? Frustrating for him.

Jones can also play in the 10 role, as well as wide. AFAIK, Jobello has not played behind the strikers.

Demule

How many times was Max told he can leave and it spurred him on to get back in, if Jobello put his head down and was good enough to force Robins hand there’s always a way back in a team, if you’re good enough that is ……

skybluegod

I feel sorry for this lad
He was a starter and doing well with us until he got his ACL but has never been able to get back to where he was
We've all been there when a boss makes a vague promise which you take as a firm commitment but I guess Wes heard what he wanted to hear when Robins talked about the system change
It must be a terrible position, in a foreign country with no prospect of playing and having your number taken off you without prior notification
Football is a ruthless business

You're right, I think he's in a position where he feels hard done by when in reality he isn't it's just his perception of the events. I don't think MR would have promised anything, he would have said, that the system could change and he'll be in with a chance if it does as long as he's fit and firing which he himself admits he hasn't really been for 2 years?

Also, if you are told 'you aren't going to play find a new club' does he really need to be explicitly told that he's losing his number? That seems pretty obvious to me?

Grendel

How many times was Max told he can leave and it spurred him on to get back in, if Jobello put his head down and was good enough to force Robins hand there’s always a way back in a team, if you’re good enough that is ……

biamou was on a 3 year deal and like jobello went on it’s expiry

SBT

We've all been there when a boss makes a vague promise which you take as a firm commitment

Have we? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not losing much sleep over the guy, it’s a brutal business and I’m sure there’s another side to the story, but the way Jobello tells it, MR comes off as unprofessional.

Grendel

Have we? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not losing much sleep over the guy, it’s a brutal business and I’m sure there’s another side to the story, but the way Jobello tells it, MR comes off as unprofessional.

Robins falls out with people (and Viveash) and it’s rare there’s a road to recovery at that point.

fatso

If he had reinvented himself as a RWB he may have had a chance, but wingers are an extinct breed here.
Jody Jones is going to have a similar problem, at the moment, his only chance of getting game time is if O'hare gets injured, even Allen has overtaken him in the pecking order, I think Jones could be on his way when his current contract expires.

better days

Read virtually any ex-player's autobiography and there will be instances like this
Jobello is obviously feeling hard done by as we all would in his situation
Robins will undoubtedly have a completely different perspective on what happened
And in fact it will be a fairly minor incident in all the things Robins has to deal with every day in running the club, it certainly wouldn't feature in any future autobiography he might release
I feel sorry for Jobello on a human level
Do I think he should be in the team?
No
But it must be very difficult for him, training with the U23s, no squad number and so far at least, no opportunity to play even in an U23 game

Grendel

That's life that's everyone. Generally don't think anyone can question Robins man management skills. Certainly not you.

it doesn’t happen everywhere and anyone can question what they like

better days

If he had reinvented himself as a RWB he may have had a chance, but wingers are an extinct breed here.
Jody Jones is going to have a similar problem, at the moment, his only chance of getting game time is if O'hare gets injured, even Allen has overtaken him in the pecking order, I think Jones could be on his way when his current contract expires.
As things stand a fair point but I think there is a feeling Jones could play in other positions, especially as he's now a lot bigger and stronger than the previous version
Time will tell

Brighton Sky Blue

Read virtually any ex-player's autobiography and there will be instances like this
Jobello is obviously feeling hard done by as we all would in his situation
Robins will undoubtedly have a completely different perspective on what happened
And in fact it will be a fairly minor incident in all the things Robins has to deal with every day in running the club, it certainly wouldn't feature in any future autobiography he might release
I feel sorry for Jobello on a human level
Do I think he should be in the team?
No
But it must be very difficult for him, training with the U23s, no squad number and so far at least, no opportunity to play even in an U23 game

How is he meant to secure a move elsewhere if he doesn’t even play for the reserves? Surely we want to expedite paths out for players we no longer need so as to get them off the books

Grendel

Both scored one goal for us. Kastaneers was better. I’m obviously being a bit flippant and I do hope he can continue a career in football.

I don’t think Jobello was that bad. Of all these weird overseas signings who looked the only one remotely like a footballer who could compete in the English leagues

Users who are viewing this thread