Jimmy hill statue moving to gosford green? (1 Viewer)

Covstu

It's apparently moving to 'overlook' the site of highfield rd.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

...wrong place.

simonregis

Jimmy Hill did so much for our club and helped the city of Coventry too. People forget his era only started 20 or so years after the war and football was a meaningful distraction from people's lives. I believe the only sensible place to put it is in the centre of town or may I be completely nutty and say in the grounds of the old cathedral.

Otis

Jimmy Hill did so much for our club and helped the city of Coventry too. People forget his era only started 20 or so years after the war and football was a meaningful distraction from people's lives. I believe the only sensible place to put it is in the centre of town or may I be completely nutty and say in the grounds of the old cathedral.

Yep! If it has to move from the Ricoh, the only place for it is in the city centre. Plenty of places for it there.

Now HR has gone I bet hardly any of us go down that way at all now. Most people go to the city centre at one time or another.

wingy

So long as its somewhere that doesn't turn into a urinal for dogs or worse drunks
That puts Gosford Green out of the equation IMO

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Wherever it is put it will generate resentment if it is not near out stadium, wherever that may be. It will become a symbol of the tearing apart of our club my our parasitic owners.

This simply says to me "Dumped / not required/ not appropriate / not necessary / move it."

Covstu

Wherever it is put it will generate resentment if it is not near out stadium, wherever that may be. It will become a symbol of the tearing apart of our club my our parasitic owners.

This simply says to me "Dumped / not required/ not appropriate / not necessary / move it."
we are talking about Cov council here......

NorthernWisdom

Possibly, but I'd rather see it as a tribute to a man who certainly had an impact on the city, so maybe if Wasps (local?!?)fans don't know who he is, we need him in a position where more can see him anyway. Like the thought of sticking him in Friargate btw.

We've got the Leamington schooled, Rugby and Lutterwoth working Frank Whittle in the centre after all, so why not Jimmy!

ccfcway

that statue 1st.

seats wont be far behind.

Oh well, good news is 2 years after they announced we are building a new stadium, we cant be far away now !

J

Jack Griffin

It is just one persons opinion, http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/move-jimmy-hill-statue-gosford-9264640

I must strongly disagree with Alan Poole’s comments regarding the Jimmy Hill statue (Telegraph, May 12).

His comparison with Stoke, Arsenal and Southampton is perplexing. Those grounds are still the homes of the teams in question. Apart from playing home games there the Ricoh has absolutely nothing to do with CCFC any more. Jimmy’s legacy did not even happen at the Ricoh.

The statue is for supporters of CCFC to respect but is currently being overlooked by a team that had absolutely nothing to do with Coventry while Jimmy was creating his legacy. Move it to Gosford Green where it can overlook where Highfield Road used to be.

Like most CCFC fans I blame Sisu for creating the situation that has led to the loss of the Ricoh and the dreadful demise of the club.

Their delaying tactics and constant litigation must have driven ACL and the city council to distraction. No wonder ACL etc. were only too happy to sell the ground to another club. But at what cost to CCFC?

We now have no ground, too many loan players, not enough team investment, disillusioned fans and the real possibility of moving away from Coventry altogether. I just hope they don’t continue true to form and let Tony Mowbray slip through their fingers as well.

In my opinion the time has come for Sisu to acknowledge that their skills do not suit running a football club, cut their losses and let someone else take over before it is too late.

simonregis

As I said before what people have to put into context is the timing of his role at the club. Many people had moved to the city from other parts of the country, and Ireland, to help rebuild the city after the war. The fans that were coming to watch the matches were first generation Coventrians so the social impact the chairman and Jimmy had on the city is something people have lost through time. If people look at it as a total football thing then I can see people apathy towards it but from a social one it help build the city. I think the only place is in the ruins of the Cathedral. It is a place of peace and Jimmy should be remebered from that standpoint because the club certainly don't.

martcov

As I said before what people have to put into context is the timing of his role at the club. Many people had moved to the city from other parts of the country, and Ireland, to help rebuild the city after the war. The fans that were coming to watch the matches were first generation Coventrians so the social impact the chairman and Jimmy had on the city is something people have lost through time. If people look at it as a total football thing then I can see people apathy towards it but from a social one it help build the city. I think the only place is in the ruins of the Cathedral. It is a place of peace and Jimmy should be remebered from that standpoint because the club certainly don't.

Agree with the sentiment entirely, but not the place - too much religion around. Maybe in the Friargate development - near the station and in a place where most people will go to at some time. Jimmy represents a good time for Coventry. A time of high wages, high employment and of optimism. Getting us promoted fitted in with this good time. In front of a Rugby stadium he seems out of place. ( If CCFC ever get back in some form of ownership or shared ownership, he should of course be returned to the Ricoh ).

Steve.B50

Wrong place.
If some supporters think that a wig and a flag are disrespectful, I believe the statue will receive a lot worse being on the Green. No one will see it, have any idea who he is and only a matter of time before its daubed in graffiti.
At least at the Ricoh if anything does appear on him it's removed quickly, personally my view is it should say where he is. It's like the memorial garden I have family there are would not be happy if that was moved either.

torchomatic

Should be the City centre. No way should it overlook a rugby stadium and be covered in franchise shit every once in a while.

torchomatic

It is. Maybe the Trust should make themselves useful for a change and try and get the statue moved to a place in the City Centre. I'm sure you could get your Freedom Of Information Dept to find out if there's a "viable" place.

Wrong place.
If some supporters think that a wig and a flag are disrespectful,.

Steve.B50

It is. Maybe the Trust should make themselves useful for a change and try and get the statue moved to a place in the City Centre. I'm sure you could get your Freedom Of Information Dept to find out if there's a "viable" place.

Firstly my comments were personal not that of the Trust, secondly you will be pleased to hear that my time on the Trust Board has to come to an end ( unless I wish to put myself forward again) in July. My own personal view is the statue should say where it is, like the view of the majority.
One final point, why don't you put yourself forward and get involved in the Trust, am sure you can keep your anonymity and be much more useful in being positive than I ever was.

torchomatic

The view of the majority want the statue to stay at the Ricoh? What view? What majority?

Maybe your views are personal and that is fair enough but due to the breathtaking 180 turn around in attitude of the Trust (as a whole) over Sixfields and the warm welcome you'v extended to Wasps and the franchise then it's very easy to get confused. I don't want to get involved in the Trust, thanks very much, I don't have the necessary qualifications: hypocrisy, exaggerated self-importance

Firstly my comments were personal not that of the Trust, secondly you will be pleased to hear that my time on the Trust Board has to come to an end ( unless I wish to put myself forward again) in July. My own personal view is the statue should say where it is, like the view of the majority.
One final point, why don't you put yourself forward and get involved in the Trust, am sure you can keep your anonymity and be much more useful in being positive than I ever was.

torchomatic

italiahorse

No, it doesn't. Where's the Brian Clough statue?

No idea and don't care.
We should be personalising the stadium and match day experience to suit CCF.C.
Played at the Ricoh in a charity match yesterday and could not believe. We have not even personalised our changing rooms.
2ef7b3e624627f5f25cad13ff4f3d740.jpg
148a6bd6c093b9c36ff02888d1dcb715.jpg

Nick

Administrator
No idea and don't care.
We should be personalising the stadium and match day experience to suit CCF.C.
Played at the Ricoh in a charity match yesterday and could not believe. We have not even personalised our changing rooms.
2ef7b3e624627f5f25cad13ff4f3d740.jpg
148a6bd6c093b9c36ff02888d1dcb715.jpg

more proof we need to get away.

skybluetony176

We have to change in the tunnel?!?

Looks like rolled out mats in the picture, I'm sure we could get some if we wanted and the same goes for the walls. Nothing stopping us getting some free standing display boards with CCFC regalia on to put in front of the wasps livery. The space looks more than wide enough.

stupot07

Looks like rolled out mats in the picture, I'm sure we could get some if we wanted and the same goes for the walls. Nothing stopping us getting some free standing display boards with CCFC regalia on to put in front of the wasps livery. The space looks more than wide enough.

I'm pretty sure that we've already explored this and asked for and been refused storage space to keep the stuff between match days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Ashdown

Free standing Tony ? Wash your mouth out ! My business is to sell Industrial wheels and castors so I'd expect large mobile wheel out paraphernalia !

stupot07

That's the players tunnel
The Ccfc dressing room is just blank walls.
No excuse really

Perhaps they removed it at the end of the season so that the changing rooms can be used multi purpose when we're not there? Isn't there only 3 changing rooms? Wasps, ours and an away room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

skybluetony176

I'm pretty sure that we've already explored this and asked for and been refused storage space to keep the stuff between match days.

Yeah, I mean it's not like companies in Coventry offer storage facilities.

Users who are viewing this thread