Jimmy Hill Lounge (1 Viewer)

asiaskyblues

Hi. First timer here. Something was bugging me and felt had to join and contribute.
I saw the picture of Jimmy Hill's son and grsndkids open the newly named lounge and felt how embarrassing it all is. We don't own the Ricoh and as far as I know JH had nothing to do with the Wasps. I'm not a person who points fingers and what has happened in the past is history but I do feel sad because until we buy the stadium from the Wasps, or the clubs are merged what is the reason behind this naming?
Wasp fans know of JH but do they care enough to accept this? Surely when they have been here a while they'll want to name things, places and rooms after their heroes.
When Wasps initially came to Coventry I was optimistic that we could all get along well, but this first situation where the owners have done something extremely commendable does have an air of 'token gesture'.
I hope Wasps fans don't take this personally because you are an amazing club with history of your own, but with this situation surely you guys can see that you are not a Coventry club and the soon we merge or you move back to London the better.

Skyblueweeman

Welcome mate. Nice topic to start...I was just thinking to myself that we've not had enough Wasps/Cov threads ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
I think it's a gesture anyway, as long as they don't try and use it as their own marketing to get people in I don't have a problem with it.

Hobo

I think it's a gesture anyway, as long as they don't try and use it as their own marketing to get people in I don't have a problem with it.

You just can't pay a full compliment can you? Yet against people critical of SISU you have a different set of values. One of most biased posters on the forum.

Nick

Administrator
You just can't pay a full compliment can you? Yet against people critical of SISU you have a different set of values. One of most biased posters on the forum.
I meant nice / good gesture. I was actually disagreeing with the op.

Strange you didn't have an issue with the op saying it was a token gesture.

jas365

Yeah, i mean god forbid someone should use marketing to sell a product.

Hobo

I meant nice / good gesture. I was actually disagreeing with the op.

Strange you didn't have an issue with the op saying it was a token gesture.

It's his first post, I am commenting on your posting history.

pusbccfc

One of the stands needs renaming, even if it is for the Coventry games only.

stupot07

One of the stands needs renaming, even if it is for the Coventry games only.

I nominate the Higgs stand, the judas's selling their share to the insects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

letsallsingtogether

I nominate the Higgs stand, the judas's selling their share to the insects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Who else could they sell to no one else offered anything for the white elephant of a ground.
Oh yes I forgot Joy said she would give them a donation as they were a charity.

stupot07

Who else could they sell to no one else offered anything for the white elephant of a ground.
Oh yes I forgot Joy said she would give them a donation as they were a charity.

Whoops.....

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-fcs-ricoh-arena-8108559

I'm not going to get into a debate and derail the thread, there are plenty of other threads discussing this.

Last edited:

torchomatic

jas365

So you think it is acceptable for the London franchise to hijack our history and exploit his memory?

It really doesn't bother me if they use Jimmy Hill's image to attract people in, no. I'd hardly call it hijacking our history. What a ridiculous thing to say.

letsallsingtogether

I don't believe that was their intention but I am challenging the poster who believes it would be fair enough if they used it to lure locals to watch them.
But locals already are many city fans go.
Saw a supporter with a Wasps top on at the City, does that make him less of a city fan at least he turned up for the game.

Users who are viewing this thread