Jeremy Kyle - murder? (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Now, while I'm not entirely sure anybody who went on that show would expect anything other than what they got, this raised a dry laugh.

Representing the family of Mr Dymond, Ms Caoilfhionn Gallagher QC read an extract from Kyle's witness statement, in which the presenter says: "I didn't behave in a goading manner at all."

I mean... did he not watch his own shows back?!?

clint van damme

I believe Noel Edmonds has offered Kyle his congratulations on joining that select band of light entertainers who've killed one of their contestants.

shmmeee

Are itv still knocking out love island? Seems some double standards if so seeing as it has multiple suicides on its hands.

Are they linked?

I imagine most reality TV stars aren’t exactly mentally stable in the first place TBF.

Skybluefaz

Are they linked?

I imagine most reality TV stars aren’t exactly mentally stable in the first place TBF.
Are what linked? mentally unstable contestants plunged into a vanity show then having the limelight removed has led to three suicides though. Why won't it happen again? Kyle had a suicide and immediately got cancelled. It just leads me to think it's a popularity decision rather than ethics.

shmmeee

Are what linked? mentally unstable contestants plunged into a vanity show then having the limelight removed has led to three suicides though. Why won't it happen again? Kyle had a suicide and immediately got cancelled. It just leads me to think it's a popularity decision rather than ethics.

I meant had they referenced the show specifically or was it a general thing about being a reality TV star. I hadn’t heard so was just curious.

The whole genre seems massively exploitative, but when it’s dirt cheap to make and massively popular I can’t see much happening.

I’m not too comfortable screening for MH as everyone handles it differently and it might be good for some people or neutral. I’d rather the entire thing was banned or there’s support for contestants as standard. Not sure what that would look like.

Skybluefaz

I meant had they referenced the show specifically or was it a general thing about being a reality TV star. I hadn’t heard so was just curious.

The whole genre seems massively exploitative, but when it’s dirt cheap to make and massively popular I can’t see much happening.

I’m not too comfortable screening for MH as everyone handles it differently and it might be good for some people or neutral. I’d rather the entire thing was banned or there’s support for contestants as standard. Not sure what that would look like.
Oh I see, I'm not too sure to be totally honest. I just don't think it's a great look for ITV.

hill83

I believe Noel Edmonds has offered Kyle his congratulations on joining that select band of light entertainers who've killed one of their contestants.

And Alan Partridge, although strictly speaking it wasn’t a contestant.

Adge

Jeremy Kyle type shows are another vile American import. Kyle was particularly bad as they'd often bring in people of obvious low intelligence to be humiliated on stage. Barbaric really and hope that c**t Kyle feels guilty about it.
Indeed-human bear baiting at its finest.

Johnnythespider

Are they linked?

So the obvious question to ask is, should we be putting people who aren't mentally stable on tv for other peoples entertainment ?

rob9872

Kyle was just a puppet, a front man. No better or worse than many in his position. In fact imo the viewers are equally culpable as is the society in which we live craving to see things go further all the time.

Easy to hate Kyle but has quite a sad back story as an ex-addict. Not making excuses for him, he has a part to play in this although I do think the media who helped put him there, the same ones who vilified him, also have a hand in this.

Tbh if I blame anyone in this, it's Micky Adams for signing him.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Kyle was just a puppet, a front man. No better or worse than many in his position. In fact imo the viewers are equally culpable as is the society in which we live craving to see things go further all the time.

Easy to hate Kyle but has quite a sad back story as an ex-addict. Not making excuses for him, he has a part to play in this although I do think the media who helped put him there, the same ones who vilified him, also have a hand in this.

But you'd think with his own problems with addiction he'd be more compassionate to those with similar issues.

I know it's largely a persona for the audience, and yes the public should take a long look at themselves for allowing this trash to grow by watching it, but he could have just told the producers to fuck off when they suggested they wanted someone to be an attack dog and exploit on those with addiction, mental health or just less intelligence.

Someone else would've of course just done it instead like Fox or hartley-brewer but that doesn't excuse him for saying yes.

ajsccfc

Love Island and similar things definitely need to do more in the way of post-show support. While some of the people signing up may know what they're getting themselves into, all of the people making these shows certainly do.

Adge

I know someone who was on the Kyle show, someone I was at school with and to be far to them the “aftercare” team that they always talk about really did try and help her with rehab/counselling etc. The problem was she threw it back in their face and went back to her old ways.
I guess sometimes despite the intervention of others you actually have to try and help yourself too.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Yeah, you'd think with the moralising after it was cancelled, that it had zero audience.

Now, it's a bit like admitting to enjoying Gary Glitter songs!

Users who are viewing this thread