James Maddison (1 Viewer)

Martin180

I know this probably won’t be a hugely popular thread but got to say he is really looking the real deal at the moment . His interview tonight on Sky sports showed a very level headed approach to the game too

Got to say I’m extremely excited by Englands options for the Euros currently and the age of the squad too . Maddison has to be a cert surely but with others like Foden, Rice , Mount , Grealish , Curtis Jones and Smith-Rowe it is an area where England are looking strong currently

Rich

He’s a smashing player and seems a cracking lad.
I don’t know if any of you follow him on Instagram, but he posted a memorial to that young girl Sophie who lost her life. He had a lot to do with her at Norwich. It struck me that a lad as young as JM, in the world where many people get carried away with themselves put that young girl front and centre.

Fair play to him, hopefully he can start becoming an England regular as he’s definitely got it in him.

clint van damme

Due to having nothing better to do I've being watching a lot of PL games recently.
In the last two rounds of games his performances have easily been the best in the entire EPL.
Another thing which I might be reading too much into but he has tried to make sure the no contact goal celebrations have been adhered to (not something to much in evidence elsewhere). To me that shows someone who listens instructions and takes them on board which I think is a sign of professionalism

PVA

He is absolutely class.

First time I saw him play was as a sub in a pre season friendly when he was, I think, 17. I knew straight away he would go right to the top, you could just tell that even at that age he was just different to everyone else on the pitch.

mrtrench

I think that's the best interview given by a footballer I have ever seen. None of the cliché-ridden monosyllabic tosh you usually get and giving viewers a real insight into what they were doing. He's already better than the ex-pro analysts paid to sit in a studio and chat.

superskyblue

What I loved about it is how insightful it was, plus how he was bouncing up and down and side to side as adrenaline still pumping through him from the game. Obviously loving his football at the moment.

Alkhen

Another thing which I might be reading too much into but he has tried to make sure the no contact goal celebrations have been adhered to (not something to much in evidence elsewhere).

Pretty sure he was taking the piss with the first one, mocking the silliness of non contact goal celebrations when you have no rules the rest of the game.

Love Maddison, hope he becomes a world star. England have such a glut of creative midfielders at the moment, going to be such a hard choice for Gareth.... *we all know he'll choose Mount regardless"

Skyblueweeman

When I saw it was over 4 mins long, I thought 'nah' but I'm pleased I did. To be honest, I think that's the first time I've heard him speak and even taking away the Coventry connection, he came across really well and seems like a decent young man.

I certainly think he's maturing well and he's got a good manager in Brodge to keep taking him to the next level.

#jm10

Saddlebrains

Know his old man from playing football down Stoke Green around 8-10years back. James used to attend regularly also, and still speaks to us from them days if ever we bump into him.

He's been helped keeping his feet firmly on the ground by his dad, great bloke and a lovely family. His dad was a cracking player also, got a bad injury and never made it pro however. Always happy to see him do well

Reactions: vow

Magwitch

He is a football person and over the years put hours into extra training learning, and honing his abilities an example to any wanna a be youngster.

Adge

Obsessed springs to mind. Who gives a monkeys-all I’m bothered about is we lost 3-0 last night.

Alkhen

Obsessed springs to mind. Who gives a monkeys-all I’m bothered about is we lost 3-0 last night.
Boring 😴

Have you ever seen that Ricky Gervais bit about the person that rings the number on Guitar for sale advert to scream that they 'don't want a fucking guitar'?! This is you. If you aren't interested move on and shut up.

You only comment on these sort of threads to prove you are some sort of perfect Sky Blue purist. Soon as a player has moved on they are dead to you. 👏Tedious.. Do you want a medal or something?

Last edited:

Adge

You carry on with your obsession and the majority of us will concentrate on Coventry City instead 👍

Alkhen

You carry on with your obsession and the majority of us will concentrate on Coventry City instead 👍

giphy.gif

#hero

LastGarrison

He’s a Cally lad so of course he is going to be sound. :cool:

I remember chatting to my mate after Chesterfield away a few years ago who was his PE teacher and coached the football team and he said what a top lad he was and how level headed he was even back then.

Personally, I like to see anyone from Cov being successful.

ccfc1234

I know this probably won’t be a hugely popular thread but got to say he is really looking the real deal at the moment . His interview tonight on Sky sports showed a very level headed approach to the game too

Got to say I’m extremely excited by Englands options for the Euros currently and the age of the squad too . Maddison has to be a cert surely but with others like Foden, Rice , Mount , Grealish , Curtis Jones and Smith-Rowe it is an area where England are looking strong currently
Mount is keeping him out the team as it seems Southgate has some disproportionate affection for his ability. Lampard is the same. He must train like a warrior and be everyone's best mate. He is decent, but in my view some way off the ability of others.

Frostie

Mount is keeping him out the team as it seems Southgate has some disproportionate affection for his ability. Lampard is the same. He must train like a warrior and be everyone's best mate. He is decent, but in my view some way off the ability of others.

Mount is excellent & has probably been Chelsea's best player this season.

He gets a ridiculous amount of bad press just because he's not the more fashionable, attacking player like Grealish or Maddison.
Not sure why he's even brought into the conversation time & again, it shouldn't be an either/or, he can play the 8 with Maddison and/or Grealish further forward. He's a very good player who deserves his spot.

JulianDarbyFTW

I don't get all the fuss about Mount tbh. If he played for a different team, he wouldn't be picked. Like when Cleverly got caps because he played for Man Utd. Southgate made a big thing about picking players on form when he got the job, and then after the first 6 months just reverted to type and picks players based on press pressure and reputation. He doesn't play to win, he plays to not lose. It's why England won't win a trophy.

Back to Maddison, he won't get the number of caps he deserves - Southgate loves the 3 up top, and he finds it hard to fit attacking midfielders into that formation.

Fergusons_Beard

He’s a Cally lad so of course he is going to be sound. :cool:

I remember chatting to my mate after Chesterfield away a few years ago who was his PE teacher and coached the football team and he said what a top lad he was and how level headed he was even back then.

Personally, I like to see anyone from Cov being successful.

Was that the game where he scored that amazing free kick in front of the away end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Magwitch

I don't get all the fuss about Mount tbh. If he played for a different team, he wouldn't be picked. Like when Cleverly got caps because he played for Man Utd. Southgate made a big thing about picking players on form when he got the job, and then after the first 6 months just reverted to type and picks players based on press pressure and reputation. He doesn't play to win, he plays to not lose. It's why England won't win a trophy.

Back to Maddison, he won't get the number of caps he deserves - Southgate loves the 3 up top, and he finds it hard to fit attacking midfielders into that formation.
Not a Londoner either.

LastGarrison

Was that the game where he scored that amazing free kick in front of the away end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My memory is horrendous and all I could remember was it was between Christmas and New Year and that before the game we were drinking in a pub up a hill not far from the ground and when you came out there was a burnt out car outside a house over the road.

Just googled it and found the highlights on YouTube and yes you’re right an absolute peach!

ccfc1234

Mount is excellent & has probably been Chelsea's best player this season.

He gets a ridiculous amount of bad press just because he's not the more fashionable, attacking player like Grealish or Maddison.
Not sure why he's even brought into the conversation time & again, it shouldn't be an either/or, he can play the 8 with Maddison and/or Grealish further forward. He's a very good player who deserves his spot.
Not sure how many Chelsea games you have watched live this season, Frostie? But my Chelsea supporting friends cannot belive how poor mount has been in the last few months. I am not going to claim to be an authority on Mount but I am struggling to reconcile the vastly differing views of Chelsea season ticket holders thinking he is has significant limitations and a Cov fan declaring Mount as the Chelsea player of the season!!
Do agree it's not either or from an England perspective.

Frostie

Not sure how many Chelsea games you have watched live this season, Frostie? But my Chelsea supporting friends cannot belive how poor mount has been in the last few months. I am not going to claim to be an authority on Mount but I am struggling to reconcile the vastly differing views of Chelsea season ticket holders thinking he is has significant limitations and a Cov fan declaring Mount as the Chelsea player of the season!!
Do agree it's not either or from an England perspective.

Quite a few & I have a Chelsea season ticket holding mate who loves him too. I know he's a player that divides opinion even among their own fanbase though.
A lot of what he does are the unseen qualities (much like Ben Sheaf for us). His work off the ball is absolutely elite & he's a lot more creative than he's given credit for.

This is a decent article on him too

He's not the finished article but he's already keeping much more senior (& costly) players out of the Chelsea team & only turned 22 a couple of weeks ago.

ccfc1234

Quite a few & I have a Chelsea season ticket holding mate who loves him too. I know he's a player that divides opinion even among their own fanbase though.
A lot of what he does are the unseen qualities (much like Ben Sheaf for us). His work off the ball is absolutely elite & he's a lot more creative than he's given credit for.

This is a decent article on him too

He's not the finished article but he's already keeping much more senior (& costly) players out of the Chelsea team & only turned 22 a couple of weeks ago.

Agree, he is either over rated or over hated and not much inbetween.

Dont want to get into a long debate on him but have a look at Premier League Player Stats - Goals

Seems for Chelsea he has had their 2nd most shots 35 after Werner and i have linked to his goal return.
At 22 he still has the time to improve but I worry for him if his loyal mentor gets sacked as I have a suspicion the next manager would move him down the pecking order.

Frostie

Agree, he is either over rated or over hated and not much inbetween.

Dont want to get into a long debate on him but have a look at Premier League Player Stats - Goals

Seems for Chelsea he has had their 2nd most shots 35 after Werner and i have linked to his goal return.
At 22 he still has the time to improve but I worry for him if his loyal mentor gets sacked as I have a suspicion the next manager would move him down the pecking order.

Goalscoring is definitely his main weakness at the moment but plenty of time to improve that.

I think you might be surprised if Lampard does get the sack that Mount will still be a key player. The high press is king for the top sides & there's none better at it than Mount.
Don't forget Chelsea signed the likes of Ziyech & Havertz for mega money yet he's comfortably established himself ahead of them.

covcity4life

So many people from cov who have crossed paths eith him have told me he as prick in real life which is a shame if true

Users who are viewing this thread