Jail sentences (1 Viewer)

Macca

TOWIE star's ex Arthur Collins gets 25 years for acid attack

Now first of all I have no sympathy for this cock womble. However there seems to be massive inconsistencies in jail sentences. 25 years for this and that's fine but then you see less than 10 years for manslaughter when people have battered people to death claiming "didn't mean to kill him guv"

Otis

Now first of all I have no sympathy for this cock womble. However there seems to be massive inconsistencies in jail sentences. 25 years for this and that's fine but then you see less than 10 years for manslaughter when people have battered people to death claiming "didn't mean to kill him guv"
Yeah, it's a weird one. I've seen just a few measly years for rape and yet the other day on TV they covered an insurance fraud where a car (part of the plan) bumped into the back of the bus and barely touched it but a number of people (all in the scam together) claimed damages and injury.

The ring leader of that scam got 7 years in jail.

covmark

Agreed. Seems excessive compared to other sentences for worse crimes.
You could run someone over pissed up and get less than half that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

That's some sentence but will he do 25 years ? Unless the judge recommended he do it all he'll do half. But you're right sentences are unfair in many cases. I've done time myself many years ago, and been banged up with inmates doing 10 years for nicking money from post office robberies, while hearing about perverts doing a year for assaulting kids.

pastythegreat

Completely agree. The system is so inconsistent it's a joke. Yes this scrum bag has been made an example of and rightly so. It's bad enough to throw acid on somebody in revenge but to injure a further 15 people in the cross fire, the blokes a c**t and deserves everything coming to him. But then you get nonces getting suspended sentences whilst another guy dies in prison halfway through a 12month stretch for leaving a bacon sandwich outside a mosque! I agree not all cases are identical and it's not a black and white scenario kind of job being a judge but how can things be so different.

One of my biggest bug bears if hit and run laws. So many more people would survive being run over if the person that ran them over stayed at the scene and called an ambulance. But with a few beers in them, they panick and run. Why? Because for drink driving you're looking at 12months in prison, hit and run? 6months. Might as well do one and hand yourself in tomorrow when you're sober. Hasn't helped the bloke lying in a gutter on his own all night though has it? He'd of survived if you'd of stopped!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Marty

Some sentences are a joke. Disfiguring someone should come with a life sentence. I'd rather be killed then my face burnt off and have to go through all those surgery's, plus all the mental damage it does. You're permanently walking round with horrific injuries, imagine going out and just have everyone staring. It must be horrible.

CCFCSteve

Some sentences are a joke. Disfiguring someone should come with a life sentence. I'd rather be killed then my face burnt off and have to go through all those surgery's, plus all the mental damage it does. You're permanently walking round with horrific injuries, imagine going out and just have everyone staring. It must be horrible.

Agree Marty, it was a horrific act. This sentence is probably correct for the damage to innocents, lack of remorse etc. Courts need to dissuade acid acts and fast !

Some of the other sentences are a joke (remember baby p)

skybluetony176

I read it that he got sentenced to 20 years with an extra 5 years on license. Meaning he’ll serve 10 years if he behaves himself and then be on license for 15 years after that. Considering he injured 22 people indiscriminately, showed no remorse and has a string of previous I’d say it’s fair.

covmark

I read it that he got sentenced to 20 years with an extra 5 years on license. Meaning he’ll serve 10 years if he behaves himself and then be on license for 15 years after that. Considering he injured 22 people indiscriminately, showed no remorse and has a string of previous I’d say it’s fair.
It was 14 people, not 22. He was done for 5 counts of Gbh with intent and 9 counts of assault. Abhorrent crime, no doubt. Excessive compared to other crimes? I think so.

wingy

It was 14 people, not 22. He was done for 5 counts of Gbh with intent and 9 counts of assault. Abhorrent crime, no doubt. Excessive compared to other crimes? I think so.

Not sure from what I've seen so far how extensive the damage done to victims in this case is.
But in the case of serious facial disfigurment like honour /Revenge attacks feel as serious as murder to me as the prospect of a full engaged life is stolen away.

SAJ

Excessive, Gbh with intent carries life sentence, gbh 5 years. If we assume life is 25 yrs then his max sentence, if consecutively would have been 175 yrs. He has only got less than 15% of that.

covmark

Excessive, Gbh with intent carries life sentence, gbh 5 years. If we assume life is 25 yrs then his max sentence, if consecutively would have been 175 yrs. He has only got less than 15% of that.
Read what I wrote. Excessive compared to other crimes. I'd say fiddling with children is worse than what this fella did, yet sentences are far more lenient.
What the guy did is awful and he deserves what he gets. However, worse crimes are committed with far less punishment.

Users who are viewing this thread