Jack Grimmer (1 Viewer)

higgs

Last season in the team of the year in league two scores a worldy in the playoff final what did he do wrong to be dropped?

Surely the right back spot was his to lose if he had a few bad performances this season then sterling could have come into the team.

He must be seriously pissed off with the situation is there an agreement with Chelsea that sterling will play a guaranteed number of games regardless of performance?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Magwitch

But lots on here slag him ! I agree with you he’s been a bit unlucky to lose his spot but that’s football, personally having watched him twice at the moment I don’t think Sterling is quite ready yet for a regular spot.

Last edited:

speedie87

I think they are just giving him a extra rest. He played nearly every game last season, we didn’t have much of break for per season , sterling had been playing regulary pre season and should have been up to speed. He’ll be back in team in next couple of weeks.

If not he and I will be pissed off!!

pusbccfc

Baffles me how he isn't playing.

Skybluefaz

He did take a lot of criticism for his final ball going forward and his defensive performances sometimes. Robins clearly thinks he's improving the squad and there is no room for romantically keeping him in because he scored in the play off final. That said, I do think Grimmer can go up a notch and he's definitely worth a chance of claiming that spot for himself. See how he gets on against Oxford I guess.

Terry Gibson's perm

Maybe the terms of the deal say that Sterling has to start and if he doesn’t we have to pay more of his wages.

CV22SBA

Like others are saying it’s either he’s been given extra rest or we have some sort of deal on game time with Chelsea. Personally I think Sterling looks really inexperienced and would much rather Grimmer played.

Grendel

Maybe the terms of the deal say that Sterling has to start and if he doesn’t we have to pay more of his wages.

It’s very unlikely. Those arrangements happen for short term deals not season long ones.

ladywoodskyblue

I'm certain that Coventry would have at least stated that Sterling would be a first team regular. If Sterling wasnt playing for us I think he could be recalled. We haven't seen Sterling anywhere near his best yet. I've watched a lot of the games he has played at Chelsea youth and England youth as I lived with a Chelsea fan. I do feel sorry for Grimmer, I was close to the bench yesterday and I could see on his face he isn't very happy being benched. Wouldn't surprise me if he asked to leave on loan if he isn't going to start any games and will then just leave for a free at the end of the season.

Esoterica

But lots on here slag him ! I agree with you he’s been a bit unlucky to lose his spot but that’s football, personally having watched him twice at the moment I don’t think Sterling is quite ready yet for a regular spot.
Never have understood the slagging off he gets, yes he isn’t Maldini defensively... but always gives his all and actually gets forward quite effectively. Grimmer > Sterling for me.
Never seen Grimmer get a slagging off on here ever. Every player has weaknesses at this level though. Discussing those weaknesses on a football forum doesn't equate to a slagging off. He got beaten around the outside too easily last year on many occasions, I can see why Robins felt the need to bring in another right back in a division where players are visibly quicker and stronger. Sterling's had a couple of goes now though and looked no better. Time for Jack to take his chance at Oxford on Tuesday and get his place back for Argyle.

AJB1983

Have to say I was extremely surprised when he didn’t start in the Scunthorpe game.
Sterling didn’t do anything that made me go ‘wow’.
We’ll see...it’s all about competition for places isn’t it and keep them hungry.

Take Liam Kelly, signs a new deal in summer and even he ain’t in the team. It’s one of those isn’t it - squad has been strengthened and the first eleven will take a while to come together - so players who were key last year won’t be as key this.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I suspect it is a Murphy type loan thing where he has to play a certain amount of games. We will find out in weeks to come I would guess.

If the squad imbalance is one thing, the potential loss of team spirit by dismantling the team from last year is something else that concerns me. I can't see any reason why Grimmer was dropped.

Perryccfc

I know Prem clubs fine teams if they don’t play there loan players a certain amount of games. Not sure if that has something to do with it. But I have to agree I don’t think Grimmer deserved to lose his place.

Grendel

I suspect it is a Murphy type loan thing where he has to play a certain amount of games. We will find out in weeks to come I would guess.

If the squad imbalance is one thing, the potential loss of team spirit by dismantling the team from last year is something else that concerns me. I can't see any reason why Grimmer was dropped.

Where is the evidence we had to play Murphy every week?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Where is the evidence we had to play Murphy every week?

Nothing was ever revealed, but how else would the worst player on the pitch for 5 games in a row per time still get selected like that?

At the time is was quite openly talked about, but since then the positives have been more focused on and stuff like that have been forgotten about.

Grendel

Nothing was ever revealed, but how else would the worst player on the pitch for 5 games in a row per time still get selected like that?

At the time is was quite openly talked about, but since then the positives have been more focused on and stuff like that have been forgotten about.

Ah made it up then

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Ah made it up then

Not really.

Either you have a short memory or you're just deliberately choosing to ignore that this was talked about significantly when he was here.

It's also pretty commonly spoken about throughout the footballing world that loan players sometimes come with playing time clauses.

As I said anyway, it is just a suspicion, not fact. Exactly like it could be with Sterling.

Terry Gibson's perm

The same bloke that was sold for millions last year.

Nonleagueherewecome

It does seem to be a case of rip it up and start again when we had a great platform and way of playing that worked. I suppose the big factors in doing so are no McNulty and Andreu being fit, but I'm not sure what the likes of Grimmer and Shipley did to be dropped.

Skybluefaz

We might have had a manager that could see, like many other did, that Jacob Murphy was capable of doing things that not many other players could do and he kept faith in him. Like Robins with McNulty last season. Utter tripe to suggest we had to play Murphy.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We might have had a manager that could see, like many other did, that Jacob Murphy was capable of doing things that not many other players could do and he kept faith in him. Like Robins with McNulty last season. Utter tripe to suggest we had to play Murphy.

It's not tripe at all. Even when McNulty wasn't scoring early he still made things happen and got involved. The polar opposite of not making an effort and being the worst player on the pitch for five games in a row.

It was fairly widely acknowledged on here that he probably had something in his contract.

Grendel

Not really.

Either you have a short memory or you're just deliberately choosing to ignore that this was talked about significantly when he was here.

It's also pretty commonly spoken about throughout the footballing world that loan players sometimes come with playing time clauses.

As I said anyway, it is just a suspicion, not fact. Exactly like it could be with Sterling.

There are clauses for monthly contracts and other short term deals. You may have talked about it in your frenzy about Murphy but I can’t recall anyone agreeing with you

Grendel

It's not tripe at all. Even when McNulty wasn't scoring early he still made things happen and got involved. The polar opposite of not making an effort and being the worst player on the pitch for five games in a row.

It was fairly widely acknowledged on here that he probably had something in his contract.

Widely acknowledged?

Evidence?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

There are clauses for monthly contracts and other short term deals. You may have talked about it in your frenzy about Murphy but I can’t recall anyone agreeing with you

You mean you're deliberately attributing it to me because it suits your argument now? Many people said the same.

For someone who is such a know it all, the inability to comprehend some parent clubs ensure clauses are put in their players contrats when they go on loan is quite baffling.

Grendel

Go and find Bernards Watch and go back to 15/16. You're telling me these clauses don't exist?

There is zero evidence they exist now for Sterling if for Murphy. Most people still felt he was worth a place in the team as the whole team struggled not just him.

Grendel

You mean you're deliberately attributing it to me because it suits your argument now? Many people said the same.

For someone who is such a know it all, the inability to comprehend some parent clubs ensure clauses are put in their players contrats when they go on loan is quite baffling.

Who are these many people?

Irish Sky Blue

As he was one of our best and most effective players that season it would never have had to be enforced.Why leave out one of your best players. You bring up your dislike of him at every possible occasion. Maybe time to let it go.

BackRoomRummermill

If Sterling is shite he will get sent back, he is on loan , it’s up to the player to make an impression . That is the only clause , no conspiracy . A lot of stuff on here made up

Nick

Administrator
Murphy pissed me off. Mainly because you knew he had it when he wanted to and then others he would stand with his hands on his hips.

It was quite funny watch people nearly have heart attacks shouting at him, they rarely made any sense.

Users who are viewing this thread