Its a Mans League (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

The following is an extract from an article today in Swindon advertiser quoting Flitcroft.

“You look at what Gareth has built over a length of time and he has got real men in his team. There are no projects, there are no young players, it’s a case of real men to do men’s jobs,” said Flitcroft.

“I keep saying it but League Two is a man’s world and that is what Gareth has been able to build.

“I think that Luton have tried to go with youth and projects over a couple of years but now they have just got absolute men in with experience to try to get out of this league. Notts County have done the same thing.

Now firstly I don't rate Flitcroft that highly at all, but:

It talks and makes a lot of sense? thought id put it out there.

As last year we definitely had way too many kids (even though they are very talented). Are we again over relying on kids albeit to a lesser extent. Also lesser experienced players (like Biamou) who although isn't young is inexperienced.

Very interesting, and I think if we don't get promoted this season. This is the way to go next year!

Nick

Administrator
We brought in a fair few with experience of getting us out of the league.

I don't just think it's the players themselves, it's the tricks, the systems played and just generally keeping it simple and playing to strengths.

Saying that though, without Doyle and Grimmer I can't think of anybody who would go over to get stuck in if it kicked off. JCH does remind me of the monk from Football Factory though when he comes on but even then he isn't a veteran like Doyle.

fernandopartridge

The following is an extract from an article today in Swindon advertiser quoting Flitcroft.

“You look at what Gareth has built over a length of time and he has got real men in his team. There are no projects, there are no young players, it’s a case of real men to do men’s jobs,” said Flitcroft.

“I keep saying it but League Two is a man’s world and that is what Gareth has been able to build.

“I think that Luton have tried to go with youth and projects over a couple of years but now they have just got absolute men in with experience to try to get out of this league. Notts County have done the same thing.

As last year we definitely had way too many kids (even though they are very talented). Are we again over relying on kids albeit to a lesser extent. Also lesser experienced players (like Biamou) who although isn't young is inexperienced.

Very interesting, and I think if we don't get promoted this season. This is the way to go next year!

We're only relying on kids due to injuries. That said, people were moaning about having the experienced Doyle and Kelly playing together.

Londonccfcfan

We brought in a fair few with experience of getting us out of the league.

I don't just think it's the players themselves, it's the tricks, the systems played and just generally keeping it simple and playing to strengths.

Saying that though, without Doyle and Grimmer I can't think of anybody who would go over to get stuck in if it kicked off. JCH does remind me of the monk from Football Factory though when he comes on but even then he isn't a veteran like Doyle.
the loan signings in this window have been powder puff, kids also.

I hope MR learns his lessons like the other teams have including Luton, Notts County, Wycombe, Swindon, and Mansfield have.

The policy looking back now looks obvious , but also thi smay be because we have such a good academy that we just throw the kids in.

I'm afraid we need to learn these lessons and fast.

Dissapointed we havnt signed these good old pros and I don't mean the 34/35 has beens looking for last pay packet.

Dissapointed we didn't go all out for Marc Richards and Tom Pope , these are real fucking men! instead of offering derisory bids of 25k ! hoping to lure top quality proven goalscorers at this level.

Nick

Administrator
Average age of squads:
Wycombe: 28
Luton 24.8
Coventry 23.8

We have the second youngest squad in the league but the second biggest

That can be a bit misleading though, as doesn't that bring in all of the academy players like Camwell, Hickman, Ponticelli, Finn, Maycock, Thompson, Sayoud.

Have looked but couldn't find an average first 11 age (and was too lazy) to see what it would be then. Wycombe's youngest player listed that isn't on loan is 21.

When you think our first choice 11 at the start of the season would probably be

Burge (25)

Grimmer (24) Willis (23) McDonald (25) Stokes (26)

Jones (20) Kelly (28) Doyle (36) Andreu? (29)

McNulty (25) Biamou (27)

That's not actually that young.

That's without O'Brien, Vincenti, Beavon, Davies who barring Beavon would all be in and around the squad too and aren't kids.

It's mainly Bayliss now who has stepped in at 18, DKEs who are about 21 and Shipley who has played a lot that is 20.

Londonccfcfan

Average age of squads:
Wycombe: 28
Luton 24.8
Coventry 23.8

We have the second youngest squad in the league but the second biggest

Interesting stat, look its not all about age for Example, imo Willis is best Centre back in this league (imo) but hes young with lots of experience! with kids the physicality/games catch up on you.

Its a mans league ! even more so than League 1, but Robins knew that!

Londonccfcfan

That can be a bit misleading though, as doesn't that bring in all of the academy players like Camwell, Hickman, Ponticelli, Finn, Maycock, Thompson, Sayoud.

Have looked but couldn't find an average first 11 age (and was too lazy) to see what it would be then. Wycombe's youngest player listed that isn't on loan is 21.

When you think our first choice 11 at the start of the season would probably be

Burge (25)

Grimmer (24) Willis (23) McDonald (25) Stokes (26)

Jones (20) Kelly (28) Doyle (36) Andreu? (29)

McNulty (25) Biamou (27)

That's not actually that young.

Yes totally agree with you for a once. also even the youngsters in that team have appearances close to 100.

I think its the back up, Both the DKE twins are just not good enough in this league they have shortcomings no pun intended! they both played a lot of games.
Haynes, Maycock, JP, Stevenson, Barrat, JMD, just too lightweight.

Nick

Administrator
I don't think Maycock can really be counted too much, he has only come on for a couple of cup Cameos.

Dion KE did well a lot of the time in League 1 last season but just hasn't looked up to it at all this season when he has come in.

We have needed a bit more "muscle" at times and a bit more bite to get into teams, I've seen it so many times this season where the opposition will target Doyle and just hammer him from start to finish. He's been punched in the head as well (Cheltenham maybe?)

That's not so much age, JCH is only young but can't really see a defender bullying him like Stevenson would have been bullied.

coop

I agree with this as it always seems to be men against boys just look at how DKE played Saturday awful and no chance a lot like Grimmer to a certain extent. I also think pace up front will get you out of this league.

Londonccfcfan

Accrington Stanley was definitely men against boys.

Just think Robins could have learned a lot from the way the other teams in top 8 and I include Lincoln how they have built their squads.

We are usually the smallest of the two teams out on pitch.

skybluetony176

Hardly news this is a mans league. Big part of the reason it’s difficult to get out of.

Biggest wimp who’s played for us this season is the Duck. Thought he was going to start crying when Robins wouldn’t sub him. Talented player with bags of potential but frightened of getting tackled, not a good quality for a league two player as you get tackled and then some in this league. In stark contrast the DKE twins seem to love a tear up despite their stature, especially Dion from what I’ve seen of him.

I think that’s what meant by a mans league. It’s not a statement of age, it’s a statement of being tough enough to hack the physical aspect of league two.

Londonccfcfan

Hardly news this is a mans league. Big part of the reason it’s difficult to get out of.

Biggest wimp who’s played for us this season is the Duck. Thought he was going to start crying when Robins wouldn’t sub him. Talented player with bags of potential but frightened of getting tackled, not a good quality for a league two player as you get tackled and then some in this league. In stark contrast the DKE twins seem to love a tear up despite their stature, especially Dion from what I’ve seen of him.

I think that’s what meant by a mans league. It’s not a statement of age, it’s a statement of being tough enough to hack the physical aspect of league two.

A good point. your talking about mentality too. but the point Flitcroft was making is that teams have gone down route of some kids. it just doesn't usually work.

BTW Cowley got rid of JMD very sharpish. look at their team, look at most teams even wingers are big lads.

Nazon is another one Not hard working and plain lazy.

Terry Gibson's perm

The squad is too big and filled with too many players that don’t get used like Maycock (20 years old four games) he is behind Bayliss an 18 year old so get rid, we have three goalkeepers I bet not many other clubs do.

I would rather have gone with a smaller squad of getter players backed up by the youth lot. We have three left backs . All of these players on £500 per week plus add up why have Sayoud here he is a winger I think but gets nowhere near the first team even when we are short of width

skybluetony176

A good point. your talking about mentality too. but the point Flitcroft was making is that teams have gone down route of some kids. it just doesn't usually work.

BTW Cowley got rid of JMD very sharpish. look at their team, look at most teams even wingers are big lads.

Nazon is another one Not hard working and plain lazy.
Like you say with the kids it can come back to mentality and self confidence too, it’s always the least self confidence people that get bullied and that is something that can be a trait of youth. Certainly was for me. Not always though as in DKE’s cases but stature for them can allow them to be bullied physically even if they can take it mentally. Shame they’re not both a foot taller.

Nick

Administrator
Also worth noting both wycome and lincoln have a gameplan and style of play. Rhead and akinfenwa aren't both sprinting back to the half way line to win a flick on into an area where there is 5 defenders and 1 fellow striker.

They play to their strengths.

Adge

That’s interesting reading and reiterates my point that I have been going on about for the last couple of years. Too many (inadequate) academy players in a “mans league”.

SlowerThanPlatt

That’s interesting reading and reiterates my point that I have been going on about for the last couple of years. Too many (inadequate) academy players in a “mans league”.

What’s the reason for all the other years then we have been unsuccessful and nearly always finished in the bottom half?

Adge

Players (academy players included) not being good enough/consistent enough because of a lack of budget/investment.

Otis

Accrington Stanley was definitely men against boys.

Just think Robins could have learned a lot from the way the other teams in top 8 and I include Lincoln how they have built their squads.

We are usually the smallest of the two teams out on pitch.
That is so true. I see teams up here and their players look like man mountains next to ours.

Otis

Yes totally agree with you for a once. also even the youngsters in that team have appearances close to 100.

I think its the back up, Both the DKE twins are just not good enough in this league they have shortcomings no pun intended! they both played a lot of games.
Haynes, Maycock, JP, Stevenson, Barrat, JMD, just too lightweight.
Everyone agrees with Nick once at some point.

You throw enough shit about and some of it is going to stick eventually.

Otis

That is so true. I see teams up here and their players look like man mountains next to ours.
Has anyone else come across an opposition defender the same size as DKE? Even just 3 or 4 inches taller?

Cov kid 55

I think it was a spot on article, last year we were totally found out in league 1 by playing a very young and inexperienced team, just got bullied out of it most weeks. We have much more experience this year, and it’s showed over most of the season. I think what Flitcroft is also saying is that it’s a really tough league to play in, and even harder to get out of. We do see posts on here which disrespect opposition teams like Accrington and FGR (pub teams etc) and generally position the league as poor (polite word instead of the usual description). It’s not like that at all, it’s a tough, competitive league where organisation and aggression often make up for any lack of quality.

steve82

the loan signings in this window have been powder puff, kids also.

I hope MR learns his lessons like the other teams have including Luton, Notts County, Wycombe, Swindon, and Mansfield have.

The policy looking back now looks obvious , but also thi smay be because we have such a good academy that we just throw the kids in.

I'm afraid we need to learn these lessons and fast.

Dissapointed we havnt signed these good old pros and I don't mean the 34/35 has beens looking for last pay packet.

Dissapointed we didn't go all out for Marc Richards and Tom Pope , these are real fucking men! instead of offering derisory bids of 25k ! hoping to lure top quality proven goalscorers at this level.

I said this since last May all summer it's a tough mans league, it's ugly an brutal!! Bullies win in this league and goals get you out.

I recall suggesting Tom Pope last January and in the summer before I think it was and again early this summer... the very suggestion was met with utter disgust on here.
We've fans that think we above the league and types of players and possibly rightly so but this is where we are and have to go to war with.

Can you imagine if we signed Craig Makael-Smith and Tom Pope last summer this place would of been in meltdown!

Having said that we'd of been hammering them now as we've not the players in the squad to set up to play to there strengths.

Going forwards I do think MR will change the approach in recruitment this summer with some older heads that know the league to push our own kids back in the selection order but it's for the best to let them grow.

For too long we've had to use the kids who are not yet quite "broke in" and L2 isn't the stage for that

Last edited:

_brian_

Has anyone else come across an opposition defender the same size as DKE? Even just 3 or 4 inches taller?
Oo-er missus! LOL!!! Bit rude that!*

*Only if you get sexual innuendos like I do! Otherwise you'll be wondering what the heck I'm on about! LOL!

SlowerThanPlatt

I’m a bit confused about all this? Our most selected team this season youngest player is 19 and then 23. Where all these kids people are mentioning?

Burge

Grimmer Willis McDonald Stokes

Kelly Doyle

Vincenti/Shipley Jones

Biamou McNulty

Our team is full of all these older professionals and ‘who know the league’ players people want us to sign every season yet we’re still off the pace? I do like Robins as a manager and think he may turn it around but to suggest he doesn’t have experience in his squad is untrue, he’s had to play the likes of Shipley because Vincenti hasn’t been good enough, that was Robins own signing

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
You will usually find they probably couldn't tell you who our players are when they shout about playing kids.

Londonccfcfan

I’m a bit confused about all this? Our most selected team this season youngest player is 19 and then 23. Where all these kids people are mentioning?

Burge

Grimmer Willis McDonald Stokes

Kelly Doyle

Vincenti/Shipley Jones

Biamou McNulty

Our team is full of all these older professionals and ‘who know the league’ players people want us to sign every season yet we’re still off the pace? I do like Robins as a manager and think he may turn it around but to suggest he doesn’t have experience in his squad is untrue, he’s had to play the likes of Shipley because Vincenti hasn’t been good enough, that was Robins own signing

Was it not you who quoted average age of our team 23.8? That's very young.

Id say theres three players that know this league: Doyle/Kelly/Vincenti and possibly Mcnulty.

All I'm doing is quoting what Flitcroft has said. and he generally is following the League two blueprint followed by the other top teams.

Valid points all that, but I think the most played team you mention above, would still be Height wise the smallest. That team has generally not been the problem.

Other teams just seem to have 8/9/10 bruts on the pitch. With Bruts coming off the bench too.

We have had recently - DKE twins/Haynes/Hyam/JP/Beavon/JMD/Barrat/Stevenson or a combination of them on the bench. Not one of them could bully a schoolkid! never mind a man.
Powder puff and completely lightweight.

Our problem has been Having DKE Twins coming on as sub or Hyam and or starting. Recently our two of our three loan signings are not what id call men, young/inexperienced

Theres a direct correlation why we don't score headers or from set pieces if there was stats id put my house on it we would be the lowest in the league or whole football league!

Earlier on in season we had Nazon and McNulty and Jones as our direct attacking most players. they arnt going to win any headers neither are they that strong.

Londonccfcfan

Referees at this level are a lot more lenient and let a lot more physicality go, gos hand in hand with lack of skill level at this level.

Apart from that Rod McDonald soft foul for penalty the other day.

Adge

Referees at this level are a lot more lenient and let a lot more physicality go, gos hand in hand with lack of skill level at this level.

Apart from that Rod McDonald soft foul for penalty the other day.
Soft boiled egg or hard boiled egg is still a boiled egg.

Users who are viewing this thread