Is there a moment in the past that you would like to go back to and do it differently (1 Viewer)

The Reverend Skyblue

This moment plays on my mind all the time.
When i was 17 i was playing football for a side from Milton Keynes in a mini tournament in Marlow.Any way I had a couple of games where i played really well,it did'nt happen often,and while i was sitting down between games a bloke came up and introduced himself as someone who helps run Tottenham's youth set up.We got talking and he said he would like me to go for a trial and could i give him my name and details.
I said i'll come over to him after the next game to give him the details as we were due to go back on for the next game.
I'm totally different now, but back then i was a cocky little shit, and thought that No i won't go back to him, but he'll come back and find me. We got knocked out the next game, but still i did'nt go,instead me and the team hit the beer tent. Guess what,he did'nt try and find me again, and he must have thought what an unpolite,arrogant rude twot i was for not returning to him, and he left before i could find him.
This moment haunts me to this day as back then a pint of lager and a laugh with so called mates were obviously more important to me than his offer.
From then on, apart from two seasons being semi semi professional with my local team in the United Counties League, the social side of sport got even more important and i never ever got near to the level i did before and i carried on for the reat of my sporting life mostly turning up for games hungover from the night before.
What really hurts is these so called mates i called my friends and who I spent years with, never were friends at all, as the one moment i needed them they let me down.This happened after a bad accident to my back when I nearly severed my spine and I spent nearly 18 months in various hospitals around the country, undergoing countless operations trying to fix or help the problem, but not one of these friends came to see me once in hospital ,or at home when i was recovering.
If i could have this one moment back and have seen my friends then as i do now, i would have said fook them, and found this bloke would my life have been different.
I'm not saying i was a really good footballer ,i was'nt, but I just wish i handled the above moment differently.
My question to others is, do they have a moment in life they wish they could go back to and do it differently ?

The Rev

Last edited:
Yes Rev I had a moment like that back in 1963 when I was 20.

I had just sold my Triumph motorcycle on the Wednesday as a deposit for my first (but very ancient) car for which I was to pick up on Friday afternoon (6th July - boy do I remember it)

The plan was simple - I was to catch the bus from where I worked (Alfred Herbert's in Foleshill) and pick the car up from town.

Then for some fatalistic reason at lunch time Friday a friend glimpsed me from behind a factory fence for what seemed a millisecond walking to lunch and offered to take me to the garage on the back of his scooter. This exchange would never had happened if I had been that millisecond out of his sight.

However I agreed to the lift and we were progressing down the Foleshill Road at no more than 5 mph (rush hour) when out of the corner of my eye I saw a white shape that had emerged from a side road then BANG - the car ploughed straight through my left leg such that when I landed on the road and tried to stand up I saw my left leg and foot below the knee was pointing at 90 degrees to the left.

Two ambulnaces arrived one for me and one for the driver of the white car as he had apparantly fainted when he saw my mangled leg.

I had indeed compound fractures of the tib and fib and was then obviously rushed to hospital where I stayed for three and a half months and six operations followed by seven months in a full plaster plus eleven months off work.

I never fully recovered from that incident mentally and most certainly physically as it has caused me enormous problems since and to this day.

So what should I have done differently or was it just fate - look at the variables - a split second eitherside of my mate calling me I would have missed him altogether or I could have refused the lift or had sandwiches instead of lunch or I could have kept my bike and drove it down on the Friday - the list can be endless when you think about it - talk about fate !!!.

I am still left with the legacy of that day and struggle to get around as my leg deteriorates even more with age but there are other worse cases and as long as I can still trek up the slope from Car Park C to my seat and watch CCFC I am eternally grateful.

PUSB

Disorganised1

Sweet Lord ~ how many.......

Starting with playing wag from school and on upwards.

Otis

One moment.

Was in a 3 piece band. One day got a phone call from a record company interested in us following a demo we had sent in, but we weren't there to take the call and the bass player's dad took the phone message, but his English was terrible as he was Polish and he didn't take the name or phone number down properly. We were never able to track down who it was.

:facepalm:

We split and the bass player joined Dexy's Midnight Runners and played on Come On Eileen and the drummer joined King and played on Love And Pride. I was left on my lonesome.

Just wish I was there to have taken the call. :facepalm::(

After the birth of my first child I was so proud how I had got to that moment and I swore to myself that I would never think back on my past and I would only live for the future with her.

I never wish back to any day in my life. I am where I am because that's my cycle of life, I didn't choose it and neither did anyone else, it happens and I live with it and enjoy it.

hotrod

I do not regret doing anything,but somethings having done them I do regret doing.

Regards.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Saying "no" to a gorgeous piece of tottie many years ago! I still dream of the night I could have had. :facepalm:

Skyblueloyal

My school days, if I knew then what I know now then maybe I could do a job I wanted to do and not a job just to pay my bills

Otis

Originally Posted by Houchens Head

Saying "no" to a gorgeous piece of tottie many years ago! I still dream of the night I could have had.

Out of curiosity why did you say no?

I'd say a toss up between crabs and a homosexual identity question period he was going through. :D

Marty

Saying "no" to a gorgeous piece of tottie many years ago! I still dream of the night I could have had. :facepalm:

Been there a few times myself. For me, it's taking so long into figuring out what i want to do with my life, even now i couldn't tell you what i'll be doing this time next year.

Houchens Head

Originally Posted by Houchens Head

Saying "no" to a gorgeous piece of tottie many years ago! I still dream of the night I could have had.

Out of curiosity why did you say no?

I'd say a toss up between crabs and a homosexual identity question period he was going through. :D

She was a health hazard.................. She had a ferkin' HUGE husband!!!

Otis

One night of passion for a lifetime without a penis? Quite probably a wise decision then. :D

Houchens Head

You're welcome! (Christ, I've had 8 kids, 3 marriages, 2 live-in eras - that's 5 full-time women over the years. Then on top of that, hmmmmm.... I'm not prepared to count!) ;)

wingy

You're welcome! (Christ, I've had 8 kids, 3 marriages, 2 live-in eras - that's 5 full-time women over the years. Then on top of that, hmmmmm.... I'm not prepared to count!) ;)

you should write a book,theres enough for a sequel as well, " back to the future"

Astute

You make me look a saint. I only have 7 kids, eldest nearly 26, youngest are nearly 2 and just turned 3. Only married once. Still married somehow :laugh: Lost count of the live-in eras :eek:

I do not have regrets in life. Life is too short to have regrets. I try to learn by my mistakes. Some mistakes are worth making more than once though :D I was a boxer and GK in my younger days until a bad injury stopped both. Could only play football for fun afterwards and had to give up boxing as could never be fit enough. My 23 year old lad moved in with us yesterday. Getting back in the boxing ring soon as he took it up recently. Hopefully will be able to show the younger lads that us old fogies can still do it. I was undefeated until I had to give it up, so I may not have age or fitness on my side but I will have misguided confidence. He is a Motherwell supporter and is looking forward to watching Juke playing again. For my sins I will be going to Motherwell v Dundee soon :facepalm:

Houchens Head

My eldest daughter has her 40th next month! Also forgot to mention the 14 grandkids and one GREATgrandson I have!

Wingy: I HAVE written my autobiography actually! ;) But it's only based on my childhood (up to the age of 16) I was brought up in care homes in the 1950's and 1960's. Spent 4 of those years in a strict convent in Brum (hence my love of nuns! ......NOT!!!)
Link to browse synopsis if interested...... http://www.lulu.com/product/file-do...gContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/3

Astute

Your eldest is nearly as old as me :laugh:

I have been told a few times that if I wrote my life story it would be classed as fiction :eek: Some of us just don't fit into what most see as having a normal everyday life do we HH? :D At least I have never been bored with life. Might have to slow down one day ;) Hopefully the day I slow down is the day I stop.

Houchens Head

I've slowed down a bit nowadays Astute. I played crazy 5-a-side footie until I was 45. I used to go caving regularly and have done the 3 Peaks Challenge for charity when I was 48. Now I'm knackered, retired through shit health problems (3 heart attacks) but try and do as much as I can. I volunteer twice a week and will be starting a new voluntary job as a mini-bus trainer (for a charity that provides a community mini-bus here on the island). I go sea fishing most days, which isn't the most stressful of pastimes I know, but it keeps me active. Just keep going till you drop mate. Best wishes! ;)

wingy

My eldest daughter has her 40th next month! Also forgot to mention the 14 grandkids and one GREATgrandson I have!

Wingy: I HAVE written my autobiography actually! ;) But it's only based on my childhood (up to the age of 16) I was brought up in care homes in the 1950's and 1960's. Spent 4 of those years in a strict convent in Brum (hence my love of nuns! ......NOT!!!)
Link to browse synopsis if interested...... http://www.lulu.com/product/file-do...gContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/3
will give this a read houch,sounds very insightful into the world of non-parental care ,especially where religion is involved ,thank god you wer'nt in some of the establishments run by priests

Users who are viewing this thread