Is the wage bill really as low as we think? (1 Viewer)

Sutty

There's been a fair bit of talk about how SISU have cut the wage bill since taking over, leading to the assumption by some that we can't be losing the 4 million a year that was quoted when they took over.

From that original squad, the high earners would probably have been Ward, Doyle, Marshall, Gray, De Zeeuw, Borrowdale possibly. The squad was also fairly big, but any bigger than it is now? It was filled with players like Simmonds, Thornton, Simpson, Tabb, who were either picked up from the lower leagues or from the youth system.

Now, I'd say McSheffrey, Wood, Cranie, King, Clingan, Eastwood, Carsley, Bell, all signed up when they were either established Championship players or, in the case of Cranie, an England U21 international. The rest of the squad then has a similar make-up to Dowie's, with younger or less established players making up the bulk of the squad. Baker, Deegan, Westwood, Jutkiewicz, Clarke, Keogh, O'Halloran, Hussey all immediately spring to mind.

All in all, I doubt the wage bill is actually that much lower, if at all, than it was when SISU took over. With crowds dwindling in comparison it's no surprise that the club's in a mess.

Dinyull

McSheff injury prone, King fresh out of jail, Clingan injury prone, Carsley old and injury prone, Bell injury prone.

I think witout doubt the wage bill is lower - especially with how keen they were @ getting rid of Doyle. Also wasn't Eastwood repotedly on £1k a week in his court case (I'm sure there are plenty of add on's).

Sutty

They were keen to get rid of Doyle, but then again they snapped Liverpool's hand off as soon as they loooked at Conor Thomas. Possibly just a case of trying to cut the losses by any means. Was Clingan particularly injury prone before coming to us?

sternslovchild

Since when did Scrabble count to the games tally?

Marcus Hall? Higher or Lower than o Hall?
Elliot Ward Higher or Lower than Cameron?
Dimi or Ireland?
Gray or Baker?

gouldberg

Marcus Hall was on pennies considering his role. My mother used to work with his brother so I knew them quite well. Certainly wasn't crippling the wage bill, I can assure you of that.

OyJimmy

Whilst our wage bill may seem high I don't think it's excessive relative to other similar sized clubs in this league. In fact it's probably quite low compared to other similar sized clubs. Our real problem is that we lack the revenue that other clubs have by owning their ground.

rob9872

I think you're over-estimating there jimmy

15,000 fans - lets say 5,000 of em spend a fiver that's £25k. If out of that costs for staff, and then buying the beer, pies etc plus tax is £20k we miss £5k x 23 games. Now £115k not to be sniffed at and we woudl rather have it than not, but I don't think that's the key ingredient as to why we're sufferring. On the other hand paying Kevin Kyle and Michael Doyle close to a £1m per season between them is part of the problem.

oakey

To get the facts straight:
Sammy Clingan appearances[sub app]:
2009/10 34[2]
2008/09 43[0]
2007/08 44[2]

Hardly injury prone, I submit. One injury this season, of course...so let's slag him off.

stupot07

To be fair as we've lowered the wage bill the attendances has dropped thus reducing income. In 2005/06 over average attendance was 21168 and this year is just under 16000

Users who are viewing this thread