Ince, Robins or Shaw (1 Viewer)

Diehard Si

We'll get there eventually.

Ince, Robins and Money

This is now the rumoured 3 for the job, with Ince rumoured to be about to sign 3 year deal TODAY.

* all info taken purely from tweets posted and retweeted this morning from various news/gossip sites and I i've no idea how accurate it is.

However given the short term nature if the rumour it won't take us long to find out.

Last edited:

skyblu3sk

CET:
SHAW, INCE AND ROBINS IN FRAME FOR MANAGER'S POST
RICHARD Shaw has made the shortlist of three candidates to take over as the new boss of Coventry City.

He is understood to be going head to head with Paul Ince and former Manchester United striker Mark Robins, who cut his managerial teeth at Rotherham and Barnsley.
All were due to have second interviews with City chiefs today as the three-horse race hots up for the permanent manager's job at the Ricoh Arena.
The Telegraph revealed last week that former England international Ince was among the list of nine candidates from 65 applicants, along with Richard Money and Phil Brown.
But 42-year-old Robins has emerged as one of the front runners, currently out of work after parting company with Championship side Barnsley in 2011 due to reported “differences“ with the board. Prior to that he had a relatively successful two-year spell with Rotherham United who he kept consistently in the automatic promotion places in League One and almost got them up despite a 17-point deduction.
Meanwhile Shaw also has the task of preparing the Sky Blues for tomorrow's trip to Shrewsbury, a match they go into joint bottom of League One (just above Colchester on goal difference) after two late goals denied them a share with leaders Tranmere on Saturday.
And midfielder Carl Baker admits that the players have compromised the caretaker manager's chances by suffering three straight league defeats since the departure of Andy Thorn. He confessed: “We feel low because we have let Shawsy down ­ we wanted him to get the job and if we had won the games he's been in charge I think he would definitely have got it.
“After such a great performance in the Birmingham game, the lads wanted to kick on but unfortunately it never went that way.
“I don't want to keep saying we've been unlucky because you can't be that unlucky but we haven't had a rub of the green and it's like that when you're down at the bottom.“
Baker conceded that the uncertainty has unsettled the players: “At the minute no-one knows if they are coming or going so I think they need to get it sorted as soon as possible.
“When Andy Thorn went, the lads all wanted Shawsy and Lee Carsley to take over because they really like them. But obviously results haven't gone our way so something needs to happen and sooner rather than later. Whether they give it to Shawsy or get someone new in I think everyone would have wanted it done already to be honest.
“I'd be lying if I said the lads don't talk about it a lot. It has been difficult in training when you know someone new might be coming in and wondering whether he is going to like you or change formation or personnel, or whatever.
“The lads know that they need to start performing better because at the minute whoever comes in, I think, will probably change the whole team because it's not good enough. This is Coventry City Football Club ­ a massive club ­ and it doesn't deserve to be where it is.
“The fans don't deserve to come to places like this and give two goals away like we have. The players are frustrated but it must be even worse for the fans, so we need to start pulling our fingers out and playing for 90 minutes.
“At the minute it is not acceptable and whoever comes in is going to have a tough job to be honest.“
Shaw was understandably angry and frustrated after seeing City play reasonably well and look comfortable for the majority of the game, only to come undone with two goals in the space of four minutes at the end after failing to score themselves when the opportunities arose. But the caretaker boss remains confident that he can turn things round.
“Decision making at both ends is massive in League One and at the moment we're not taking chances and conceding poor goals,“ he said.
“I am not saying it's a disaster because it is only six games gone and you are talking about 120 points to play for, but we need to rectify it sooner rather than later.
“When the players make errors like that you can't legislate for it. It's just the way the players have been recently and, for whatever reason, they can't seem to put 90 minutes together.
“There are a lot of positives and people who weren't here won't have seen the game. I've seen it with my eyes and I thought we played all right at times but the bottom line is we didn't get any points and got beat 2-0, and that's what will be written about in the papers.
“We can't keep coming in after every game and feeling sorry for ourselves. At some stage it will click and they'll see it through.
“We said at half time that they had done well and dug in, and even the first 15 minutes of the second half when Tranmere were on top they saw that difficult period through but I just think they get to a stage when some of them think they've done enough. Good players don't do that.“ Asked about the managerial situation, he said: “Forget that.
I'm just so disappointed ­ not just for myself but for the players because they need to be stronger with each other and start battling away and getting results. That's my only concern at the moment.“

Ccfc1979

According to the Telegraph, Shaw is one of the 3...not Money. And all this talk of no longer rewarding failure!!!

Otis

Not inspired by any of them at a time we needed an inspired choice, but if it's Ince it's Ince.

We need more Macclesfield though and a lot less Notts County.

If this turns out to be true our lot are going to be in for a big shock in going from "Shawsy" to "The Guvnor."

Lord_Nampil

If shaw gets it then the last 3 weeks have been a waste of time!!! Also would be a bad move and loose the fans even more if e is appointed, robins for me!!!

Diehard Si

I can't change the title of the post.

Looks like the rumour mill was slightly off target again! That mill is saying Ince has been offered the job though.

I'd say it probably goes Ince > Robins > Shaw in terms of probability.

How on earth Shaw can be on it is beyond me. Ok he's was a great player and I like him being there as coach, but he's clearly been a slow starter ( to be diplomatic ). Of course he could turn out to be great, but you rarely get time in football. Fans and boards are too impatient.

Diehard Si

Apparantly Free radio saying Money instead of Shaw.

He's also staying at the Royal Court, so he's obviously still around.

SkyBlueGuy

How on earth Shaw can be on it is beyond me. Ok he's was a great player and I like him being there as coach, but he's clearly been a slow starter ( to be diplomatic ). Of course he could turn out to be great, but you rarely get time in football. Fans and boards are too impatient.

It does not surprise me that he is reported to be on the short list. That doesn't mean they will give it to him. It seems only sensible to say he's still in with a chance when he will be managing for at least the next match. Also when you bear in mind that they want to keep him as back room staff when the new manager comes in, they won't want him feeling like he didn't get a fair shout.

It would be silly to announce that he has no chance when we still need him to try and get us a win in our next game/s!

Otis

It does not surprise me that he is reported to be on the short list. That doesn't mean they will give it to him. It seems only sensible to say he's still in with a chance when he will be managing for at least the next match. Also when you bear in mind that they want to keep him as back room staff when the new manager comes in, they won't want him feeling like he didn't get a fair shout.

It would be silly to announce that he has no chance when we still need him to try and get us a win in our next game/s!

Well that's what I'm thinking. May be just to keep him sweet.

Though dare say if he had won all the games for which he's been in charge he would have been a very easy and cheap choice for the board to make.

torchomatic

Can we just not have a manager? Don't want any of them particularly. As long as it's not Shaw then i'm not particularly bothered.

Sub

i am at the point where i do not care aslong as we start winning games and get the hell away from the bottom of the table !!!

Up North Sky Blue

Its a tough one, all 3 have done well in the lower leagues...the comment Waggot made about the new manager being heavily involved with the Academy favours Money, as he was director here and at Newcastle, he has also coached abroad.

I guess its all down to the final interviews.

Otis

Thing that worries me about Ince is that he is a 'name' and could be still living off his reputation as a player. Started off really brightly in management and then the last 2 outings for him have ended in failure.

Would prefer Robins, but none of those mentioned are on on my list of strong candidates.

Black6Osprey

All I can say is the other 60 odd candidates must have been bloody shit to arrive at this three.

But don't despair they've put a great squad of players together so surely they will be as successful picking a great out of work manager.

Otis

I thought they were good players cos Andy Thorn told me they were.

Having seen them now though I'm not so sure.

ccfcway

goalzone on twitter is very rarely wrong and is normally bang on the money,

they have said its money, robins and ince

Bookies go...

Ince - Evens
Robins - 6's
Money - 6's

And for fun

Richard Shaw 16's

Skybluestu82

Is it me or did I read that Shaw had said he wasn't part of the three.

Also was quite impressed with bakers comments! Nice to know they are actually one the same page as us so to speak.

Black6Osprey

If it goes to Robins I'm off to throw myself in the river.

The selection process makes no sense to me. We need to get promoted so the best way is to get a manager with a proven track record for achieving that.

Who the hell walks in to an interview is asked "Have you put together or managed a promotion winning side", gets an answer "No" and then gets the job.

I fancy being an airline pilot, here we go look "British Airways - Pilots needed - No Experience required". Great stuff.

Last edited:

cmoncity

At least ince wont take any shit off any of em which i believe is whats needed.robins a defo no no.his teams have a bad defence.im sure ince will at least sort out the none commited players.ince or brown for me.

PVA

The selection process makes no sense to me. We need to get promoted so the best way is to get a manager with a proven track record for achieving that.

Who the hell walks in to an interview is asked have you put together or managed a promotion winning side gets an answer no and then gets the job.

But he was never going to be able to get promoted with Barnsley. His job description would be to keep barnsley up, and he did that.

Look at Sam Allardyce last year. His target was to get promoted, which he did. However, with the sqaud he had, he should have absolutely walked the league. but he did a crap job and in the end they had to stumble through the playoffs.

So both reached their respective targets, but who did the better job? Robins IMO.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Who the hell walks in to an interview is asked "Have you put together or managed a promotion winning side", gets an answer "No" and then gets the job.

I fancy being an airline pilot, here we go look "British Airways - Pilots needed - No Experience required". Great stuff.

So on that basis, where are Reid, Adams, Dowie and Bothroyd when you need them?

Nick

Administrator
How the hell did Shaw make the top 3? I am just hoping they want either Ince or Robins and thought they would include Shaw as a gesture.

Black6Osprey

But he was never going to be able to get promoted with Barnsley. His job description would be to keep barnsley up, and he did that.

Look at Sam Allardyce last year. His target was to get promoted, which he did. However, with the sqaud he had, he should have absolutely walked the league. but he did a crap job and in the end they had to stumble through the playoffs.

So both reached their respective targets, but who did the better job? Robins IMO.

Yes but we don't need (I could be wrong on this) to avoid a relegation battle. We need to win games consistently and get promoted this season. Has he achieved this? Actions speak louder than words for me and we hear enough bullshit now about what we could and should be doing. I want an achiever in charge and I don't class avoiding relegation as achievement. Jesus we must be happiest fans of all time then with our string of achievements over the years.

Allardyce had a strong squad and they were in the top 2 all season until the last few games but got promoted. They were consistent and were successful. I don't see the downside. Our midfield I keep hearing is best in the league blah, blah, blah. It doesn't work like that but the best squad should be in the mix whoever the manager is. Mmm so what does that say about our squad.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Users who are viewing this thread