If we're actually linked with... (1 Viewer)

Shake_and_McPake

Facebook User
Neil Mellor, I think i'll kill Chris Coleman myself. No offence to Mellor, but he's garbage, and I for one will be upset to see him in a City shirt. Axed from PRESTON for Gods sake!

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I don't think Mellor is too bad to be honest, he's a proven goalscorer at this level which is more than Sears can say. He chips in with a few screamers as well... the only problem with Mellor is he has been injury prone and we will get the 'Fat Steven Gerrard' taunts lmao.

JonnyCCFC

This is exactly the type of player that we do not need, another average striker who will chip in with 7 or 8 goals a season at best and who has no outstanding qualities, we need players who will move us up a level and not just leave us dangling in the same place.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Scored 11 goals for Preston this season and hasn't been first choice for them, being used as a sub a lot of the time. I think he is available on a free transfer and I wouldn't say no to him being 1 of 4 of our strikers.

If we had a player who was going to score 20+ goals in a season, he wouldn't be here for very long. As soon as McSheffrey was capable of scoring over 15 he was out the door - despite being Coventry born and bred.

Get real mate, unless we can pick an unknown talent out from the lower divisions who works wonders, we simply don't have the money to bring in a proven 20 goal a season striker. Even if we did why would a proven 20 goal a season striker want to come here?? We like slating players before we've even seen them kick a ball.

JonnyCCFC

Im not slating Mellor, i was just saying i dont think he will move us on at all, he's at a similar level to what we already have e.g Morrison.

Im not asking for a 20+ goal striker (although it would be nice) but someone who offers something different with potential to improve.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
With our finances I think we need to find the right partnership with backup rather then 1 stand alone striker with 20 goals. If we can make a partnership who can score plenty between them then we will be laughing. We also need a midfielder who can bang in some goals as well, hopefully Baker can carry on his scoring form from Stockport for us next season. I'm as frustrated as everyone else I'd like to see us splash out on a striker but I know it's not going to happen. Obviously Mellor isn't the best striker in the Championship but he has scored 11 this season while not being top choice, if he can have a good season and score say 13-15ish goals with a strike partner who is going to score a similar amount then thats more realistic then asking for a single striker who will score 20+ goals. Also I think a team always needs 4 strikers and even if Mellor isn't first choice he would be quality as backup in my opinion especially for a freebie.

Anyways, tis only a rumour about Mellor, I can't see anything happening with it, but I think some fans are too quick to judge players before we have seen them properly...

TheSnoz

Ray Ranson has already reminded us this week that the club is losing money. If all the fans that are threatening not to go next season, where does that leave us? No fans, no money = no players.
Mellor is decent at this level, does score some special goals, but yes he is injury prone. Not sure his age goes against the type of player the club like to sign (as a rule).
Skyblueandy makes sense.

lord_garrincha

Coleman's interview post Watford suggested that he may only be able to bring in loans in freebies (or sell to buy... hmmmmm? Who have we got who's valuable???).

If this were to be correct then he would be the type of player we'll bring in.

Otherwise it's so long Westwood, and we use the funds from his sale.

Nick

Administrator
The thing is with Free Transfers is that it is usually higher wages and sign on fees :(

Users who are viewing this thread