If we do get relegated... (1 Viewer)

Yorkshire SB

defeatist attitude I know, but based on our current squad who do you see staying and who do you see leaving?

As we've been stripped of most of our decent players, I was finding it difficult to decide. I think cranie and clingan are the only dead certs to go. Though I would like to see the club get rid of some of the deadwood players as well.

My only hope is that with 3 or 4 teenagers in and around the first team that League 1 could be a better platform for them to develop.

I think this summer will be a very busy one whether we go down or not

Anyway thoughts...PUSB

CovScott88

I reckon the only players that'll go will be Richard Keogh, Sammy Clingan and Martin Cranie. Along with maybe released players like Freddy Eastwood.

Yorkshire SB

Do you think we'll lose Keogh? I'd like to see the manager make him captain, a focal point of the team, make him feel like he's our main man, encourage him to stay...a bit like we did with john hartson...

CovScott88

I do. Not because we want to, but because there will surely be a Championship side that puts in a reasonable offer for him which will get accepted by SISU. I would absolutely love him to stay, and I agree with you saying make him skipper and the main man, but I just can't see it happening. Even if he signs a new contract, that'll only help us to command a slightly higher fee for him. Really do hope I'm wrong though.

smileycov

Facebook User
I think keogh is destined for a greater level than we can offer him, as mentioned above would be nice to see the youngsters flourish. Think Murphy may leave, he seems to have sorted the shaky start out and will most likely play in the championship again. It will make a difference if we are bought out and can compete for sure. Maybe AT bought Cody to rip the 1st Division up next year for us!! Master stroke ha-ha

torchomatic

Don't worry, it won't happen. Trust me.

torchomatic

I agree. I think Keogh has the making of a Premiership defender and I think we could all see that the first game he ever played for us. With the passing of every game I find myself thinking "give him the arm band, Thorn". Hopefully, he'll be captain next season.

I think keogh is destined for a greater level than we can offer him, as mentioned above would be nice to see the youngsters flourish. Think Murphy may leave, he seems to have sorted the shaky start out and will most likely play in the championship again. It will make a difference if we are bought out and can compete for sure. Maybe AT bought Cody to rip the 1st Division up next year for us!! Master stroke ha-ha

covcity4life

just noticed 4 teams get promoted from league one

looking at league 2 table u have to expect us to be top 6 but it depends on how many from this squad we keep together

Nonleagueherewecome

Nah, but 4 teams get relegated from it..maybe that's what he meant? It's more likely to concern us than top 6 after our squad is decimated over the summer! I think L1 is going to be a bit of a reality check for us, as much as The Championship was after The Prem.

covcity4life

sorry meant relegation,tried to edit ages ago but internet went down

NLHWC im not expecting top 6,im hoping for it if we do indeed go down,we need to stop this losers tag our club has one day

Nonleagueherewecome

sorry meant relegation,tried to edit ages ago but internet went down

NLHWC im not expecting top 6,im hoping for it if we do indeed go down,we need to stop this losers tag our club has one day

Reckon we'd romp the Midland Alliance...

idris65

We will struggle in league one next season.Don't like to say it but I fear its true. I think we will be more like Plymouth. Not like Norwich or Southampton.

mark82

just noticed 4 teams get promoted from league one

looking at league 2 table u have to expect us to be top 6 but it depends on how many from this squad we keep together

Only 3 get promoted from league 1. 4 from league 2. We are not that bad.........

............yet!

mark82

Not sure Murphy will be in enough demand. Think he will stay which will be good as he has League 1 experience with Scunthorpe I believe (and got promoted).

Yorkshire SB

If we go down then where we finish is totally dependent on the clubs finances and who's in charge.
If we can balance the books, or even just improve them a little then we will be one of the favourites. We're probably an average championship club, similar to many others, however looking at League 1 we're a top 3 or 4 side and the best players of that level will want to play for us (large stadium, fan base, great training facilities and the overall pedigree of the club). The reason Leicester, Norwich and Southampton did so well was because it allowed younger players to flourish and gain confidence and they also saw the talent that is available in League 1 and bought it. If you win games at any level the fans will come, if we win 6 of the spin and are in the top 3 of the league we will get crowds of over 25k = more revenue, generally more pride for the club, which makes it more attractive to other players as well.

However this is obviously a model that we may not follow due to the financial constraints on the club and a plymouth scenario may be on the cards (though I would still argue we are a significantly bigger club than plymouth). One optimistic view is that we do seem to have a good crop of young players coming through and for their development this may prove to be a blessing...nevertheless I'd really rather we didn't take that chance!

covcity4life

its true,i kno its scary and a bit stupid considering our experience since prem relegation,but i do wonder what a winning season would feel like

IF we could keep most of squad(although we have heard rumours of a sisu firesale,lets hope hoff takes over) then we should challenge for top 6 at very least,that will mean more wins than losses and consecutive wins and unbeatons treaks etc,can you imagine that lol

also JPT is 6 games ,only 48 teams and we would be favourites...wembley trophy day anyone?

but then myu optimism goes and i iamgine doing a luton or bradford...so.....lets jsut pray if worst happens its the start of a new dawn

Users who are viewing this thread