If only... (1 Viewer)

bishbosh

The 'favourite league match' thread got me thinking...

Over the years we have had some great players (Household name types) come and play at the club; Speedie, Keane, Hutchison, Pearce and lots more. We've pretty much always been a selling club and often the Coventry careers of these great players didn't overlap but were of the same era. So as a bit of a fantasy question; if Hately and Pearce (for example) had spent several seasons at the club together could we have been a leading top division side?

Covstu

Sadly still not convinced, we just do not have the attraction or regular fan base to become a massive club. I think the nearest we got was the McAllister, Hadji, Keane era where we actually had an exciting, good team!

rob9872

I used to believe that if you weren't placed in London and didn't have the tradition / history of ManUre or Thieverpool, then you simply couldn't attract players of the right calibre to play for you. That myth has been completely dispelled with Man City proving that if you have enough cash asnything is possible. Therefore if (and its a big if) we had some sustained success in the 80's and were still in the top flight, we would have been an attractive proposition and the guy that bought Man City could have easily come knocking on a different Sky Blue door. Of course the Scousers stopping us playing in Europe didn't help the cause either.

Users who are viewing this thread