If City had appointed Brendan Rodgers... (1 Viewer)

CJparker

...would we be where we are today?

I guess the question is, can a good manager get dragged down by the turmoil around him?

Rodgers has had a united happy ship all pulling in the same direction, meanwhile we seem to be tearing ourselves apart - I wonder how much of on-field success is down to getting the boardroom / back-room stuff right.

ccfcdan

If City appointed Rodgers and provided him with the same backing as thorn we would still be bottom half, maybe not as desperate but not a great deal better.

Grendel

To be fair Rodgers appointment was a brave move at the time but it does show that managers can influence the performance of a team and this cannot be glibly put down to a manager over achieving.
Truth is sisu have botched every appointment. The first two were poor and now we don't even bother having a manager.

stupot07

Rodgers is doing a fantastic job - however Swansea's success has really been 8 years in the making since Kenny Jacket started to change the style and ethos of the football at the club, this was built on and enhanced by Martinez and Sousa, gradually improving the squad with players that fit in with that ethos. This has continued to be improved upon by Rodgers. They may not have a squad of stars but they have a squad of players who know the system and they individual jobs inside out.

I doubt Rodgers would have vastly improved our position. Our problem has been a lack of continuity not only with the high turnover of managers and playing staff, but also because our appointments have been so different often completely changing the ethos and style of play with every appointment.

Otis

I have no doubt that a good manager would have us in a better position that we are now. Whoever it were to be though, with these players, the improvement would not be that great and it would still almost certainly leave us in the bottom half of the table.

Brighton Sky Blue

Rodgers made his mistakes at Reading and is clearly a better manager for that. What tends to come across in his interviews however is that for him, getting players willing to buy into his style, and good enough to put it into practice, were key for embedding it in the club. It's quite possible that he'd be stifled in achieving this by a lack of funds or such players quickly being sold.

Grendel

What comes across in his interviews he has a brain and can communicate his ethos to others in a way they understand. He also looks like a guy you would respect and admire. Not someone you feel sorry for in contrast.

Rickstar8701

Rodgers is doing a fantastic job - however Swansea's success has really been 8 years in the making since Kenny Jacket started to change the style and ethos of the football at the club, this was built on and enhanced by Martinez and Sousa, gradually improving the squad with players that fit in with that ethos. This has continued to be improved upon by Rodgers. They may not have a squad of stars but they have a squad of players who know the system and they individual jobs inside out.<br />
<br />
I doubt Rodgers would have vastly improved our position. Our problem has been a lack of continuity not only with the high turnover of managers and playing staff, but also because our appointments have been so different often completely changing the ethos and style of play with every appointment.
<br />
<br />

Fancy saying ethos a couple more times for good luck???

...would we be where we are today?

I guess the question is, can a good manager get dragged down by the turmoil around him?

Rodgers has had a united happy ship all pulling in the same direction, meanwhile we seem to be tearing ourselves apart - I wonder how much of on-field success is down to getting the boardroom / back-room stuff right.

We possibly have our own Brendan Rogers in Lee Carsley? He just needs that 1st chance...

sky blue john

When was Mr Rogers sounded out for being our manager ?
Or is this post totally fictional ?
If so what hypothetical point are you trying to achieve ?

Otis

Tis a bit of a daft thread, cos managers can be successful at one club and fail at another. Lots of factors.

Users who are viewing this thread