Ibrox tragedy (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

Thanks for posting that NW, a sobering read indeed.

As someone who grew up in sectarian N.Ireland in the 80s, I know all too well about the divides between catholics and protestants, between Ranges and Celtic. I saw my own home town bombed on a couple of occasions, my dad was shot by a rubber bullet at an Orange Order March in 1984. Horrible times but glad that things seem to be better nowadays.

I've never experienced an Old Firm derby but it's one of those bucket list things I want to do (and I'm on the Rangers side of the 'divide'.

Harrowing for that gent to have experienced the 'rehearsal' and then the actual disaster. The line that got me was the following ' A growing line of corpses was laid out, their faces covered. I took off my coat and draped it over a young guy’s head and shoulders and sat back down beside him. Only then did the tears come'.

What must that have felt like? Shocking :-(

Sky Blue Pete

They are all the same these safety arseholes!! Anyone at the blues first f a cup game in the corner will tell you it was a disaster waiting to happen. Bcfc failed to get back to me. Ccfc came back and took a statement. Utter wankers

Brighton Sky Blue

Thanks for posting that NW, a sobering read indeed.

As someone who grew up in sectarian N.Ireland in the 80s, I know all too well about the divides between catholics and protestants, between Ranges and Celtic. I saw my own home town bombed on a couple of occasions, my dad was shot by a rubber bullet at an Orange Order March in 1984. Horrible times but glad that things seem to be better nowadays.

I've never experienced an Old Firm derby but it's one of those bucket list things I want to do (and I'm on the Rangers side of the 'divide'.

Harrowing for that gent to have experienced the 'rehearsal' and then the actual disaster. The line that got me was the following ' A growing line of corpses was laid out, their faces covered. I took off my coat and draped it over a young guy’s head and shoulders and sat back down beside him. Only then did the tears come'.

What must that have felt like? Shocking :-(

Have a read about the 1904 (I think) Ibrox disaster as well. It was an England Scotland game and they’d just installed a wooden grandstand. Too many people in the stand all rushing forward to see a shot and the stand collapsed beneath them so they fell something like 50-60 ft to the concrete. Others only survived by landing on the bodies of the first.

lifeskyblue

Thank you for posting both articles. Really is sobering for all who remember packed terraces at grounds and the crushes on leaving stadiums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thekidfromstrettoncamp

When in my teens in 63 the night we played Sunderland in the F A cup trying to get from Swan Lane into the samll area in front of the main stand.The crowd passing through between the main stand and the houses suddenly became a crush nothing moving either way and those of us in the middle getting squashed.I think that was the only time I can ever remember fearing for my life.If it had not have not have been for a very tall guy somewhere behind me shouting at the top of his voice"Stand still everybody".i think me and a few more would not be alive today. Since then always been very weary of any large gathering.

oscillatewildly

I never saw Colin stein play for us - My first game being the last of season 1974/75. His name though was synonymous with the (1971) tragedy.
Even to the point that it wasn't uncommon to hear the comment, "His goal caused the Ibrox disaster".
Whilst there undoubtedly is no malicious intent regarding that statement, how cruel can an innocent inaccuracy be that puts you on a par with the worst serial killers ever known?

Users who are viewing this thread