I love the FA cup (1 Viewer)

Gaz

Although we lost 3-0 today and are out of the competition.
I still love the FA cup.
It's a great chance for teams in different leagues to play each other.
Some great cup upsets over the years and some good ones again today.
It's not about saying we won't win the cup so why bother, it's about just giving it your best and just enjoying it.

Otis

Best tournement in the world

Used to be.

Still a very good competition, but once upon a time it was great.

1996 Manchester Utd
1997 Chelsea
1998 Arsenal
1999 Manchester United
2000 Chelsea
2001 Liverpool
2002 Arsenal
2003 Arsenal
2004 Manchester United
2005 Arsenal
2006 Liverpool
2007 Chelsea
2008 Portsmouth
2009 Chelsea
2010 Chelsea
2011 Manchester City
2012 Chelsea

Used to be that anyone could win it. Not anymore though apart from Pompey the last 20 years have been entirely predictable. The FA Cup used to be great because of its unpredictability (City, Wimbledon, Southampton, Ipswich, Sunderland, West Ham etc.)

Those days are gone and the competition is weakened because of the power in the game.

Otis

In the past I wouldn't miss the FA Cup final for the world. Would watch the whole day and used to get so excited.

As I say, in the past.

The way it is now I haven't even bothered to watch the last 5 years.

Such a shame.

Otis

Yep. Used to watch from the first minute right through to the end of the game. Always used to pick a team to support on the day.

Now it is just the same faces winning it year in year out and I really cannot bear to see Man U or Chelsea keep winning it or the rest of the elite bunch year after year after year.

Gaz

It is a bit sad when you see that list of recent winners.
Just shows where not only the FA cup is going, but football in general.

Hopefully the financial fair play rule will come into touch and help.

Still, there is more to the competition than just the final, but I do see what your getting at mate.

Brighton Sky Blue

Personally I just hope Mansfield beat Liverpool so that I don't have to see Sutton all over the telly every January. :facepalm:

Sutty

Best tournament in the world? Cardiff played all their reserves and kids. When you've got teams of that level not taking it seriously the competition is seriously devalued.

Full respect to AVB by the way, named a strong side, took us and the competition seriously.

Otis

It used to be that every single team would play their full strength teams in every single game.

Now they have bigger fish to fry with the likes of the Champions League etc.

Gaz, I think the strength of the FA Cup now lies in the opening 2 or 3 first rounds. There comes the unpredictability!

Users who are viewing this thread