I feel sick (1 Viewer)

shy_tall_knight

No its not the flu nor a hangover its the WASPS love in. WASPS took advantage of an opportunity created by our incompetent owners and a weak CCC / ACL but its just so hard to accept that a grounf built for us will never be ours.

However all these newly created Coventry based WASPS fans who are enjoying slagging odd CCFC ( I slag CCFC off also but I am a ST holder and lifelong fan I have a right) just a few thoughts

WASPS left Adams Park in a whimper 6,500 compare that to CCFC's departure from Highfield Road.

If WASPS win the ultimate prize in club rugby - the Heineken Cup - will there be an open top bus parade with 250,000 on the streets like in 1987, highly unlikely. This club did mean something to the City but unfortunately a combination of factors, our owners ACL etc.. have allowed an outside minority sports club to get on the cheap and relegate us to secondary tenants in our "own" stadium - to the delight of far too many local people.

PS following rugby doesn't move you up the social class structure.

Hobo

This is a wasps thread Nick

Evo1883

Ironic they sell over 27000 tickets for their first match , its also hilarious the amount ofcoventry folk on facebook etc who are adopting this club as its new "team" .
this is the way i see it " fuck em all " thats as mature as i can get on the subject

Nick

Administrator
Ironic they sell over 27000 tickets for their first match , its also hilarious the amount ofcoventry folk on facebook etc who are adopting this club as its new "team" .
this is the way i see it " fuck em all " thats as mature as i can get on the subject

Are most of them hardcore SISU out, NOPM types too?

Evo1883

Probably , i would also place money that within a year the attendances at the ricoh for the wasps will be even more pathetic than at adams park

Nick

Administrator
Probably , i would also place money that within a year the attendances at the ricoh for the wasps will be even more pathetic than at adams park
I think it depends on our situation, if sisu are gone it could do. While they are here I can see people going to wasps over ccfc out of spite.

Moff

No its not the flu nor a hangover its the WASPS love in. WASPS took advantage of an opportunity created by our incompetent owners and a weak CCC / ACL but its just so hard to accept that a grounf built for us will never be ours.

However all these newly created Coventry based WASPS fans who are enjoying slagging odd CCFC ( I slag CCFC off also but I am a ST holder and lifelong fan I have a right) just a few thoughts

WASPS left Adams Park in a whimper 6,500 compare that to CCFC's departure from Highfield Road.

If WASPS win the ultimate prize in club rugby - the Heineken Cup - will there be an open top bus parade with 250,000 on the streets like in 1987, highly unlikely. This club did mean something to the City but unfortunately a combination of factors, our owners ACL etc.. have allowed an outside minority sports club to get on the cheap and relegate us to secondary tenants in our "own" stadium - to the delight of far too many local people.

PS following rugby doesn't move you up the social class structure.

STK, I am not sure if the love in will be permanent.

I disgaree with Wasps being here, on account of the fact I dont agree with franchise teams, but accept that they seem to have done well on the marketing for their first game.

I would be interested in what the actual real figures for the first game are though, rather than the lazy reporting the Telegraph have done on the attendance. I would be keen to know how many free tickets were given away, this includes the 3.5k but also how many kids are going free for adults, and how many JLR free or discount tickets?

I would also like to know how many of their Wycombe season ticket holders actually turn up? Its all well and good to include them in the figure but actually how many will be bothered to actually turn up? and who will keep coming match after match? I suspect they will be refunding a fair few of these.

In reality once the first few matches have passed, and the novelty has worn off, I suspect Wasps crowds will be nearer to their Wycombe levels. Coventry still is more predominantly a football city and although there are some fans that may cross over, most wont attend Wasps games and are not interested. The traditional Rugby fans in the City seem to be sticking with the City's own Rugby team which is fantastic. If they are banking on the floating fan, they may well be dissapointed, as with the football it has been seen that many sports fans are now finding other things to do, and there is the matter of expense to consider and Wasps are not a cheap team to watch.

Then there is the novelty factor of top level sport which some people seem to have banged on about. In reality Wasps are currently a mid table team. They win some games, lose some, and dont threaten in the Cups, Europe or the top four. Yes it might be fun for a while but when people realise for the time being they are supporting a middling team with no real current chance of success, they may well turn away, especially looking at how many years lack of success teams have had in the city. Wasps I suspect will need to do something soon in terms of success to keep hold of these fans looking for some glory, as if not the floaters will float away.

I suspect then that this time next year, their attendance levels will have found their more natural level and they will be significantly lower than this season. I wonder how many would turn out for London Irish at home next year on a cold January sunday?

I could be wrong, but I am pretty confident this wont quite turn out to be the marketable opportunity that Eastwood and others think it is.

lewys33

This is the thing that FUCKS me off more than anything. People so against the move to Northampton and NOPM yet embrace the fact that a franchise has bought the Ricoh. It is unbelievable.

I for one don't just drop my morals just to spite SISU. I hate SISU as much as the next guy but I would rather a SISU owned Ricoh than a "originally" London based rugby club owned Ricoh.

chiefdave

I find it thoroughly depressing. The thought of going to a Wasps branded ground to see our home games is sickening.

SISU certainly created a situation that allowed this to happen and failed to act at every point they could have raised a valid objection but equally the council and Higgs have acted in a disgraceful manner. At the very very least there should have been a consultation with the people of Coventry and those it would impact such as CCFC and CRFC. The way everything was done in secret and then rushed through pretty much before anyone knew what was really going on is disgusting.

italiahorse

This is the thing that FUCKS me off more than anything. People so against the move to Northampton and NOPM yet embrace the fact that a franchise has bought the Ricoh. It is unbelievable.

I for one don't just drop my morals just to spite SISU. I hate SISU as much as the next guy but I would rather a SISU owned Ricoh than a "originally" London based rugby club owned Ricoh.

A lot of people are like me and have got fed up of it all the uncertainty.
The Wasps takeover is far from ideal but it seems positive, for some reason, after years of Sisu plunder.

chiefdave

The Wasps takeover is far from ideal but it seems positive, for some reason, after years of Sisu plunder.

I can't see a single positive. We, as a city, have aided the removal of a club from it's home. We are up alongside Milton Keynes now. It will have a negative effect on CCFC and CRFC, where are the positives?

lewys33

A lot of people are like me and have got fed up of it all the uncertainty.

I really fail to see how it will prove positive in the long term.

Nick

Administrator
I can't see a single positive. We, as a city, have aided the removal of a club from it's home. We are up alongside Milton Keynes now. It will have a negative effect on CCFC and CRFC, where are the positives?
People can watch top class rugby.

italiahorse

I really fail to see how it will prove positive in the long term.

Your probably right but I remain positive that something will come out of this.
The point I think I'm making is that we were just spiraling to nowhere, but this to me seems to at least having us treading water.
The only fact I know now is that CCFC will never, ever, own their own stadium and that was the case before Wasps came into the picture.

There's room to personalise the stadium for both teams and don't forget the majority of it is sky blue anyway.
Tomorrow when I go up it will be CCFC's stadium and I will enjoy the day.
Sunday will be strange though.

chiefdave

Your probably right but I remain positive that something will come out of this.
The point I think I'm making is that we were just spiraling to nowhere, but this to me seems to at least having us treading water.
The only fact I know now is that CCFC will never, ever, own their own stadium and that was the case before Wasps came into the picture.

Prior to this there was a hope that if SISU didn't buy the ground someone would come in and buy the club and ground. Unless Wasps buy is, which is unlikely to say the least, we are now a lot less attractive proposition to any potential buyer, it's not like they were queuing up before so how hard will it be to find a replacement for SISU now?

italiahorse

Prior to this there was a hope that if SISU didn't buy the ground someone would come in and buy the club and ground. Unless Wasps buy is, which is unlikely to say the least, we are now a lot less attractive proposition to any potential buyer, it's not like they were queuing up before so how hard will it be to find a replacement for SISU now?

What evidence do you have that makes you believe that Sisu would ever sell the club?
TF said it would only be sold at top of the business cycle.

chiefdave

What evidence do you have that makes you believe that Sisu would ever sell the club?
TF said it would only be sold at top of the business cycle.

So the reason that we should see Wasps coming in as a positive is that there is zero chance SISU will ever sell the club? Equally I could ask what evidence you have to suggest that SISU will at no point in the future ever sell the club?

derbyskyblue

I think once the new wasps logo seating is installed (and it will be, have no doubts) that would be pretty much it for ccfc, assuming no new stadium is built, which again it wont be. I dont think many ccfc fans will turn out in a completely wasps branded stadium.

italiahorse

I think once the new wasps logo seating is installed (and it will be, have no doubts) that would be pretty much it for ccfc, assuming no new stadium is built, which again it wont be. I dont think many ccfc fans will turn out in a completely wasps branded stadium.

There's room to brand both.
Why would they waste money changing the seat colours.

CCFC/Sisu/us need to engage Wasps on branding areas for CCFC.
We can all sit round and be victims

Be positive and enjoy the following competition.

'Using the Black seats that spell CCFC can you reposition to spell the word WASPS?'

Nick

Administrator
There's room to brand both.
Why would they waste money changing the seat colours.

CCFC/Sisu need engage Wasps on branding areas for CCFC.

Be positive and enjoy the following competition.

'Using the Black seats that spell CCFC can you reposition to spell the word WASPS?'
Why would it be wasting money?? Why would they waste money putting signage up, rebranding the tunnel? They are making it their home which they are fully entitled to do.

italiahorse

So the reason that we should see Wasps coming in as a positive is that there is zero chance SISU will ever sell the club? Equally I could ask what evidence you have to suggest that SISU will at no point in the future ever sell the club?

What's your plan to move things on.
Continue to be a victim ?

italiahorse

Why would it be wasting money?? Why would they waste money putting signage up, rebranding the tunnel? They are making it their home which they are fully entitled to do.

There is room for both. In fact there are signs up for both clubs.
Sisu need to commit to the Ricoh and then we can move this on.

They have said they won't change the seat colours. You obviously don't believe them :)
Whats to stop us getting our own pitch side advertising?
Talk to Wasps and they will be receptive. It's in both parties interests.

SkyBlue_Bear83

If we were both going to be there long term then I could just about take Wasps being spelled out at one end as a compromise, if they ever replace the colour of the seats that would finish the club assuming we are still there.

Users who are viewing this thread