Hughton wins Blues race (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

ChrisHughton_2551814.jpg

Skysports.com understands Chris Hughton has won the race to be Birmingham's new manager and should put pen to paper on Wednesday.

Hughton is close to tying up a deal to become Alex McLeish'sreplacement at St Andrews with terms close to being agreed on a 12-month rolling contract.

The former Newcastle boss has edged ahead of rival candidate Roberto Di Matteo in the battle to take charge of Blues.
Hughton has been out of football since parting company with Newcastle after a 3-1 defeat at West Brom in early December, despite the Magpies being in mid-table in the Premier League in their first year back in the top flight following promotion.

Impressed

He has impressed Birmingham acting chairman Peter Pannu when being interviewed during the past few days and City owner Carson Yeung is expected to ratify Hughton's arrival.

It will be Yeung's first managerial appointment since taking control of Blues during the early part of the 2009-10 campaign.

Hughton will have the task of picking up the pieces at City after McLeish's resignation 10 days ago and he has since replaced Gerard Houllier as manager of Aston Villa.
Yeung is looking for Blues to regain their Premier League status at the first attempt, a feat achieved by Hughton while he was at the helm of the Magpies.

Hughton would have been my choice for CCFC - a quiet dour but effective manager loyal to his club and honest with his views and aspirations.

The Blue Noses have done well here.

pUSB

Covstu

good choice in my view also, decent manager and they could do worse. I was hoping Macca would have went there!!!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Think it is a good appointment and think he is a decent manager. Do think he got the benefit of inheriting a decent squad at Newcastle though, so for me the jury is still out. Has had a good grounding in the teams he has worked with so the expectation is he should do ok.

Saw him coach at the Grassroots Football show at start of June...... have to say I wasnt that impressed but it cant be easy to do the training under those conditions so maybe he had an off day

Users who are viewing this thread