How will we deal with relegation? (1 Viewer)

Mr T - Sukka!

If we do go down will we bounce back like Leeds, Leicester and Norwich?

Could it be the best chance to rebuild and bounce back?

Last edited:

Grendel

We said we would bounce back 11 years ago. I think we beat Stockport on game one and every said this is going to be easy.
We have not got the resources. I think we will be mid-table at best in League One.

sky_blue_up_north

Look at the likes of Sheff Wed far bigger club that us... that will be our level middle table league 1. The clubs that have bounced back all invested on the field we cannot do that

NINOOVCOV

This is why we need to get sisu out now, relegation is not a option but looking likely, especially with sisu at the helm. If we do go down then we just have to get on with it but remember Cov have not got a good record of winning championships. Doncaster, Bristol, and Forest have changed things already and we need to do the same before its too late, so we need to get sisu out now and then support the team.

Lord_Nampil

It depends how long it takes the kids to settle ! If we have say 8 academy lads who look fine in the championship then if religation did happen we wud have the foundations there!!! I don't think it's about the players if we went down but I think it would be the fans and how they react!!

Otis

This is why we need to get sisu out now, relegation is not a option but looking likely, especially with sisu at the helm. If we do go down then we just have to get on with it but remember Cov have not got a good record of winning championships. Doncaster, Bristol, and Forest have changed things already and we need to do the same before its too late, so we need to get sisu out now and then support the team.

But we can only get them out now if there is a viable alternative.

We can't just get them out and then cross our fingers that someone comes in. Unless we are expecting some fairy godmother to suddenly pop up and do her stuff of course. :(

Marty

Mid table next season with a slow decline towards league two.

stupot07

No chance of bouncing back- sisu will have to cut the wage bill further to adjust to losing £4m payments we receive. And I wouldn't pin our hopes on the kids, the vultures will appear and sisu will sell them to sustain us for another year.

Nonleagueherewecome

Listening to the end of Charlton-Tranmere today was interesting. They're unbeaten this season but they've got through a couple of managers and one hell of a lot of players since relegation. Probably a similar sized and profile club to ours, they've invested but generally in free's or promising young players from the lower divisions alongside the former youth players who've stuck around and stayed loyal and a bit of ex-Championship quality (Wright-Phillips). In fact they've signed loads of players that I wanted us to go for, like Danny Green from Dagenham-people who don't cost a bomb, are on sensible wages, and are ambitious and driven. But whereas they backed the manager sensibly, we..well, it's well documented!

I would like to think we could do something similar, but it would likely take us 2-3 seasons. Unfortunately, we may still be owned by SISU-in which case I can see nothing other than a lower mid-table struggle at best followed by relegation to L2 and maybe even lower as player after player is sold to replace diminishing gate and TV income. Yep, that bad; Grimsby were in our division when we dropped into it, remember?

skyblueinBaku

There will be a lot of hot air from Dildo & Clowning (AKA Laurel & Hardy) about loan deals to get us promoted back to the Championship. Mr Brody will repeat his stuff about a 'franchise player'. Iggy Oggy will tell us that SISU have learned their lesson and will be more open with the fans.

We will then sell any player that is capable of movement (or just breathing will do); we will struggle to get up as far as mid-table, so Dildo will say that reduced gate receipts mean that costs will have to be cut - and so on ad infinitum.

Relegation? Le plus ca change................

skyblueinBaku

On the other hand, relegation is far from certain. I honestly believe we can get out of this mess as long as AT can get a fighting spirit into every one of the players.

wingy

Getting gates of 20-25000 down at charlton ,would you believe it ,as good if not better than the prem or this league

Mr T - Sukka!

Sky Blue John, burying your head in the sand and pretending there is not a problem is overly negative!

Have you looked at the leauge table? If you actually read my post i did say IF we go down. Got to look to the futre mate, even if its not too bright.

Disorganised1

Pretending that if SISU left some golden fairy would step in is burying your head in the sand. Its hang on and hope for the time being.

I don't actually see a way out at the moment, but the less we drop the distance it is back. However, I started supporting Coventry when they were in the 3rd division, and two men changed the way the whole City thought.

Grendel

The chances are that we will go down. It is a struggle to identify 3 teams worse than Coventry but there are 4 or 5 who may prove to be as poor. Ulimately lack of goals will cost us dear.
Given the perilous financial state of the club this really could be a watershed season. Relegation will have catastrophic implications. Sadly many floating fans seem apathetic to the plight - "i will not go until we start winning" etc. People should realise unless we stay in this league we may not have a future worth considering.

Astute

Grimsby were in our division when we dropped into it, remember?

Think you are taking it a bit far now :laugh: They did beat us at HR though :(. A crowd of 5,000 was great for them. They are the only team I know of to ever have their own ground in a different town. Coldest ground in England I know of. One of my lads is a Grimsby Town season ticket holder :facepalm:

torchomatic

I suppose the same way as if you were run over by a bus tomorrow. Or maybe by a heard of enraged buffalo storming down Sky Blue Way. Or the same way as if you were abducted by martians.

My tip would be to worry about it if it happens. Not before it has.

If we do go down will we bounce back like Leeds, Leicester and Norwich?

Could it be the best chnage to rebuild and bounce back?

torchomatic

In England. The coldest ground I've been to is Arbroath. It's right on the coast, on the beach in fact. That cold North Sea wind goes right through you. Brrr....etc.

Think you are taking it a bit far now :laugh: They did beat us at HR though :(. A crowd of 5,000 was great for them. They are the only team I know of to ever have their own ground in a different town. Coldest ground in England I know of. One of my lads is a Grimsby Town season ticket holder :facepalm:

TommyAtkins

Relegation will almost certainly mean administration for the club, given the loss of income.

That will mean Cov will start in League One with minus 10 points (possibly more if Cov end up with a Luton-style scenario).

With a weakened squad, reduced income, reduced attendances and a points deduction, we will drop into League Two by the end of the season.

Even new owners will be hard pushed to turn things around, especially with the new financial rules.

A very real chance we will be a struggling League Two club within 2-3 years

Nonleagueherewecome

But I thought the SISU masterplan was to reduce all costs. You can justify doing that a lot more in L1 and L2. They must have worked out that if almost the entire squad is youth players, that will save enough on outgoings to balance out the loss in revenues. Not enough for us to be competitive on the pitch, but who cares about that? An average L1 or L2 club will pay out much, much less on wages than we are-so it's probably easier to make us break even that way, which is the sole ultimate SISU objective, right? That certainly seems to be what they've going about as evidenced by this seasons squad!

I've said it time and again: hedge fund objective=reduce all costs to bare minimum until loss isn't being made, regardless of performance, end product or customer satisfaction. On paper it goes from loss-making to self-financing, and you sell something you got for nothing for a profit. Of course, no-ones ever tried it with football before :facepalm:

TommyAtkins

"I've said it time and again: hedge fund objective=reduce all costs to bare minimum until loss isn't being made, regardless of performance, end product or customer satisfaction."

I said this on GMK right from the start of SISU's involvement.

SISU will prioritise running the club as a viable business, even at the expense of results/performances. This was blatantly clear. Consequently, this is why I am not too bothered about SISU's actions because it has been staring fans in the face.

In many ways, this is a sound policy, especially in the light of recent economic dynamics.

Unfortunately, the cost of failure in football will result in another loss of income, prompting the need for further clubs.

Mr T - Sukka!

So we are now just going into February tomorow and we are rock bottom.

This post was back from November. I wonder where the positive thinking is now? Torchomatic etc!

Just goes to show we have some deluded fans about. We not even close to getting our selves out of this. We are nowhere near good enough!

Users who are viewing this thread